The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 610702 times)

Online donbj

• Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #5860 on: November 28, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »
As @ehp said, you can fly across the border - you can't drive across the border. I won't get into the politics, but how does that make any sense at all?

It's probably because the airports are supposedly screening on both ends so have some sort of safeguards in place. But that's a head shaker imo
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5861 on: November 30, 2020, 12:24:55 AM »
They are desperate for wood... texts from 2 diff log buyers on a sunday morning, PLEASE put wood out this week. I suffer from a medical condition known as "Buncher Blindness" 🤣

I dont wanna hear about firewood till after christmas, dont care. 🤣 Making woodpiles disappear.

We put it in, we take it out. Not even Dec and there isn't a square bale left.
Crusher moved in, make big rocks into small rocks.

I've got to call Milton Cat and hunt around a bit but maybe someone here knows 🤷‍♂️ How stove up was that iron that went thru Pellitiers auction in Maine ? 545C, supposedly everything was done 4khrs ago. There maybe ink on divorce papers here soon, on that 200acre never been touched job. The ex wife wants it hammered so hard it could have corn planted on it, facing the ski slope and she's just dumping it to the developer anyway.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #5862 on: November 30, 2020, 07:08:10 AM »
Inspirational little patch of woods i grew up in.

Revelation 3:20

Offline mudfarmer

• Full Member x2
  • Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #5863 on: November 30, 2020, 08:47:35 AM »
Took the boss out to get final approval on new lot acquisition behind our place. Feedback good, will make the deal.

My best road goes right to the line, need two bridges though. There is some good hemlock, thinned in 80s by girdling that can be fed to the mill immediately but the hardwood had a "salvage cut" after some windthrow about 10 years back and they might have turned Barge loose in there and he got a little spunky ;D so it will be a while yet before much other than firewood and hemlock comes out.

At least it is not the next lot over, which got HAMMERED and is nothing but beech thickets. The bear are already thick but they will love that place once the nut crops come.

Looking across the line :o

No thank you, sir

Hemlock girdles

Saw a northern flying squirrel which is first for us and a beaver, she's sold. Some nice 8-12" maple, cherry, yellow birch, I'm sold

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #5864 on: November 30, 2020, 12:19:18 PM »
Busy weekend around here.

Hot blond is showing everyone how we turkey hunt here.

Got up a few trees in the sugarbush to lay em down piece by piece.  This beech was nasty punky just above where I was.  Came down and dropped it rather than risking going higher.  Especially since I could shove my fist into the trunk just over my head.

Smart farm dogs find water when they need a drink

We went burl hunting too

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #5865 on: November 30, 2020, 01:06:25 PM »
Busy weekend around here.

Hot blond is showing everyone how we turkey hunt here.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Got up a few trees in the sugarbush to lay em down piece by piece.  This beech was nasty punky just above where I was.  Came down and dropped it rather than risking going higher.  Especially since I could shove my fist into the trunk just over my head.

Smart farm dogs find water when they need a drink

We went burl hunting too

Guess live baiting isn't illegal :D, blonde bait that is.
Liking Walnut

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5866 on: November 30, 2020, 03:47:15 PM »
I have sawed number of burls in my life time and a lot of times there saw with ingrown bark making for a defect.  that one you have there [ Just my two cents ] I would cut it thur the center of the widest part of the burl and make a end table out of it. Peal the bark off and set the stub on the ground and give it a few coats of varnish with the swirls in the burl it would be a pretty peace.
Bill

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #5867 on: November 30, 2020, 05:09:35 PM »
I can only turn glasses of whiskey upside down into my gut.  I can't turn bowls like my buddy can, so the burls going to him for Christmas.

He made this piece with some of the last one I sent him.

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5868 on: November 30, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »
Very nice  ;)

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5869 on: December 01, 2020, 07:50:51 AM »
bardge if you want imfo on that 545c call the garage up there. its warm and wet here they are bound to be there until freeze up. milton cat got a new 550 skidder yesterday. there is a youtube vid from the driver that delivered it. from around quebec city.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5870 on: December 01, 2020, 11:56:43 AM »
bardge if you want imfo on that 545c call the garage up there. its warm and wet here they are bound to be there until freeze up. milton cat got a new 550 skidder yesterday. there is a youtube vid from the driver that delivered it. from around quebec city.
 I got talking to Dave Carrier last night and he gave me the # to get ahold of Gerald or Rudy. Only thing I dont like is being 12'6" wide but it would be handy on some of these jobs. Rained so much here it's a mess, just getting back in the woods after deer season, they are screaming for wood. 

