The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 510642 times)

dnash, Southside, DWyatt and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #4560 on: March 25, 2020, 06:53:26 AM »
here in maine the gov is calling forestry essential along with ag   fishing  trucking and some others

Offline cutterboy

• Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4561 on: March 25, 2020, 07:18:35 AM »
here in maine the gov is calling forestry essential along with ag   fishing  trucking and some others

The same with Massachusetts

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #4562 on: March 25, 2020, 07:52:47 AM »
Same here in ON & QC
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4563 on: March 25, 2020, 09:15:01 AM »
maybe forest products will be looked at in a different light from the city folk. to many used to see it as bad. i dont see a lot of tourist coming this summer if any. unless this virus goes away quickly. one can hope it dose.

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
    • Share Post
« Reply #4564 on: March 25, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
maybe forest products will be looked at in a different light from the city folk. to many used to see it as bad. i dont see a lot of tourist coming this summer if any. unless this virus goes away quickly. one can hope it dose.
I will say its nice to be able to drive around belfast without having to wait for traffic at every stop but hope it doesnt continue long or the state/country will be really hurting financially. 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #4565 on: March 25, 2020, 12:03:02 PM »
Production of forest products has been deemed essential in Michigan by our Supreme Leader.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Grandpa

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4566 on: March 25, 2020, 03:00:08 PM »
Essential in Wi too.

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #4567 on: March 25, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »
Production of forest products has been deemed essential in Michigan by our Supreme Leader.
"Supreme Leader"   :D :D :D
I guess technically ours can be "Brother of the Crackhead"
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Offline quilbilly

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4568 on: March 25, 2020, 04:00:07 PM »
As someone who lives in a tourist area, tourism was the worst possible thing to happen for the timber industry. We became Seattle's weekend playground and soon thereafter the wilderness acts came about locking up 80,000 acres of NF, then spotted owl which shut down ONF for 2 year's and no clear-cuts since really, and now another 100,000 acre wilderness bill up for vote. Then people take pics and share on social media with words like primordial Grove, ancient forest, and they're just looking at big second growth half the time. 

I hope they open up business but limit vacations. Help contain the spread while keeping most businesses going. It will hurt the service sector, but they're getting killed right now anyway. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4569 on: March 25, 2020, 04:02:44 PM »
@quilbilly 
It sure would be a heck of a time to open a bunch of that stuff up and get all the dead stuff out to help TP production.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4570 on: March 25, 2020, 05:51:21 PM »
I will say its nice to be able to drive around belfast without having to wait for traffic at every stop but hope it doesnt continue long or the state/country will be really hurting financially.
no traffic is nice but they closed the hot dog stand. gonna miss that

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4571 on: March 25, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »
I like toilet paper :)
I have lost to many shirt pockets over the years
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline BAN

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4572 on: March 25, 2020, 06:31:05 PM »
As someone who lives in a tourist area, tourism was the worst possible thing to happen for the timber industry. We became Seattle's weekend playground and soon thereafter the wilderness acts came about locking up 80,000 acres of NF, then spotted owl which shut down ONF for 2 year's and no clear-cuts since really, and now another 100,000 acre wilderness bill up for vote. Then people take pics and share on social media with words like primordial Grove, ancient forest, and they're just looking at big second growth half the time.

I hope they open up business but limit vacations. Help contain the spread while keeping most businesses going. It will hurt the service sector, but they're getting killed right now anyway.
We have friends that live in Port Angeles and they said it was a mad house last weekend with all the city folks trying to get out. Hopefully with the shutdown things will calm down over there.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #4573 on: March 25, 2020, 06:48:54 PM »

With stumpage and log prices so low the more they restrict the better, help move log prices up.  Actually I'm kind of surprised anyone on the west coast would want to see more supply hitting the market..it would kill log prices I'd think.  But maybe our revenue models are different and your just getting paid on production?  We are paid on revenue sharing, so the more supply restrictions the higher the revenue and then it is a race for good supply and that's better for us.
Liking Walnut

Offline quilbilly

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4574 on: March 25, 2020, 06:50:42 PM »
Ya Seattle folks used the quarantine shutdown as an excuse for vacation. Beach towns had to ban all hotels and vacation rentals from further operation and the governor shut down state parks to overnighters. We had 200+ overnighters at our local park. One bathroom and one store. If even one person had covid 19 everyone in that camp would get it if they used the bathroom, add in that we only have one gas station and a simple trip for a candy bar etc, could end up infecting the whole town. It was insane. 

