iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When helping some one back there truck up to a trailer do you

Started by ozarkgem, January 28, 2015, 07:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

spin your  arms in circle indicating which way you want the steering wheel moved or do you just point you finger the way you want the hitch on the truck to move. When I am backing up, I always use the mirror and when  some one starts the big circle moves I slam on the brakes and explain to them I have no Idea what they are telling me and just to point the direction you want the ball to move. I know which way to turn the steering wheel.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Larry

Real men don't need helpers.  They just tuck it in and jump in and out of the cab 50 times....or use a backup camera. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sprucebunny

I'm with you !!

My x husband used to do the circle thing all the time and it drove me crazy. Now we just crack up laughing and no one helps much  :D

( He loves his back up camera. I jump in and out a lot !! )
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

When I'm hooking up to a trailer I tell people to get out of my mirrors so I can see the trailer. I can put the hitch under the ring with just the mirrors.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JohnG28

Never saw anyone "turn the wheel" outside the truck. I/we always point in the direction the truck/hitch needs to go.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

JB Griffin

Quote from: JohnG28 on January 28, 2015, 08:57:26 PM
Never saw anyone "turn the wheel" outside the truck. I/we always point in the direction the truck/hitch needs to go.

x2
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

I hate people trying to back me up to anything, especially when I'm driving the semi with the cattle pot on, dad is the king of the "turning the steering wheel thing", just let me have my mirrors.

Brad_S.

I am a member of a 4 man team at work and we hook up trailers all the time.
Pointing the way you want the ball to go is what we use. Pointing emphatically means cut it hard! Pointing and then holding your thumb and index finger up means turn slightly. Hand and fingers straight up and aligned while motioning back and forth means straight back. Clenched fist means stop.
There is one final finger gesture that is often used that I am sure you are all familiar with.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

reubenT

yah,  just the point method is all i ever do.  But then I'm more often doing it myself without company,  and being the professional backerupper that my friends all claim, I usually hit it pretty good the first time or 3.
   Oh but my first attempt at the driving test in a semi truck n trailer I failed the backing part.   I aren't perfect.   Had to go practice on the test site and get in mind the exact moves to make,  then I did it fine for the tester.   

Just Me

I hitch myself mostly, and pay absolutely no attention to my wife if she is back there. I let her wag her hands and think she is helping, but really........

What I do find annoying is the "Things are somewhere behind you Mirrors" that come on trucks. What the heck were they thinking? I have to change out the one on my 2014 F150 to flat glass. Can't back up a trailor worth a hoot when turning that way.

Larry

coxy

the pointing works ok but if im by my self ill take the dozer or skidsteer and just put the trailer on the hitch with them if there not there its in and out in and out  :D :D

Chuck White

I usually hook up to the mill by myself.

After a few years of doing this, you tend to be a little more efficient at it!

With a helper, POINT.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

In Afghanistan and Iraq the more commonly accepted methods we used with the military/contractors were to just point one arm in the direction we wanted the driver to go and make "come on" motions with the opposite hand. For straight back we "come on" with both hands till reached the spot then cross wrists for stop.

My biggest annoyance in Africa when directing a load in place were "helpers". Everyone wanted to get in the act. If driving, I'd stop and tell others to get out of the way as I was only watching one guy and I'd identify who it was. Worst were gate/security guards who would jump between me and the driver and start directing without ever knowing where I was trying to put the load.

Smart trailer drivers put a ball hitch on the front bumper, get close then change from rear to front hitches and push the load into place. I drove a tractor trailer truck for a while and found it is much easier to back a 53' trailer into a spot than a 6' utility trailer because you can see it moving sooner and have more time to react. My 4' cart behind my 4 wheeler is handy but jackknifes before you know it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

blackfoot griz

I agree with WV Sawmiller. The most difficult thing I have to back up in my splitter. You can't see it until it's nearly too late.  My solution is to stick a chunk of pipe in it as an indicator of where it is in the reverse mode!

jueston

most everything usefull i know i learned in the army...

i point my entire arm in the direction i want the hitch to go, and then motion backwords with the other hand. then cross my arms in front of my body when i want the driver to stop. of course if the person has never seen the hand signals they might not be obvious.

personally i just get out and check a couple times, when someone tries to guide me from the ground i only look at them to make sure i don't hit them...

