iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

That looks like well over a cord to me, Mike👍
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Quote from: doc henderson on August 03, 2020, 07:35:11 PM
"yup yup yup" went the tractor
When i bought the tractor it barely had the power to get up onto the trailer.  "Needs rings"
Nope, needs the injection pump moved over 3 splines.  Itll come up the hill in 6th (of 8 gears) no problem with that load.  Its only a 2 cylinder but its the snotty-est 26 horsies i ever saddled up. 
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

mike_belben

Yeah, some 33s i bought for the rims a decade ago.  Too bald to use but too good to throw away.  
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

Hmm I have a set of 35's on my jeep very similar situation. Never thought of a trailer tire. will definitely look kool, especially being towed by my jeep :)

Wudman

Quote from: mike_belben on August 03, 2020, 09:46:26 PM
Yeah, some 33s i bought for the rims a decade ago.  Too bald to use but too good to throw away.  
We ran a pair of "Coop Grip-Spurs" on the front of a Deutz D100 06 for years.  They were bald take off from an F-250 farm truck, but at 10 ply they ran for years on the front of a tractor.
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

caveman

I was wondering if anyone else would notice the swampers.  If they are anything like the TSL-SX's that I have on an old Bronco, they should hold up well on a woods trailer.
Caveman

mike_belben

Ive had them under a trailer with 5 or 6k of concrete demo going 70mph on i-40.  
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Took the wheeler and rode 2 jobs yesterday afternoon, I've never been in this one spot, it was cut this spring and the management company is being pushed by the landowner to cut it again... I think we all know what's about to happen here 😆 

I've always heard about the "mine / cave" on this lot but never been to it, it's quite a hole I guess. Go over the top of the one knob and it's quite a valley, then back up again, kind of diff. 

Went and rode my job, never been hammered and due for a haircut, I cut some here 7-8yrs ago, got iced / snowed out and just havent been back. 

Not something you see too often here, last one we had was sawed for my parents house for on the wall by the stairs, she twists right around. 

Slowly getting the pit cleaned up. 

Finished the driveway today, top it with some more crushed item, start blowing a hole in. 

Saturday I'm going to go look at this, older but for feeding a screen sitting in the pit why not, 2.25yd+ pail. 

Gaining on my clearcut, do other work and then go cut 2-4hrs till dark. 

nativewolf

Maybe last load of Ash I will ever harvest.  Going to launch an American Ash foundation to find a solution, hopefully the gene editing will significantly speed things up.  
Liking Walnut

Ed_K

Got a news letter from the Mass Forest Alliance I belong to and they talked about the emerald ash borer making it to the Adirondack Park, N.Y.
Ed K

cutterboy

Quote from: Ed_K on August 07, 2020, 02:25:59 PM
Got a news letter from the Mass Forest Alliance I belong to and they talked about the emerald ash borer making it to the androndaic (spelling?) Park.
Where is that?                             
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

The bug is already up there, just havent seen the massive die off yet, kind of like here, it's in spots but I'm seeing it more. The ADK "park" starts about 60 miles from my house, I go to Northville quite frequently picking up building materials sometimes. Other reason why I'm 99% sure it's there is because how the trucks go in NY, thruway basically separates the ADK / Mohawk valley/ Schoharie valley / Catskills, you can stand on the mountain here and see one from the other. Most of our raw wood products from here go north, just a matter of time but there is so much ash here it wont get cut, the state will watch it tip over before it gets marked. 
 I walked some nice ash yesterday the barks falling off, it's got less than 2wks to stand 😆 my question with the bug is once it finishes off all the living ash will the bug go for something else ? I see ALOT of small ash regeneration on some of these jobs I've cut, will the bug leave them alone long enough ? 

