iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

So did your tape make it to your destination, Southside? Ow was it, what happens in Louisiana stays in Louisiana? 😁
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Drive thru Daiquiris in LA. The worst was you couldn't buy beer in TX between 12-6am ? So the oncoming crew always had to buy the beer for the off going crew, the guy in the van was thrilled about that 😂 I dont miss the GOM at all. 

thecfarm

I went to PA and someone converted a place to wash cars into a drive thru for beer. This was the ones with a wand, you got out to wash the cars. Just drive into the bay to buy beer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

Ray, did they use the old wands to dispense the beer?   :o   8)   :D   smiley_beertoast
that would really get the bugs out of your grill! ;D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 19, 2020, 11:08:33 PMPeople in a panic, it's almost nuts. We closed the doors today, window service only. Its awkward buying beer thru an ice cream window... 😂
Sorry to hear about the issues with the store. I thought the folks up your way would be a bit more practical, but then I guess you have almost as many transplants as we do. Are you seeing a big influx of weekenders coming to sit it out like we are? Holy cow, they are everywhere. I still see the daily specials from your store on my FB page from time to time and think I might get a sudden 'illness' call off sick and take a drive up, just for lunch.
 Keep your head low and your shoulder at it. At least you are picking up jobs. Had a logger here in the yard last night and he said he had 2 jobs cancel because they 'want to observe social distancing' (as in 'don't come on my property'). I don't get it, neither did he.
 Yeah, I miss the drive up bars in Texas. Go to one drive thru and get an order of steak fingers, drive to the next place and get your beer. But that was when you were allowed open containers in a vehicle as long as the driver wasn't drinking. I believe I am dating myself now.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

We dont lack for work, still lack a bit on the job you and I road around on this summer, still 200+ next door I may go do while in "quarantine" 😂 
 No we had some people who where sick come in yesterday, the manager said enough, we dont need our help getting sick and alot of the woman we employ are over 50 or work for the school. 
 Friend of mine from up north is down here doing a job, makes my Timbco look like a toy, hes going 18+hrs a day and will have quite an area laid down quick. 

nativewolf

Well he has to deal with Cat for parts so....I'd say you have the better end of things.  

We're just doing the same ol WO, don't have pictures from today.  I'll take some of the forwarder going across our new WO bridges.  20' x 4'.  Not the giant steel bridges @Wudman  showed but serve us ok.  We may get a couple of 30' for a job this summer.  Still only averaging about a truck or so a day but in WO it is ok money, getting some old bills paid.  

Big news for us was finding a quartersaw buyer that was paying decent prices, we've been leaving some money on the table with 1-2-3 sided logs that the stave buyers did not really want but that were still large.  Got a couple and that's a big help.  Be a bigger help this summer with Chestnut Oak as QS CO has great flake (pull some early @YellowHammer posts to see how nice CO can be when QS correctly).  Anyway, we have about 100 24" and better CO to take down this summer and since they don't make veneer or stave this will be a good outlet for them.  

Learning something new everyday.  

Liking Walnut

ehp

its kind of crazy here, tonight was the first time I found bread in a week and a half, eggs to . I think their taking things here real serious on the virus , now if all the people that went on vacation will stay in 14 day quarantine like they are suppose to that will help.  Mill as of tonight is still buying but that could change by Monday . If this goes on for very long its going to really hurt a lot of people

nativewolf

Glad to hear your mill is still buying.  Ours are too with one exception, they hit by China imposing container bans for 2 weeks, what hypocrisy on China's part.  This mill has sheds full and no where to stack lumber.  

Groceries actually are getting a bit easier to find here, paper towels making it back on shelves, etc.  People are taking seriously, hopefully it slows and the warm weather just cuts impact to something manageable.  It is here forever now.
Liking Walnut

YellowHammer

You are right, Chestnut Oak makes some real nice ray fleck, and they are usually big, straight, and clean logs.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

quilbilly

another load coming out. Poles hopefully will be shipped next week . Gotta get our studwood out next week before the cns Mills close down. Interfor is already down and spi is rumored to follow soon. 

. Wood is a little younger than I thought. Only 70-80 years old. Owners had a picture of the place we're logging now from the forties, it was nothing but a stumplot. That makes this some of the better ground in our area. Rare to have site 1 or high site 2 on this side of the Olympics.
a man is strongest on his knees

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Come back in the fall and cut this job, I've got 2x more up the road to cut.

Maintenance and more maintenance. Almost 6k hrs on that mill, always little things.

Make more sticks. 

Going to practice my "social distancing" about 1 mile up that dirt road then it's about another mile to the top.

Took the GF out to fill the freezer, couple places went yesterday where bare. Did get to buy a 4pk of toilet paper that they where rationing out.

Anyone who thinks this is 14 days needs to learn how to count 😂 get comfy for 90 days Either way have a pile of wood up for when things open up again. I am so glad I live in Appalachia....

ehp

next 2 weeks will tell the story here, things are going to get a lot worse here before it gets better that's for sure and you guys are going to be in the same boat and maybe worse than us , they shut pretty much everything down here over a week ago , most business are closed and whatever is open is only open a couple hours a day

ehp

Barge you can bring that timber cutter you got over here and fall trees , you may need a bigger head thou with something that can cut 42 inch or so . The bush they just marked I think I will break out the ported 461 or the ported 372 as I need to run a long bar

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ehp on March 22, 2020, 05:09:31 PM
next 2 weeks will tell the story here, things are going to get a lot worse here before it gets better that's for sure and you guys are going to be in the same boat and maybe worse than us , they shut pretty much everything down here over a week ago , most business are closed and whatever is open is only open a couple hours a day
Its quiet. No traffic. Every person able to get out of NYC has come up. Just an eerie weird feeling. We are basically lawless down here on a good week, now who knows. Community has banded together, no ones going to go hungry. This isnt going to be 14 days, expect 90 days, they just dont want to scare everyone immediately. 
Just something to laugh at... I find it funny...

Still a classic...

BargeMonkey

Propane and propane accessories 😂 I must have filled 30 tanks today plus a couple 100lb bottles, everyone is hunkering down. 

Finish her up tomorrow, mechanic did a great job and hopefully be good for a while. Engine job, new clutch, re-wired the whole machine, bunks up forward. 

"Social distancing" walk today, you want to be spot on coming down that hill with 4300ft on, washed out culvert and creek on both sides. 

ehp

ya most here is thinking 8 to 12 weeks and lets see who is standing at the end , lots of people that should know are saying we could be in for a real rough ride for 18 months

dustintheblood

I know there's a bunch of mills across eastern Canada that are well into the final phases of complete shutdown.

THIS.  SUCKS.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

nativewolf

Tomorrow we're cutting just bridge timbers, butt logs will wait til this blows over in a couple of weeks.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

ehp

they are talking as high as 70% of the world will get this virus , yes lots will be fine but lots are not going to be fine health wise or money wise

Thank You Sponsors!