90% of the time, i can line it up perfectly only getting out to check one time... the last 10% it takes me 10 tries  :D

4x4American

haha!  I just watch my mirrors and can usually get it pretty close.  Often times if it's real close, I'll just swing the hitch over the ball if I can and lower the hitch so that its resting on the ball, then I wiggle truck around til it locks on.  If you do that don't take the jack off, just wind it up quite a bit.  It's easy hooking up to my gooseneck trailer, can look at the ball right through the window.
Boy, back in my day..

pineywoods

X2 on the front hitch. Put one on my pickup, can't beat it for maneuvering a trailer into tight spots. Friend just bought a new ford pickup. It's got a backup camera built into the tailgate.  That's cheating  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

Most difficult thing to back up? A PTO generator with a 4' hitch to axle length and one flat tire. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JohnG28

I'll drop the tail gate too to get a better idea where the hitch is. Makes it easier to spot the tongue of the trailer a little more.  Back up camera would be pretty nice. Are they adjustable so you can point it at a certain spot backing up?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

Difficult yes.

Once as a kid, drove downhill in a fenced, dead-end farm lane with a JD G, a 2 wheel hay baler behind, and a 4 wheel wagon behind the baler. Backing up that combination was a slow process, I recall.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terrifictimbersllc

Most customers don't know that one can usually push the woodmizer tongue from side to side easily, and spend a lot of energy trying to point which direction.  What can I say they're trying to help.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

I think BT takes the cake with the hardest thing to back up...that must've been interesting to say the least.
Boy, back in my day..

sandhills

Quote from: beenthere on January 29, 2015, 01:11:52 PM
Difficult yes.

Once as a kid, drove downhill in a fenced, dead-end farm lane with a JD G, a 2 wheel hay baler behind, and a 4 wheel wagon behind the baler. Backing up that combination was a slow process, I recall.
I know your pain!  We usually chop a couple hundred acres of silage between us and the neighbors, anytime you hook up a wagon behind an implement, behind a tractor backing out of spots is tuff.  I do have power steering though  ;).

ozarkgem

most of the time I hook up by myself also. Don't take long to get pretty good at it.  My dump truck and Bobcat trailer are the worst. They have to be dead on as there is no bumping them. too heavy. Thought about a camera for that one.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

coxy

hay wagons there is no other way to say it they are hard for backing up and ill be the first to say I CAN NOT DO IT  :D :D

mesquite buckeye

Try it with an articulated wagon sometime where the front and rear wheels both turn. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

I just use mirrors on the truck. Everything else after I do hook up the first time. I look where I am from the seat , And just do it the next time. Easy. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I use to haul a tractor from my Father's house to here. Got alot of practice. Hook up each morning,go to his place for lunch,than hook up at night. I could back up and hit the hitch with the bumper,pull forward just a bit and that was just about it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

landscraper

And then there are the folks who try to stand between the truck and the trailer so they can get a birds eye view of the alignment.  These are usually the same people who, while blocking your view of what you are trying to hook to, will wait until you are mere inches away from the hitch to indicate with some very dramatic hand motions that you should somehow move over a foot very quickly.  They often have a furrowed brow or some other facial expression that indicates that they really and truly don't understand why this isn't working.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

LaneC

They make a device that has 2 parts. they each have a magnet for the bottom. it is like 2 antennas, they extend up and down, and on the top of each they have a ball, similar to a tennis ball. You place 1 magnet on the trailer hitch and 1 on your ball. You adjust them so they are close to the same height. You then back up until the balls touch. They stick up above your tailgate so you see them when you are backing up. When they touch, you are very close or dead on. Close enough to where you can let the trailer down and then slide the trailer all the way on with a push or kick. They have them at home depot. I think they were 19.99. They help my dad a lot.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Sixacresand

