Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I thought everyone would want to see some more pictures of my rotten fir  ;D

gg

thecfarm

Looks like foder for my OWB.  :D  I just about cut everyone down I come to now. Let something good grow. I did have a few acres of real pretty stuff. No rot!!! I had some areas they grow about 4 inches across and break over about 3 feet high. Than I did have a lot of standing dead fir. OWB took care of that problem.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Speaking of TSI.. Have any of you guys ever heard of a futures contract on timber cutting?  Say a binding agreement where i do the TSI now out of my pocket to secure first rights of refusal on subsequent harvests?   Not saying at a cut throat price or anything.. Just something to ensure if i labor to improve a stand i/my son will get the chance to cut it when ripe.
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Mike, There are all sorts of timber lease contracts.  I'd structure without the optionality you described.  If you do the TSI that means you should do the harvest.  You made an investment into their woods.  If you google Timber Lease Agreement you should find some that provide a starting point. 
Liking Walnut

62oliver

Not cutting nothin, but finally warming up here a bit, I think tomorrow I'm gonna drag the generator out and get it warmed up and take it for a rip  8) 8) 8)
The trails need a bit of grooming, snowshoeing is getting too hard on these old knees. :-\

Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

BargeMonkey

I was just talking trash about a 3325 and then im running the doors off one down over the bank getting wood out. Cant say a bad word about that 440D, been a good machine. 

Had some firewood logs not get pulled on that last job before it got wet, dry firewood is at a premium right now so went up and should have 3-4 triaxle loads to put on the pile.

Ive about had it cutting firewood 👎

100+gal of fuel doesnt go to far.

This is the first job ive ever cut much White Oak on, just dont have it over our way. Cut my road in today, release the buncher in a few days 😂 get tires on my slasher this weekend, make a nice pile of 8ft wood up the road for the pulpman.

thecfarm

BargeMonkey,looks like some knarly wood,on your left,in that first picture. That would not even make straight smoke. Old Saying from my Father. I noticed the stone wall too. Looks like you have just about as much snow as I do now. Temps in the high 40's and 24 hours of a hard rain melted the snow I had.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Is there a good market for white oak?  The pic where you got one in the grapple is what most of the stuff i cut looks like.  Its kinda time consuming to get short ties out from between the crooks.  Your firewood prices up there right now are probably way better than tie.  That one youre holding would make a switch tie at 16'6 pay 44cents if its WO.

Been a hard winter here. Id be on easy street if i had anything left to sell.
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Im jealous of your snow conditions barge. Was talking to a small time logger friend of mine and he said he is about shutdown as his 540 skidder is having trouble navigating the deep snow.  Said he spends the majority of the day just trying to get the skidder to the trees. Hopefully a few warm days will make it easier to get around.

teakwood

Said he spends the majority of the day just trying to get the skidder to the trees

Wouldn't it be better to just stay home and do something else on such days?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

chevytaHOE5674

Well it isn't just one day it's been that way since Christmas. Most guys can't afford to just sit home that long, so they struggle along trying to get anything done so they at least have some income.

BargeMonkey

I don't know how some of these guys do it that are huge into the iron payments, struggle just to get stuff going nevermind actually get wood cut. Not quite sure where my good logs are going now. 👎
got 6-10 inches in spots, not bad really, no shoveling around stumps yet 😂 the picture was from early in the day, some of that stuff is 18", got a couple there pushing 28-30" on the stump, should pay ok, white oak just doesn't exist right by me, this job is 15 miles north of home and it's loaded with it. I had one skid road that never got picked up, most of it isn't bad looking stuff, right now I'm one of the few with a fair amount of dry wood left, bells circle saw doesn't help, you can smoke a 100 cord pile in no time, my father loading and myself in the cab it's 3+ cord an hr without hesitation.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

oh don't get me wrong, it's a space ship compared to what I had ran. I used to hustle to chew up a triaxle load a day, that doesn't go 3hrs now. just means I've got to actually cut some wood this yr to keep the thing fed 😂 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

barbender

Gearbox had the clutches go out in his track skidder, and had to drag himself out of the woods with the winch. He sourced parts for it and had it back up running in a matter of days, but he still has to have a big dummy like me post his pictures for him😂😂😂 

barbender

Myself, I've been on absolutely the most challenging and maddening job I've ever forwarded. I told the processor operator that every day is like another level in a video game- you see some of the challenges you overcame in the last level, with exciting new ones to test your skills. Today's challenge, a series of s curves with this power line overhead. That's 1-2' of clearance over my boom, while I am trying to not knock the power line down, I also need to be mindful of the blueberry patch, try not to run those over. Private land owner, this guy is way too much.

Banjo picker

I wouldn't want to be that close to that power line. :o  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

teakwood

At least here the lower line is the ground, so not much danger. The higher one is the hot wire.  On lots of jobs with the excavator i have to be careful because of them
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Gearbox

Barbender's  new best friend . Better him than me . HEHE
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Resonator

Maybe you could blade scrape the trail down some under the high line, might give you a little more wiggle room.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

mike_belben

Think i still have a lotta drive parts for that old bobcat somewhere
Praise The Lord

barbender

Resonator, you don't understand the land owner  I'm working for. He doesn't want me to run over his blueberry plants, let alone dropping the blade and digging a trench. Worst land owner ever, BAR NONE!!

dustintheblood

I get how fussy people can be but in defense of the landowner, I had no clue what a blueberry bush was or how much $$$ went into an acre until I spend two years in Nova Scotia.  Big $$$ inputs and big $$$ returns.  Every bush counts for them.

That said, if he wants the timber out and his cash - plus the blueberries - something's gotta give. 

Cake and eat it too sorta thing.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!