iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another job in the wings

Started by tule peak timber, January 27, 2015, 09:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

thanks for sharing,, amazing idea, looks great!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

Not much fun doing all the paperwork/planning but the first "dog and pony' show went well. One more meeting on the construction site Friday and we can get to work finally. Looks like we will be doing the large entry system, countertops, some flooring, box beams, fireplace mantle , tables , some furniture, and some artworks. Looks like it is "game on" ! Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

jamesamd

Congradulations, Rob ;) We all know, that You will do a fantastic job of it all :-*
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Jemclimber

Not much to add, congratulations and, I always look forward to seeing your beautiful work!!
lt15

tule peak timber

So finally the dust is starting to settle and the actual job fabrication picks up a head of steam....

Rough milled door frame material

Rip and flip method for stability prior to final milling and dimensioning.I am required to have milled in stops -so no room for error over these 10X10 doors!

Close up of finger jointing head prepping butcher block staves.

Piles of jointed Canyon Live Oak staves ready for the press. Some of the kitchen counters are butcher block, some are slabs , and the main tasting bar is an original design from end cut walnut rounds. Till next time ...Rob

Magicman

Hot diggity dog (old saying) this will be worth the wait.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Yup.  8) Nice weather out there to it seems.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scsmith42

Quote from: Magicman on March 22, 2015, 04:10:33 PM
Hot diggity dog (old saying) this will be worth the wait.   smiley_thumbsup

Indeed!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Clark

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 22, 2015, 03:46:53 PM
Rip and flip method for stability prior to final milling and dimensioning.I am required to have milled in stops -so no room for error over these 10X10 doors!

I've thought that ripping a board (especially for the stile of a door), flipping one half and then gluing them back together would minimize the movement of that piece of lumber over time...is that what you're doing? One inquiring mind wants to know how well this works!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Lawg Dawg

Jobs like this make you glad you do what you do!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

tule peak timber

A tough week for posting more pics: our water well pump died and everything had to be pulled and replaced, the big Cat loader died and the mechanic is still here (Friday night) and I just put out a fire at the sawmill.Anyway in between work progresses on the new winery.  Rob

Lots of goofy jigs to cut the various parts for the entry doors.

Putting a dado groove in one of the curved parts. Freehand shaping without the guards needs to be well thought out if you value your fingers !

Some of the weird shaped parts. Looked like a spaceship to me.

So finally after months , a  copious number of headaches , planning ,dust, and some blood ,  the shape of one of the front doors emerges late this Friday afternoon.

JohnM

WOW! :o  That door is going to be huge if that's just the keyhole!  ... ;) just kidding.  Fabulous work as always, TPT. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Holmes

That is incredible . 8)  What is the thickness of the "spaceship" parts? They look like 11/2" How thick is the door?
Think like a farmer.

Don_Papenburg

That is a neet looking door .  The circle would look good with a round window with  beveled or leaded glass. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

mesquite buckeye

Looking muy bueno. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

scsmith42

Very cool and unique design Rob.

One question that I've been meaning to ask you is about that skinny room that many of your photo's are taken in.  What do you use it for (other than taking photos! LOL)
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tule peak timber

Holmes; The door core thickness is 1 1/4 inches. The finished frame will be 2 1/4 inches thick with a raised panel at 3 1/2 inches thick -give or take.
scsmith42; The skinny room is mostly used for finishing and some layup construction. It features good air flow, is insulated with forced air heating and has a 40 foot long torsion box table. Rob

giant splinter

I am always amazed at the projects that come out of your shop Rob ...... incredible talent and serious focus on detail.
You always have something special to share with us ...... Thanks Rob.
roll with it

Peter Drouin

The tools you have are nice :o You must have a lot of $$$$ in them.
Did you get them one at a time. [keep upgrading]  or go and get them all at once?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

tule peak timber

Peter , I started with no tools 9 years ago then purchased, a 20 inch chain saw, sliced up a downed log in a neighbors back yard and started learning about wood.......A one month stint with home depot tools, then a one month trial with Jet --Powermatic- Delta, and by month three I started looking at better tools. I ended up buy Italian stuff as it was the best I could afford , along with some old American iron along the way.
  This week along with the little fire at the mill, no well water, and a very grumpy ($$$) Cat lift I plowed ahead milling up the oak veneers for the frame. 

This is what remains of a one thousand BF lift of Black Oak boards that I'm forming into  parts for these four doors.

Ripping the selected wide boards to rough width

Surfacing , then planing the boards to thickness. The select boards are picked for pith cracks , bark inclusions, checks and visual interest.This very crusty wood was originally sold to me as firewood.

My master patterns are complete and I can move forward next week with template routering of all the individual pieces. If you notice the lead pigs with the holes drilled in them, they have an interesting story. I salvaged them from the ballast of a sunken sailboat and used them as swordfish "necklaces". A swordfish necklace is clipped onto the running line after one of these massive fishes is harpooned as a way to tire and slow him/her down. I used to hunt and harpoon a lot of swordfish some time back.
On another interesting note, my intention is to fully assemble the frames and skins on these entry doors and install the raised 3 dimensional panels last. That is to say the keyhole will be dimensionally smaller than the panel insert that goes inside of the keyhole. So, that said is there anyone out there who can correctly post how I am going to fit the raised panels inside of the keyhole? I would like to donate $100 to the FF for the correct answer.
Cheers, Rob

JohnM

I don't have an answer to your question, Rob, but I'm looking forward to seeing it happen.  It boggles my mind to think you've been at this for less than a decade.  Good stuff!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Peter Drouin

Thanks, Not sure if it will work the way. Raised panels have to go in when you put the door together. I think. :D :D :D :D Nice job. smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Don_Papenburg

It looks like you will make up the raised panel then put the door frame (bottom half ) together .  Set in the raised panel .  then assemble the top side of the door and connect everything together .  I would vac.press it together with a glueup .I don't remember if you use vac or not .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

GAmillworker

I will venture a guess.  By building the three dimensional panel in three pieces so that they can be placed individually inside the key hole and then glued into one.
Thank the Lord for second chances

Thank You Sponsors!