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I got the same blip on one of my news feeds this morning, only read the first paragraph. No news there, as Barge says, it is everywhere they just have not seen the plague take a good enough hold yet to cause the huge die off. They will see it soon enough. No stopping it. 
 Glad to see you are seeing regen Eric, I have seen none here. It's funny, but I have an old maple here I am milling and cutting the rest for firewood. It was dead when cut and has the very same tracks as the EAB. I don't know of another bug that does that. Could it be crossover? Never saw that before.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

I cut the Gilboa dam job in 2016 ? And some of it was just dying off then, now most of it in the lower section is gone or laying on the ground. Spots around here the ash is healthy, spots is already gone, who knows ? 
 Next week I've got to ask this new forester I'm dealing with what the true facts are on the EAB. Cutting a job for Prentice + Carlyle in about 2wks, Tom you get time you need to take a ride up and see this, that last job wasn't "mountain" like this one is 😆 
 The story I've been told is the bug came into Chicago in some crates, where it spread from. The head inspector who goofed this up is the guy who's running the show in Albany at the port checking fumigated boxes. 😆 story I got from the log buyer, believe it for what it's worth but the guy sent a few million feet of ash to China last yr so ? 
 I called my preferred buyer today, ash is full swing again, HM is moving but dont cut the very best stuff because the veneer market isnt there. Low grade logs for timber mats are paying pretty well so that's a sign things maybe coming back. All depends who you talk to, I talked to a guy from Sherburne today who's cutting in Smyrna by the mill but the logs are going to Boonville, talked to another guy this morning near Little Falls and his good wood is going to Whitemans, anymore you've got to hunt to find a market. 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: BargeMonkey on August 07, 2020, 10:16:37 PM

Next week I've got to ask this new forester I'm dealing with what the true facts are on the EAB. Cutting a job for Prentice + Carlyle in about 2wks, Tom you get time you need to take a ride up and see this, that last job wasn't "mountain" like this one is 😆
I am always looking for an excuse to go to the Conesville Country Store for a shake, or lunch, or better yet, breakfast. :) :)
 How is it you go from some of the steepest ground in a 6 county area and manage to find something steeper to work on? ;D :D You're going to have to put clinometers in all your equipment. ;D
 Yes, I'd love to take a run up. Any chance there might be 2 or 3 newly dead or less Ash logs laying about for me to clear out of your way, say maybe 8' or so? I am woefully short of good Ash and have some luthier inquiries. I would just bring the small trailer for faster running. :D
 Hope you are not working yourself to death.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

Quote from: BargeMonkey on August 07, 2020, 10:16:37 PMThe story I've been told is the bug came into Chicago in some crates, where it spread from.

I believe it was Detroit where EAB got its start in the US.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nativewolf

Yep, I think it came into Michigan first.  Some good news on the American Chestnut.  They've been doing some gene editing to reduce the impact that the fungus acids have (using a gene from wheat and other grasses of all things).  Looks really really promising.  That is research done by the SUNY folks so I thought you two New Yorkers could hold you head up really high.   It is leap frog sort of research and will maybe make all the old tree breeding work obsolete.  Some trials American Chestnut trees are showing more resistance than the actual chinese chestnut trees.  Anyway, a tangent but since I brought up the Ash die off...thought I would bring some good news.

RE log pricing.  I also hear good things.  September could be a welcome bit of news compared to the last 18 months.  RO in particular may be making some comeback in price.  

Liking Walnut

Ed_K

Just looked at the price of SPF on the exchange, highest I've ever seen at $668. K bf. Guess the mills can't keep up with orders right now.
Ed K

quilbilly

Everything except alder has jumped way up out here. WRC is $1100 for 24 ft and foer is 750 for 8 inch up regardless of quality. 
a man is strongest on his knees

mike_belben

Prices have stayed pretty strong in TN.  Pulp is up a few dollar per ton, WO stave hasnt changed.  Not sure on RO and ties but a guy who brokedown infront of my house other day works at the local pallet shop, says theyre having to go up and price and shop around for cants and slats.  Demand still strong. 
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

I got 2x loads into Finch last week... 😆. Went on a trip last night to 5 diff stores and found 3x bundles of paper towels, it doesn't add up... 

Thank You Sponsors!