iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

She's got some fine figure!

Started by Jeff, August 25, 2004, 07:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The aspen log I cut last week that is. ;D  This one log is like nothing I have ever saw. By the time I got the pictures today the boards were quite dry and the spots not near as pronounced but I bet they will be very distinct in a project. When I first cut the log it looked liked leopard skin.  I also had another birdseye aspen this week.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buzz-sawyer

Jeff
I remember a while back you said you would snag interesting stuff out of the line......have you saved up a large collection over the years.. ???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

I would have 'cept other people come along and snagit agin. :D

Anybody interested in maybe making a small box or something out of this?  I'll snag some of it to share with somebody that wants to make two things. ;D  Brian? Are you out there?? ;D

ElectricAl

Jeff,

Do you have a horn on the saw to get the "crews" attention?

One long blast for That's Mine ! ;D

Boards like that make the sawing Fun ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

oakiemac

That bottom picture looks like the knotty Hickory that I've been sawing. Make nice project lumber for sure.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Jeff

That last piece is decieving. Its only about 2 and a half inches wide.

Brian_Bailey

That sure is some interesting looking wood!

Jeff,  what are the widths of the boards with the color in them, pics 3&4?

I have a project in mind but I've never worked with aspen before so I don't know how it would turn out.

Is the wood soft like basswood?

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

mur

I do a lot of work with aspen in northwestern British Columbia.  When I see the "gold colour" as in the middle boards up here, it is usually "wetwood".  Bacterially infected, smelly, and extremely wet compared to the rest of the white wood if you hit it with a moisture meter.  This is one of the complaints about aspen.  It goes into the kiln and the "wetwood" doesn't dry like the rest of the wood.  Boards go to the molder after the kiln and the "wetwood" doesn't finish as it is still very wet.  I get around the problem by letting my "gold wood" air dry a longer time before finishing it in the kiln.  Probably not practical for a larger outfit to do but it works for me.  
Don't dream it, be it.

Jeff

Brian, its actually 5.5 inches and 7.25 inches depending on the piece. Aspen is used quite a bit in furniture although it is soft. Harder then basswood but softer then red maple

Thank You Sponsors!