iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on March 21, 2018, 11:55:47 PM
Lotta nice iron
We try, nothing I've got is beat to death or run ragged, grease by the case. 

BargeMonkey

Anyone who snowshoes for fun needs their head examined 😂 nice 2 mile walk today out into nowhere, dragged the belly pans most of the way out chewing and spinning. Got some smoking ash to go cut and not waiting for the price to drop. 

starmac

Glad you are still able too, if it was mine and I couldn't get a snow machine to it, I would have to leave it till next years freezup.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Quebecnewf

Ice bridge still holding here . We went yesterday and cut a couple loads of 8' fir for a small order of 2x4 and 2 X 6

Getting to the end of our cutting season

Quebecnewf

Mountaynman

snowshoe for fun I laugh as well maybe some of them use it for a workout hunted white rabbits on snowshoes in my younger days even cut trees a couple times with the small commercial ones that was enough of that for me those days are behind me sure some of the north country fellas have some stories about cutting on shoes its a whole new ball game
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Matt601

Down here in Mississippi we got 6 inchs of snow and the schools was shut down for a week all the stores closed and roads too. There no way we would try to log in that.  
No matter where you go there you are!!!

Skeans1

Are we the only place that logs year round rain, shine, snow, sleet? There's no break up here even if we get snow if it rains here well that's 9 to 10 months of the year we'd be shut down. The only time I can think of I remember being shut down was for fire season level 4 woods are closed probably 25 years ago was the last time they did one of those, because if they do we all go on vacation and no one is around to help with fire.

coxy

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 22, 2018, 10:59:38 PM
Anyone who snowshoes for fun needs their head examined 😂 nice 2 mile walk today out into nowhere, dragged the belly pans most of the way out chewing and spinning. Got some smoking ash to go cut and not waiting for the price to drop.

you have to get smaller snowshoes then its fun i have trouble going down hill with them always land on my face and flop around like a fish out of water to get right side up again  :D :D

starmac

Where we have been working the last 3 years, we are done from break up till freeze up, too much swamp between high ground and the sales. We pulled the equipment this year though, we have one only 11 miles off the road, if the summer is dry enough, we might get in to in july or so.

I have a pair of small aluminum snowshoes, that I have never found anything fun about.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mike_belben

With the liability culture taking over, They cancel school for forecasts of snow.  2" had them closed for a full week.

That said, my area is crazy treacherous with snow.   steep, twisty roads where 2 duallies can barely pass each other and there is no guardrail or even spare inch of tar.  It generally melts in a day or two but if not you get problems.  Its the entire infrastructure from a hundred years back.  Paved cart roads, no plowing or sanding.  It snows, we wait.

Im okay with it.
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I think the bills keep coming around here. ;)  Food must be put on the table. I doubt many stop logging because of snow or rain. And these are the guys that are cutting with one skidder and a chainsaw. They are out in the weather. Yes,with the spring thaw,most stop. But than there are some land owners that need the money and let them in to cut. ::)   Ruts and I do mean ruts. :o  :-\
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Cut some really nice Black Locust, just one of several, probably tallest we've cut 103' to top.  Should have rotated it I guess.  

A loading deck jammed up with Walnut & Cherry and a bit of oak.  21mbf and can I say I hate Doyle.  Hard to sell the cherry here in VA, only 600-800 for it.  We got almost a dollar for this 6500 feet and I was ok with that.  Next time I'm shipping to PA though, or sending directly to China myself.  The walnut was not good, bird peek kept lots of nice logs out of veneer.  Oak was ok, nothing special.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Big multistem cherry I had posted a picture of before it was cut.  Some folks were worried it would split but fortunately it did not. Nice crotch there and the stump is cut 2' up with that oval, going to dig it out and do something with it, wish I lived closer to TulePeak, I'd drive it over to him and let his imagination do something great with it.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

You can see the size of some of the cherry, just big trees.  We took out 6500 feet of it and have another 6500 to go.  Think I might send those to PA for better pricing.  Only ding on this is the sap rings are a little large but you can see on the landing deck that they don't look bad.  Almost no gum.
Liking Walnut

Quebecnewf

I cut my logs with my snowshoes on my feet all the time. No choice in the matter. No snowshoes, no walking in the woods in the winter.
Quebecnewf

mike_belben

Boy i got slammed with a free dirt surprise this morning.  7 loads today, i think thats 25 or 26 so far.. And a ton more coming monday.   I flogged that little bobcat the entire day trying to keep a spot open but just cant keep up.  Really need to get dozer back together.

The loader is a burnt to the ground and put back together again, gas powered turd thats completely gutless and squeeling all the time.. But something i cant go a day without!  Everyone needs a skidsteer or loader tractor.

Hopefully this time next year two semis will be able to pass one another and circle around in the yard.  I dont know exactly what business will be here, but it should serve the grandkids well one day. 

