iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor logging with winch

Started by sawyerf250, January 30, 2015, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

thecfarm

As hilltop said.
I've never had to adjust mine, so I am no help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

I can think of a few possibilities:

• The clutch needs to be adjusted
  • You got grease or oil on the clutch - If you are lucky, you can get by with disassembling and thoroughly cleaning it. If not, you may have to replace clutch pads.
  • When I had this problem on my Uniforest winch, it was a corroded/frozen bearing. The 4000# hydraulic winch on my forwarding trailer would EASILY pull things that my 7700# rated PTO winch would not budge. I replaced that and it's now working fine.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

AndyVT

I finally took a look at the clutch on my Norse and you guys nailed it. Free play on the engagement rope was 12 inches and recommended is 4 inches. I followed the diagrammed adjustment instructions in the manual and got it back to spec. Then went back to the woodlot and felled a good sized hemlock on the far side of a pile of slash and hooked onto it full length and also another smaller log and the winch just yanked them in like it was nothing 😀.
Thanks to all of you.

g_man

I finished my crane last week and mounted it on the Farmi JP290 winch. This is the top mount, bottom mount, and hinge pin.

The boom is a 3-1/2 X 2-7/8 channel made up from 3/16 bar. This is the under side. You can see the bottom pulley, 4 slider hanger hooks/ cable support, and the top pulley and cable guide.

It weighs about 80 lbs. This is how I mount it. Slide it off the truck and place the hinge post on the ground. Back the tractor up to it.

Rotate it up and place the hinge post on the bottom mount.

Adjust the winch angle with the hydraulic top link if necessary to align the hinge post and mount holes. Then drop in the tapered hinge pin.

Feed the cable thru the pulleys, hang the sliders, close the cable guide around the cable, and hook up the trailer.

gg

g_man

^^^^^ No idea what I did to make a big font

gg

g_man

I gave my crane a field test Friday. I picked up wood in 3 spots. Each spot had bigger wood, getting a feel for things as I went. I knew that the boom hinge post needed to be plumb. If it is at an angle the boom will seek the lowest point and rotating it from there is like pushing up hill. When released it will rotate back down on it's own. I use this to my advantage when traveling. By tilting the post back the boom will drop to the back and follow behind the tractor. I use the tractor TnT hydraulics to plumb the post. I was surprised how quickly the cylinders drifted and I needed to continually readjust to plumb. I see some check valves in my future. Other than that there were no nasty surprises. I picked up a strong half cord.

I took a video. It has 2 parts. The first spot where I started with small wood and the third spot with bigger wood after a little practice.

https://youtu.be/rzH5xUCxyiY

I hope to use this set up in a section of woods that is isolated above a vertical ledge. The narrow trail up to it slabs the ledge and make a sharp hair-pin turn at the top. I can't skid any thing longer than 8 or 10 feet down thru there. Plus it is almost a mile away from my wood pile. But, there is a ton of beech with BBD up there. Perfect firewood.

gg

thecfarm

Looks like a great idea.
I wonder if you could put a holder for a level on it? Then you could just look at it as you would plumb it.
A trailer is a lot easier on the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Very helpful and almost essential to have the two-way hydraulic tilt cylinders on the 3ph arms (when they don't drift on you).
Operation looks a bit slow, but  you are doing what otherwise is not possible for one man alone in the woods loading logs on  a trailer. Good design and fabrication. Thanks for the show.

As many times as the video shows you trying to roll a log both on and off the trailer, you could use the short LogRite cant hook a good number of times. Makes all that "rolling" of logs very easy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: g_man on September 15, 2024, 05:25:08 AM^^^^^ No idea what I did to make a big font

gg
Probably something ya ate. ffcheesy ffcheesy      Nice work on that crane gman. Saw that you have some weight out front. Good thing. I know I'd need it on my Kubota.
That was a good load you took out.   I need to incorporate a trailer like that into my tractor logging.   Thats more by far than I can move at one time with my arch and best of all those logs are CLEAN.   
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

g_man

Quote from: beenthere on September 15, 2024, 11:03:13 AMVery helpful and almost essential to have the two-way hydraulic tilt cylinders on the 3ph arms (when they don't drift on you).
Operation looks a bit slow, but  you are doing what otherwise is not possible for one man alone in the woods loading logs on  a trailer. Good design and fabrication. Thanks for the show.

As many times as the video shows you trying to roll a log both on and off the trailer, you could use the short LogRite cant hook a good number of times. Makes all that "rolling" of logs very easy.

Thanks for the kind words and your assessment is spot on. With rough ground to work on there is no way I could rotate a good log on that boom w/o a leveling mechanism. Even if I could rotate it as soon as I let go of it to work the winch controls the log would rotate back where it came from - with a bang. I built a wood crane model last winter and that is the first thing I found out. It is slow work and I'm even slower. Skidding out on the winch is faster for sure. But sometimes a trailer is a better option. That is a 30 hp tractor and small 3000 lb trailer. I love driving it in the woods with the loader removed - very nimble in tight places. It will trailer out more than it can skid out. 

You are right about the cant hook too. All those times you mentioned, I was muttering to my self for leaving my cant hook on the other tractor. I know better too.

Thanks again for the comments.  

gg

g_man

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on September 15, 2024, 01:22:53 PM
Quote from: g_man on September 15, 2024, 05:25:08 AM^^^^^ No idea what I did to make a big font

gg
Probably something ya ate. ffcheesy ffcheesy      Nice work on that crane gman. Saw that you have some weight out front. Good thing. I know I'd need it on my Kubota.
That was a good load you took out.  I need to incorporate a trailer like that into my tractor logging.  Thats more by far than I can move at one time with my arch and best of all those logs are CLEAN. 

Thanks. The 3 front 70 lb weights made a tremendous difference in the feel. Feels more stable and more in contact with the ground out front. They are well worth the money in my mind.

gg

Thank You Sponsors!