Quote from: LaneC on January 29, 2015, 07:36:01 PM
They make a device that has 2 parts. they each have a magnet for the bottom. it is like 2 antennas, they extend up and down, and on the top of each they have a ball, similar to a tennis ball. You place 1 magnet on the trailer hitch and 1 on your ball. You adjust them so they are close to the same height. You then back up until the balls touch. They stick up above your tailgate so you see them when you are backing up. When they touch, you are very close or dead on. Close enough to where you can let the trailer down and then slide the trailer all the way on with a push or kick. They have them at home depot. I think they were 19.99. They help my dad a lot.
I got a "cheap" set from Harbor Frieght.  You can line them up by watching them through your windshield mirror.  Works good
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Small Slick

My wife makes small semi circular motions with both hands. Then after I smack the bumper on the hitch of the trailer. She gets upset like it's my fault and says I don't know. Do it yourself.  John

so il logger

Quote from: Small Slick on January 29, 2015, 11:44:01 PM
My wife makes small semi circular motions with both hands. Then after I smack the bumper on the hitch of the trailer. She gets upset like it's my fault and says I don't know. Do it yourself.  John

Must be the normal thing. My wife stops me so I get out to lower the jack and secure the chains and I may be 8 inches away from the hitch. :D I guess I should be able to pull the truck back by hand  :D

JohnG28

Quote from: so il logger on January 29, 2015, 11:52:20 PM
Quote from: Small Slick on January 29, 2015, 11:44:01 PM

Must be the normal thing. My wife stops me so I get out to lower the jack and secure the chains and I may be 8 inches away from the hitch. :D I guess I should be able to pull the truck back by hand  :D

No, just yank the trailer forward a foot!  :D

Jim_Rogers

Normally I hook up alone, and I just stand up a metal stone rake with a wooden handle as a marker where the trailer hitch is. And when the trailer ball protector hits the rake handle I know it's back far enough. Both my flat bed lumber delivery trailer and my sawmill I can slide left or right to line up if I'm back far enough.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

pigman

I always hitch up to a trailer by myself and I am very good at it. I back up until I hear the tongue breaking one of the tail lights. I then pull up a few feet, cut the front wheels sharply and back up until I hear the other tail light breaking. I then pull up some and back up straight until the trailer tongue rams the license plate. Now, I know I am close and just get out ten times until the truck is in the correct spot.  ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: pigman on January 30, 2015, 12:59:12 PM
I always hitch up to a trailer by myself and I am very good at it. I back up until I hear the tongue breaking one of the tail lights. I then pull up a few feet, cut the front wheels sharply and back up until I hear the other tail light breaking. I then pull up some and back up straight until the trailer tongue rams the license plate. Now, I know I am close and just get out ten times until the truck is in the correct spot.  ::)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

My record is getting in and out of truck 14 times.   Usually alone I get out 3-4 times. When customer helps and I pretty much ignore him it is 2-3 times.  If I train the customer as to what's needed it is usually 1-2 times.  Haven't tried letting customer or wife back the truck up with me signaling.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Just had a tow hitch installed on the Toyota, and noticed the ball just shows in the bottom of the reverse camera  ;D

Should save some wear and tear on the lights and bumper now I don't have to use Pigman's method  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

beenthere

Ian
A screen shot of the trailer tongue and ball getting close would be great to see. (hint.. ;) )
south central Wisconsin

John Mc

I've been known to use the Pigman method myself from time to time.

I thought I had gotten pretty good at backing up until I had a small Rubbermaid trailer hooked up behind my Coot (and antique ATV/UTV). The Coot is 4 wheel steering - the combination of that and the short coupling of the Rubbermaid trailer has me stymied. One of these days I'll hook up and spend some time practicing, but that last time I just gave up, got out and moved the trailer by hand.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ianab

Quote from: beenthere on January 30, 2015, 04:50:39 PM
Ian
A screen shot of the trailer tongue and ball getting close would be great to see. (hint.. ;) )

Getting a trailer this week for a milling road trip. Will practise a bit then take some pictures  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Buckshot00

Been backing by myself for the last 25 years.  Pretty much got it down pat.

Tom the Sawyer

My wife tired pretty quickly of spotting for me when hooking up the trailer or the mill.  She bought me a magnetic wireless camera system, the iBall Camera.  The small receiver plugs into the dash and the magnetic camera runs on a 9v battery. 