Praise The Lord

Ljohnsaw

How high are you building up?  Are you having the dump trucks roll over the dirt to compact it for you?  I put from zero to 3 feet of fill on a hill and had the truck roll the previously spread load each time he came with a new load.  Rock hard to dig in but didn't have any later settling.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Maine logger88

finished up the last load I can get to today now just going to have to wait till things dry up. Looks like we will lose what little frost we got next week it's supposed to be warm. 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Stoneyacrefarm

Mainelogger. 
That's a nice picture right there with everything lined up.  :laugh:
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Maine logger88

That's what I thought to! Too bad it was facing the sun and didn't come out very clear

mike_belben

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 23, 2018, 07:05:45 PM
How high are you building up?  Are you having the dump trucks roll over the dirt to compact it for you?  I put from zero to 3 feet of fill on a hill and had the truck roll the previously spread load each time he came with a new load.  Rock hard to dig in but didn't have any later settling.
No, it wouldnt be possible with this stuff, the trucks can just barely pull the tailgate out of the pile.  And i can only flop it out with the bobcat, any deeper than 6" and i have to lay down slabwood tracks to drive over it, like a wheelbarrow over a manure mountain.  Ive been doing this pretty much every other week or so for a year.  You really have to spread it in lifts, let the rain wash out the silts and fix the drainage each time. I throw dirt into every puddle and churn it up like concrete.  Few weeks later its solid and it doesnt puddle.  But when it does dry clay is great as long as you have good pitch.  If it puddles at all the clay will slake and you can bury anything.  My forklift is excellent at finding the soft spot.  Geotextile fabric is critical in flat spots.
Southern clay basically doesnt perk at all.  Drainage is either by surface runoff or mole holes.  My yard is full of tubes.  Holes where you can shove a stick down 4ft.  Sometimes water goes down em, sometimes it comes up out of em.  I can hear an underground creek during heavy rain.  I have a pond i never intended to have.  Dozer hit a water table tube while pushing a stump. it just bubbled up and stayed. 
Praise The Lord

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on March 23, 2018, 08:54:27 PM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 23, 2018, 07:05:45 PM
How high are you building up?  Are you having the dump trucks roll over the dirt to compact it for you?  I put from zero to 3 feet of fill on a hill and had the truck roll the previously spread load each time he came with a new load.  Rock hard to dig in but didn't have any later settling.
No, it wouldnt be possible with this stuff, the trucks can just barely pull the tailgate out of the pile.  And i can only flop it out with the bobcat, any deeper than 6" and i have to lay down slabwood tracks to drive over it, like a wheelbarrow over a manure mountain.  Ive been doing this pretty much every other week or so for a year.  You really have to spread it in lifts, let the rain wash out the silts and fix the drainage each time. I throw dirt into every puddle and churn it up like concrete.  Few weeks later its solid and it doesnt puddle.  But when it does dry clay is great as long as you have good pitch.  If it puddles at all the clay will slake and you can bury anything.  My forklift is excellent at finding the soft spot.  Geotextile fabric is critical in flat spots.
Southern clay basically doesnt perk at all.  Drainage is either by surface runoff or mole holes.  My yard is full of tubes.  Holes where you can shove a stick down 4ft.  Sometimes water goes down em, sometimes it comes up out of em.  I can hear an underground creek during heavy rain.  I have a pond i never intended to have.  Dozer hit a water table tube while pushing a stump. it just bubbled up and stayed.
that sounds like some awful ground. Will you put some gravel on top to make a good last layer ? 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Maine logger88

Quote from: teakwood on March 24, 2018, 08:45:35 AM
Maine: how is that bell working out?
It's working well I'm quite happy with it!

mike_belben

Quote from: teakwood on March 24, 2018, 08:48:54 AM

that sounds like some awful ground. Will you put some gravel on top to make a good last layer ?
Short answer, yes.  
Long answer to hopefully help others avoid the roadbuilding mistakes that i have had to redo in the past year or two... 
You cant just put gravel, it will disappear, and its very expensive.  First you have to strip the top soil, then pitch it, then let the silt wash out of the clay over a few rains.  If you do that you can get away with 3" minus (a mixed load of stone containing everything that goes through a 3" screen)  ontop good clay base.  Fabric will allow a thinner layer and smaller stone to work without being sunk into the wetter spots.. Its a big net.
   Without fabric, you need like 4" thickness or more of big rock, then few more inches of 3minus and then a cap layer of fines if youre fussy about the appearance.  I mean cars can get away with a lot less than a wheel loader.   There are spots where i have 12" of rock and you can still watch it sponge down and spring back up when a dumptruck drives over.  Its not solid but is driveable all year.
Clay is not terrible once you learn the ropes.  Much much less workable are bottomland places with a foot of black mulchy top soil and no pitch.  Add standing water and there is just no cheap cure for that as theCfarm can tell you.
I have almost nothing flat so it generally drains well.  When you dig a pond the water table will leak into it and get lower, thus able to absord that much more surface water..  everything high gets firmer by doing this.  All road base needs ditching on the sides, and crown to shed quickly.  You also absolutely must minimize the water that travels across the road from uphill.  Itll take all the fines with it.  So if you cut a road across a slope thats going from left to right, you need the ditch on the left side of the road to stop the hill's water from crossing.  The road gets pitched to the left too.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!