The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 481582 times)

Blue Noser and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #3940 on: October 14, 2019, 07:41:46 AM »
Well we get $80-100 for 100” firewood and $195 split. $120-150 per cord for small low grade logs. And .30 and up for various logs 10” and up. I wondered how the firewood market was out there. A guy here’s all kinds of stuff.

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3941 on: October 19, 2019, 11:34:03 PM »
 I wouldnt say my firewood prices are any better, alot of competition here. I maybe moving some wood down Coxy's way 😂 soon and that will bring nice money. We saw most of the decent load grade we get. By the time I haul it over the mountain @250 / 300 a thousand I will fire wood it. 

well it moves. For how long ??? Remains to be seen. I've got 300+ trees on the header in front of it, find out quick tomorrow. 

skidded operator wants to be a professional photographer 😂

No rock on this job. 

Theres some slamming stuff in spots on this job. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3942 on: October 20, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »
That is nice WP Eric.  
Liking Walnut

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3943 on: October 20, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
That is nice WP Eric.  
 I've got a pile of wood just like that cut.... 😂 that's almost to big for our sawmill, I bet that's 55-60" across the butt, she's big. 

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3944 on: October 20, 2019, 09:13:07 PM »
Like savages.... rough steep nasty rocky ground, you've got to see where we drop out on the road 😂 right off the ledge. 

I'm looking DOWN, it's hard to figure but its 3 shelves of rock, up, across, down. Cab isn't big enough sometimes for the operators pair 😂 

pouring rain, just keep putting it out. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3945 on: October 20, 2019, 09:49:16 PM »
Looked steep. Any pulp market or is it all firewood and tops left on site?  

That big white pine has a good export market I've found out so I hope they are paying you well.  In the south a pine of that size has almost no market, crazy.
Liking Walnut

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #3946 on: October 20, 2019, 09:50:28 PM »
My Father and me did some logging on this land. My Father could not remember it ever being logged. He was 70 years old than. We had some big ones,36 inches was normal.Than we had some 4 feet across and some 60 inches. Some was so big the loader on the truck could not pick them up. He had to get one end on the edge of the truck and slide it in. Than at the sawmill they had high school kids peeling them because the debarker would only open up 42 inches. Than they had a pallet grade,they took anything,even crotches!!! So we chased down all the ugly and big ones. Did that for a year. Than they redid the sawmill and there was no way to get around the debarker. They told us nothing bigger than 42 inches and no crotches either. My Father said,we have no more like that. My Father always told me,You can sell good logs anytime,but can't sell the bad stuff anytime. He was shocked when they took a 8 foot ugly and I do mean ugly log we pushed off to the side. It was a 8 foot log,the only one on the load. My Father knew that they would not take that log. The driver said they would take it. Have to remember my Father's age,he came from the Old School. Well we got the scale slip and there was that 8 foot log on it,I can still remember my Father saying,They took the log and paid us for it. The chase was on for the ugly logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3947 on: October 20, 2019, 09:52:58 PM »
My Father and me did some logging on this land. My Father could not remember it ever being logged. He was 70 years old than. We had some big ones,36 inches was normal.Than we had some 4 feet across and some 60 inches. Some was so big the loader on the truck could not pick them up. He had to get one end on the edge of the truck and slide it in. Than at the sawmill they had high school kids peeling them because the debarker would only open up 42 inches. Than they had a pallet grade,they took anything,even crotches!!! So we chased down all the ugly and big ones. Did that for a year. Than they redid the sawmill and there was no way to get around the debarker. They told us nothing bigger than 42 inches and no crotches either. My Father said,we have no more like that. My Father always told me,You can sell good logs anytime,but can't sell the bad stuff anytime. He was shocked when they took a 8 foot ugly and I do mean ugly log we pushed off to the side. It was a 8 foot log,the only one on the load. My Father knew that they would not take that log. The driver said they would take. Have to remember my Father's age,he came from the Old School. Well we got the scale slip and there was that 8 foot log on it,I can still remember my Father saying,They took the log and paid us for it. The chase was on for the ugly logs.
we're right back in that chase on some of our properties.  Funny stuff.  Good story and thanks for sharing!
Liking Walnut

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3948 on: October 21, 2019, 02:06:13 AM »
 Somewhere around  Dec 1996 My father and I cut the oak out back. I would shovel around them and keep the saw filled, probably the first major time I spent running a skidder off on my own, note I'm 12yrs old and basically thrown to the wolves on this, I dont honestly believe they had children because they loved us 😂1-2 BIG sticks at a time. Couple of the butt logs we either couldn't pick or had to chain, somewhere is a picture of my father's old R-model with I think 14 sticks on it and it was LOADED. I'm just now getting into some of these jobs he cut in the 70s-80s, most of this area has been high graded hard so the good wood is tougher to find. 
 I think back on some of the stuff I did as a kid working or when I first started cutting wood on my own and I cringe. I had taken my fingerprints for my original USCG paperwork at the county sheriff a few weeks prior to applying, at that time you had to apply in person to a regional exam center, "Battery park NYC",  I go in and the girl looks at my hand and says you have to come back, I'm missing 1/3 of one finger, I said but I've got a full set on this card 😂 never did find the end of it. Skin grafts hurt worse than the finger, and the weird part is the grafted skin re-grew a fingerprint. 