Much, much less stressful... and she doesn't have to get up so early.  It is a b&w camera and on very sunny days you might find yourself trying to line up with the shadow on the ground but it almost always lets you get lined up the first time.  I've had clients, who didn't see the camera, be amazed at how accurate I was. 

For difficult sites, I had a receiver hitch installed on the front of my F350 and the benefit of the magnetic base is that I can move it to the hood when I hook up to the front.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

isawlogs

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on January 31, 2015, 06:24:37 PM
My wife tired pretty quickly of spotting for me when hooking up the trailer or the mill.  She bought me a magnetic wireless camera system, the iBall Camera.  The small receiver plugs into the dash and the magnetic camera runs on a 9v battery. 

Much, much less stressful... and she doesn't have to get up so early. 

Have you tried to ask her to help out in the evening ....  I usualy pine the mill to the pick-up the night before, I would never wake the lioness in da morning to help .... I like livin' on the edge, but that would make it very difficult to do .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom the Sawyer

I usually hook up early in the morning, she is usually up shortly after I am but not always ready to go outside.  She is a wonderful person and always offers to help.  Unfortunately, she doesn't like to be told what to do or how to do it which make 'helping' somewhat difficult.  The fewer times I accept her help, the better we get along.   ;D
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

hacknchop

My brother in law has a sign that says "sometimes I wakeup grumpy but if at all possible I let her sleep in" .
Often wrong never indoubt

Chuck White

When I'm about to go out on a sawjob, I always hook-up in the morning!

Mainly because my truck is loaded with everything I need to take with me and I don't want it all covered with dew or rain!

When I hook up to the mill, I'm in and out of the truck 2-3 times max.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on January 31, 2015, 11:27:27 PM
Unfortunately, she doesn't like to be told what to do or how to do it which make 'helping' somewhat difficult. 
:D :D :D  priceless

WV Sawmiller

"My brother in law has a sign that says "sometimes I wakeup grumpy but if at all possible I let her sleep in" . "

Hack,

That's funny. I think I will use it (any time my wife is not around!).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: 4x4American on February 01, 2015, 06:30:16 PM
jim u oughta get some grease on that ball!
It used to get some but then it would get all over my leg. Now it won't cause my leg can't hit the ball.

Jim Rogers

Ianab

Quote from: beenthere on January 30, 2015, 04:50:39 PM
Ian

One better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRdigZTDTMs

You can see a camera should reduce tail light damage  :D

47sawdust

Garrison Keillor used to to have a fictitious sponsor on the Prairie Home Companion called 'Mon Back Brother's Moving,just back up until you hit something,take a look ,and make an adjustment.We use that technique all the time.Yes, the license plate is no longer readable.
I like to carry a 5 foot stone bar to tweak the trailer when I get close.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

isawlogs

Ian.... thats just plain ole cheatin'    smiley_smug01  But I like it !!    :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thurlow

As bad a cussin' 'fit' as I've ever heard involved hitching to a trailer (he was partly cussing me and partly cussing the situation).  I've been hooked to a LOT of trailers on the farm.......back before I retarred.  We usta cut a lot of custom silage w/a pull-behind 2-row cutter w/a trailer behind that;  usually would cut 60-80 loads per day for weeks on end;  also pulled hay wagons, cotton trailers, grain trailers, etc.  When I'se in my 20s, I pulled a load of cotton to the gin (one of multiple loads per day);  you'd pull across the scales, wait for the weigh-man to wave you forward;  pull out onto the yard and un-hook and then drive over to the other side of the yard and pick up one of your empty trailers;  most of 'em at the time were 8 ft wide and 24 ft long.  So.......I pulled onto the scales and waited;  the weigh man came out and we visited for several minutes (he was a personal friend);  was at least 5 minutes and could've been much longer. We could see the lot where the empty trailers were kept and watched an older man trying to hitch to a trailer;  he musta been in and out of the pickup at least 25 or 30 times.  Finally someone pulled in behind me and so I pulled off,  unhooked and drove over to get an empty.  One of my trailers happened to be sitting almost right beside the old man's;  I backed up, got out and............it was one of those times when I hit it perfectly;  just picked the tongue up and dropped the pin in.  The lot was just dirt and someone had driven across it when it was muddy,  leaving a set of ruts;  both front tires of the trailer the old man was trying to hook to were sitting in the same rut and the tongue wouldn't move a half an inch.  I walked over, picked the tongue up on his trailer, he backed up, I dropped the pin in and he was good-to-go.  I'd known him forever, but not well; not sure if he knew my name or not.  He got out to thank me before driving off and said something like, "Man, you're good."  Being something of a smart-mouth, I said, "Well, Mr. Hershel, this ain't the first trailer I've ever been hooked to."  His face got red and he started in, "This ain't the first trailer I've ever been to hooked to either,   G**d***, &*%*&%%%&%^#@#@$%%#!@#$%$, etc, etc,."  He cussed until he absolutely ran out of breath;  it was kinda entertaining after-the-fact, but I was scared at-the-time.  I slinked (slank?) back over to my pickup, got in and drove off.......
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