Offline quilbilly

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4575 on: March 25, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »

With stumpage and log prices so low the more they restrict the better, help move log prices up.  Actually I'm kind of surprised anyone on the west coast would want to see more supply hitting the market..it would kill log prices I'd think.  But maybe our revenue models are different and your just getting paid on production?  We are paid on revenue sharing, so the more supply restrictions the higher the revenue and then it is a race for good supply and that's better for us.
We get paid on production, our issue is lack of Mills and supply for them. For example the beaver Mill that was owned by interfor shut down due to lack of supply, the state had promised X amount per year to supply the mill, interfor promised to supply X amount of jobs, state couldn't hold up their end due to litigation. Most Mills here that shut down did so due to lack of supply not an oversaturated market. The Mills that are shutting people off right now is BC of too much wood. We need more mills but without the biggest landowner, the feds, providing a constant supply nobody puts them in. Too much ebb and flow. There used to be gobs of mills and log dumps out here. 
BTW all the Mills with oversupply are 1+ hours away. There are only two mills on the north Olympic peninsula.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #4576 on: March 25, 2020, 07:20:36 PM »
I guess I don't quite get the mills situation...too much in BC...not enough in Olympic; crazy world.  Heck I ship logs 6 hours away quite frequently.  For the pics you were showing earlier I think shipping wouldn't matter too much.  In fact I don't have a good buyer within 100 miles...some log yards, some small mills but the premium buyers are a long way away and the low end buyers are quite a ways.  Our bridge timber logs (about as low as I want to cut) go 110 miles, about 2 hours.  Our Tie logs only go 60 miles and we only cut them to cleanup the sites.  
Liking Walnut

Offline quilbilly

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4577 on: March 25, 2020, 07:36:10 PM »
Your prices are much higher. For folks in Port Angeles to ship cns is 2 hours to the nearest mill. The whole load might be worth $1200 after trucking $850 maybe. 

The mills thing is hand in hand with supply. They won't implement the northwest forest plan from the early 90's so there is limited supply, which leads to fewer mills, which means less competition, which means lower prices for stumpage which has been used as an excuse by enviros to cancel all timber sales since they don't bring in money. 

Those poles we went out, nearest yard was 2.5 have hours from the job with only two potential buyers to bid on wood. One has 2 months supply right now and no room in their yard.  They are however having a heck of a time getting longer poles with the short rotations on private ground. State and national Forest have tons of them though, if they ever get put up for sale. 

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4578 on: March 25, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »
@nativewolf 
Its a completely different world out here, the farthest weve hauled was to Madras before it shut down and that was a 4+ hour haul one way. Trucking out here is a killer if the truck isnt making a minimum of say 90+ an hour you will see them sit depending on the region. Another issue is when some of the big boys get cranked up theyll flood the mills the mills will shut them off as well as possibly everyone else. We use to have 10 in our little area now were down to 5 including the pulp yard most due to buy outs and then the new owners shutting down the mills to drive competition out of their business, same with land owners there use to be a couple of larger owners here in this area now its all one running the same colors we all know so well.

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4579 on: March 25, 2020, 07:38:40 PM »
@quilbilly 
Whats long poles? Last time we had a buyer out looking for some we got told our stuff was too big for the dimensions they want now.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
by dustyjay
xx
first post and a couple of questions

Started by billy_wizz on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 10:18:25 AM
by Heartwood