Online Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5871 on: December 01, 2020, 05:56:33 PM »
These pics are of a project in the works for about a year and half. Had a very pretty but VERY messy ornamental Crab in the front yard the the little lady got very cranky about so it got dropped and milled about 20 months ago.

The top side after the washing last night getting ready for epoxy in the morning.  

1 coat epoxy apllied to the under side

More pics will be added when i find them. New server is being deployed and my son just kicked me off the system. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5872 on: December 01, 2020, 09:31:45 PM »
I got talking to Dave Carrier last night and he gave me the # to get ahold of Gerald or Rudy. Only thing I dont like is being 12'6" wide but it would be handy on some of these jobs. Rained so much here it's a mess, just getting back in the woods after deer season, they are screaming for wood.
Sounds like you need a bigger lowboy so you’re not out on the out riggers all the time.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #5873 on: December 01, 2020, 10:17:00 PM »
Or a beam trailer and some dunnage.
Revelation 3:20

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5874 on: December 02, 2020, 12:27:18 AM »
 I want to see how it fits 1x. I asked the mechanic today if we could fab wheels up on 24.5 truck tires just for transport. 11'ish isn't bad, 12'6" is 😂. If not just strip the chains off and send it down the road at 2am, not the first time 🤷‍♂️ the guy screwed up telling me it came thru the auction, I'm going to buy it cheap or walk, no ones hunting those BIG skidders up here, I want to go to Brewer and see what Milton's got in the yard anyway. 
I've been looking at NEW lowboys but the problem is where do you stop ? Might as well go dropside, 55ton, then your tractor isn't big enough. 

Almost done re-hosing my loader, stick is swapped, poor loader is just tired but a hood will about go forever. I mean this honestly, that loader has seen more wood than alot of guys will ever cut in their lives, it worked around the clock at Finch for 4yrs before we bought it in 1991. Just keep putting grease in it and run it. 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5875 on: December 02, 2020, 06:04:25 AM »
plenty of big grapple skidders around. there is a 748 for short money just north of bangor

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5876 on: December 02, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »
I want to see how it fits 1x. I asked the mechanic today if we could fab wheels up on 24.5 truck tires just for transport. 11'ish isn't bad, 12'6" is 😂. If not just strip the chains off and send it down the road at 2am, not the first time 🤷‍♂️ the guy screwed up telling me it came thru the auction, I'm going to buy it cheap or walk, no ones hunting those BIG skidders up here, I want to go to Brewer and see what Milton's got in the yard anyway.
I've been looking at NEW lowboys but the problem is where do you stop ? Might as well go dropside, 55ton, then your tractor isn't big enough.

Almost done re-hosing my loader, stick is swapped, poor loader is just tired but a hood will about go forever. I mean this honestly, that loader has seen more wood than alot of guys will ever cut in their lives, it worked around the clock at Finch for 4yrs before we bought it in 1991. Just keep putting grease in it and run it.

Go non ground bearing, double cantilever 10’ 6” wide it’ll make something that skidder a cake walk to move. Anything under 55 ton really you’re pushing the trailer pretty good especially if you ever go to a shovel. How heavy is your lowboy truck speced right now?

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #5877 on: December 02, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »
Barge that was one of the reason I got rid of my forwarder. It was a real pain to move and super wide and it was not fun to drive down the road . 

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5878 on: December 02, 2020, 07:35:23 PM »
 Get back after it again. 

All the ash on this job is shot, right up on the mountain and everything is ice damaged, couple spots it's going to get the haircut. 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #5879 on: December 02, 2020, 10:00:46 PM »
Friend of mine bought an old 30 ton excavator this spring at an auction and had never operated one so he asked me to load it onto the lowboy he hired to bring it home, no problem I figured.  Truck pulled in with a OLD, 8'6", drive over the rear tandem axle style lowboy.  Steel tracks on wet steel ramps, and the idlers were out to the very edge, but hey - he welded on some rebar grousers to the ramps for traction....  Not a ditch around to back the trailer into and I knew there wasn't one at my buddy's place.  I tried to walk her on a couple of times, had to judge when to stop the swing ahead of time as the brake wore out in probably 1995.  Driver didn't want to side load her and I don't blame him.  Pretty sure Barge was standing off to the side wearing his famous T-shirt by the time I said - "Nope".  Found another truck that had a detachable to come and get her.  Yea - the right trailer makes all the difference. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
by dustyjay
xx
first post and a couple of questions

Started by billy_wizz on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 10:18:25 AM
by Heartwood