sandsawmill14

I just hide behind a tree or the log pile and wait for them to stop moving :D :D smiley_devilish
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

beenthere

thurlow, good recount there.  ;D
Trailers or wagons? Wagons have wheels fore and aft, with the forward ones steering. They are much harder to back up when hooked to a picker, baler, or combine.  Trailers much easier, IMO.
south central Wisconsin

sandhills

Doing custom silage pulling around a wagon behind a 2 row cutter is about is about as much fun as pouring cement or laying block in my mind.  I've had countless times trying to back the whole mess up to get around a corner in the field and it's not fun, thurlow, if you got it mastered my hat's off to you!  A few years ago after a bad drought we started chopping in July and finished in October, I can hit every wagon most generally on the first try hooking up, but backing everything around stuff is still a challenge.  :D

thurlow

Quote from: beenthere on May 04, 2015, 01:14:42 PM
thurlow, good recount there.  ;D
Trailers or wagons? Wagons have wheels fore and aft, with the forward ones steering. They are much harder to back up when hooked to a picker, baler, or combine.  Trailers much easier, IMO.

terminology/definitions/identifications:  depends on where one lives;  have found many times that words/phrases used in one part of the country/world mean something else elsewhere  8).

Around 'HERE', a wagon is either a child's toy or something pulled by animals (I know I used the word in the earlier post.....wrongly);  a trailer is pulled behind a vehicle/truck/tractor, etc.  A four-wheel trailer has a steerable front axle, nearly always around HERE they're 5th wheel type, 'though there are a few auto-type steers around (the 5th wheels track much better).  A tandem wheel trailer has multiple axles mostly centered (slightly to the rear);  2-wheel trailers, gooseneck trailers, cattle trailers, grain trailers, fencing trailers, garbage trailers, etc.  I'm aware that what 'we' call trailers are known as wagons in much of the country.  The cotton 'trailers' I was speaking of have a steerable axle in front and one or two fixed axles in the rear.  The guys I hang with on Yesterday's Tractors often point out the error of my ways. ;D

thurlow

Quote from: sandhills on May 04, 2015, 01:51:58 PM
Doing custom silage pulling around a wagon behind a 2 row cutter is about is about as much fun as pouring cement or laying block in my mind.    :D
I don't know :).  When everything was working right, which was most of the time, running a silage cutter was one of my favorite jobs on the farm;  we used A-C cutters (760? 780? been a long time).  They used a 'cut-and-throw' "J" knife and you could hear the thing 'moan' from a long way off.  Our trailers (as I've defined them) weren't that big........about 7 x 14 ft w/about 4 ft high sideboards.  We used 'false' endgates to pull the silage out thru a swinging rear endgate.  When the corn was just right......to put the right load on the tractor (typically a 4020D) and the machine....in the right gear, we'd often cut 8 loads per hour.  We had a man riding the back of the machine/front of the trailers;  I'd give him the 'nod', he'd pull the pin;  I'd pull forward and the tractor with the empty trailer would whip in behind the machine.  The man on the ground would pull HIS pin; he'd move out of the way;  I'd back up;  he'd drop the pin and off we'd go.  The guy on the 'hauling' tractor did his own hooking and off to the pit or silo he'd go.  Generally speaking, we kept one man at the pit on a tractor with a rear-mounted blade, one or two men on the ground at the pit and between 1 and 3 tractors hauling......depending on how far it was from the field to the pit.  Things had to be RIGHT to hook to a trailer, fill it with silage and unhook from it..........every 7 and a half minutes;  LAWD, I loved it.  We quit silage in '86 when the state ran a by-pass highway thru the bigger of our 2 trench silos;  went to all big round bales of hay...........