Online DWyatt

• Share Post
« Reply #3949 on: October 21, 2019, 07:18:55 AM »
Cut down a Red Oak yesterday morning. 20" bar on my 039 and I got 3 10'-6" logs before the first branch. Should make some real nice lumber. Hard to see in the pictures but top of the tree is about 15' lower than the stump. Neighbor is bringing more chains today to hopefully pull it out of the bottom.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #3950 on: October 22, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »
This week I had a 40+ hemlock on my work strip. Not much of it is cut around here. But over around Smyrna, Maine I used to see loads of it roll by the restaurant to the mill. But big landowners (mill ground) and on timber license holders (mills) leave it to fall down in the clear cuts around here. Pine in my area are all left to stand, they have too much defect to cut. Well, it was passed on twice before in cuts so it didn't get sweeter with age. :D
Move'n on.

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3951 on: October 22, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »

neighbors are just going to love me now.... 😂 I am no longer restricted to the orange ball in the sky or so-so lights on my iron.

Keep getting after it.
Nice picture from out back, camera cant get as far as you can see on a clear day. From there you can see VT, MA, CT, the Hudson is in that picture. Theres a spot 5mins from me that they claimed you could see 7 states and the ocean with glasses, used to be a hotel and racetrack there in the 20s before the depression, higher elevation than ski Windham, I can pick out the hill I live on off the boat when going up the river.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #3952 on: October 23, 2019, 07:29:53 AM »
A very nice place for a home with a view.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline mills

• Share Post
« Reply #3953 on: October 25, 2019, 07:01:38 AM »

Don't know that I ever had one go that high before.  :D :D :D

r>

I'm thinking that they should issue a ladder stand with every deer tag. Third good tree this year.  >:( >:( >:(

Found this in the skidder trail. :o In the middle of a swamp. :o About a foot wide at the top, and spreads out to around four at the bottom. Guessing twenty feet deep with no water, in a swamp. :o

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #3954 on: October 25, 2019, 07:56:15 AM »
Al Capone's down there.  

For sure
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3955 on: October 26, 2019, 07:26:22 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
Don't know that I ever had one go that high before.  :D :D :D

r>
I'm thinking that they should issue a ladder stand with every deer tag. Third good tree this year.  >:( >:( >:(

Found this in the skidder trail. :o In the middle of a swamp. :o About a foot wide at the top, and spreads out to around four at the bottom. Guessing twenty feet deep with no water, in a swamp. :o

It rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again, it puts the lotion in the basket 😂  I've never found a well just quite like that before. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3956 on: October 26, 2019, 07:59:47 PM »
Somewhere around  Dec 1996 My father and I cut the oak out back. I would shovel around them and keep the saw filled, probably the first major time I spent running a skidder off on my own, note I'm 12yrs old and basically thrown to the wolves on this, I dont honestly believe they had children because they loved us 😂
Barge, are you suggesting that your parents looked at you as a means of skirting New York's stifling labor laws and taxes?😂😂 Verk! Verk! Verk!😁
Too many irons in the fire

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #3957 on: October 27, 2019, 03:45:36 AM »
I'd rather hold a saw than 50 lb potato sacks all day to load 2000 per trailer load. ;D :D :D Many times two trailers a day. And sometimes even 100 lb burlap sacks, thank goodness not a lot of them 100 lb'ers. Used to have to handle them twice to, no pallet jack or floor space when I was a youngster until much later, so was stacked on tanden trucks that were boxed for bulk taters. ;)
Move'n on.

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3958 on: October 27, 2019, 05:31:00 AM »

r>
I'm thinking that they should issue a ladder stand with every deer tag. Third good tree this year.  >:( >:( >:(

Found this in the skidder trail. :o In the middle of a swamp. :o About a foot wide at the top, and spreads out to around four at the bottom. Guessing twenty feet deep with no water, in a swamp. :o

It rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again, it puts the lotion in the basket 😂  I've never found a well just quite like that before.
…...Now that is funny!
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3959 on: October 28, 2019, 12:21:08 AM »

r>

It rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again, it puts the lotion in the basket 😂  I've never found a well just quite like that before.
…...Now that is funny!
I dont know if you've ever seen the southpark episode with cartman and playing "lambs" ? I had this really cool deckhand, hes down in the fore peak and I'm sending gear down, like 20' plus, in the yard, people all over the boat, sire inspection, green new cadet down there with Howie, I send down more and yell down "it rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again" and he starts to recite it back line for line in a female voice, captain's in the galley and hears this going on for 5-6mins and looks like he wants to kill, I guess the visitors in the galley didnt have the same sense of humor. 😂

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
by dustyjay
xx
first post and a couple of questions

Started by billy_wizz on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 10:18:25 AM
by Heartwood