sandhills

Yes that's much the same way we do it but without the middle guy to unhook though.  A few years ago I used to have at least 3 haulers and they tried to keep up so we could just pull alongside, but the year I mentioned we cut over 600 acres and a lot of it was miles from the spots we were piling it, it gets really old looking backwards for that many acres, especially when you're really not cutting anything anyway.  Right now I have a 1486 and a 3950 cutter but spent many, many days running a 4010 with a 3800 behind it  :).

oros35

Worst thing I have to hook up to and back up is my Deuce 1/2 army truck and a M105 1 1/2 ton army trailer. The trailer is narrower than the truck so you can't see it when the canvas is on the bed (which is almost always).  The mirrors shake so bad everything is blurry.  The 6x6 doesn't turn well to begin with and to make it worse it doesn't have power steering.  Only good thing is it's geared low enough. 

The trailer is so much shorter than the truck you have no chance to correct it if your off.  Pull up and start over.  The only way to back it up is to get it weaving from mirror to mirror.  It's impossible to back something up straight you can't see! 

Jim_Rogers

So, I'm getting ready to take the sawmill on the road to do a job in a nearby town tomorrow.
I needed to hook it up to the SUV to pull it out of its current working position.
I set up my rake and backed right up to it.

I pulled the "T" handle on the front outrigger and the hitch missed the ball:

I hate it when that happens.

The tongue weight was too much for me to lift and the jack handle wouldn't work with the outrigger that far into the bracket. So I had to think of an easy way to lift it back up again.
I could always get out the floor jack and jack it up enough for the outrigger and jack handle to work, but that would be a lot of work to do it.
I remembered that when they showed us how to fold up the mill back in 94 that the trainer used a pair of vice grips on the rod to hold the head in a position where the tongue weight was very light and he could roll the mill around their shop with very little pressure.
I moved the sawmill carriage off the travel pin back towards the rear end a bit and attached a set of vice grips to prevent it from sliding back down hill.
Like this:

This made it so that the tongue weight was very little. I just picked it up and set it on the ball. Very easy.

After moving the mill, I disconnected it from the SUV so I could load it up with all my "travel tools".
Then I had to re-connect to the mill to be ready to "roll out" tomorrow morning.

I set up my rake to the correct spot so that I could see the mill hitch point in my rear view mirror and backed right up to the mill. When I do this the rubber bumper around my trailer hitch hits the rake handle and I know I'm there. This time it knocked the rake over.

Like this:

I like it when this happens.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

I always went to the outrigger next to the loaded and used it to lift the front end back up.  I used that outrigger many times when the front outrigger was still too high to allow the hitch to rest on the ball.

Matter of fact, even with FAO's, I still use that outrigger occasionally when the tongue end is very low.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on May 09, 2015, 04:59:50 PM
I always went to the outrigger next to the loaded and used it to lift the front end back up.  I used that outrigger many times when the front outrigger was still too high to allow the hitch to rest on the ball.

Matter of fact, even with FAO's, I still use that outrigger occasionally when the tongue end is very low.

Good tip, I'll remember that.

Jim Rogers

Chuck White

Well..... about 2 years ago (Christmas) Sheila got me a rearview (back-up) camera and about 2 weeks ago my son and I hooked this up!

The lens mounts right on the top bolts of the rear license plate and shows the trailer hitch ball on the view finder, in the cab of the truck.

The transmitter is hooked up to the back-up light wire and it's mounted behind the left tail light.

The receiver is on a suction cup mounted on the instrument panel, forward of the steering wheel.

Whenever the truck is shifted into Reverse, the camera is activated.

Works very well.

lumberjack48

When turning around a semi on a logging job, i told the driver to watch me, nothing else. I walked in front of the truck while he was backing up, i turned my arms like i had hold of the steering wheel, nothing to it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!