iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D&L swing blade saw mill

Started by usetalog, March 08, 2015, 01:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usetalog

I'm new around here, so tell me. I'm looking pretty hard at the D&L 10/30 mill. One, because the dealer (Baileys) is sorta close to the home place. Two, I like the looks of it. I have helped work a Mobile Dimension mill, and I like it. I think the swing blade has more versatility in some ways. I'm not looking for mass production or to make a living with the saw. We do have about 30 to 40 thousand feet of fresh bug trees and I don't want to waste them. No interest from the local big mill, too many big fires in our area. So guys, what should a dude know about the D&L before plunking down 20k+??

Magicman

I have absolutely no knowledge about the mill in question but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, usetalog.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

usetalog

Thanks for the "Welcome" Magicman.

sawguy21

They were an FF sponsor but parted ways some time ago. I have seen one work, it is a very simple concept although they had some quality control issues that may or may not have been resolved.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

logboy

Personally I'd look at a Lucas instead. Theyre cheaper for starters, and theyve been on the market much longer and therefore have all the kinks worked out. Their customer service has been great to me despite being two time zones away. If youre close to Baileys, then youre not all that far from Left Coast Supplies that sells Lucas Mills. Id give them a hard look before I put down any money on something else. With the attachments available, especially the slabbing attachment, a Lucas is a lot more versatile.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

47sawdust

They look a little awkward to run,always stepping over the bunks.I think production wise the Mobile Dimension mill is hard to beat and relatively easy on the operator.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

You should search the forum and message current owners on what they think. Do that before you lay any money out.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

usetalog

Thanks for the comments, I have checked out the Lucas and have seen it run in person. The one concern on the Lucas, almost every video I've watched the operator at some point will go to one end to set the height adjuster then pushes down on the rail. Is this common or something need to be lubed. Everybody swears about how accurate the Lucas mill is, maybe I'm over thinking what I see. As far as pricing they all are a little north or south of 20k.

logboy

The rail doesnt need to be lubed or anything, its gravity and basic physics. If the weight of the powerhead is sitting out on the extensions on one end, then the other end doesnt have any weight on it and is actually being leveraged upward like a seesaw. Because of that, you either have to put a knee on it as you crank it down, or just lower a little past where you want to end up, then raise it again to get the slack out. If you dont do that then the rail can settle as you start cutting and fall below where you set it.  After you put your knee on it a couple times you dont think about it anymore because its second nature. Of course if youre milling shorter timber and not using the extensions then there is weight on both uprights and its not an issue. Ive been running a Lucas for ten years and dont even think about it anymore, I just put a knee on it when I lower the rails.

You might want to double check the prices. Due to the exchange rate you can currently buy a new 1030 for a little over 15k.  For that price you could get one with the slabbing attachment and still be way under 20k.

http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/model-10-30-efi/

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

usetalog

Thanks again for the information. I will be headed to Baileys next weekend for their demo day to check out the D&L.  I have had communication with the Lucas rep here in CA. I like hearing good things about the Lucas mill, it is still high on the list. I just want to cover all the bases and have no regrets at the end of the day.

longtime lurker

Quote from: usetalog on March 08, 2015, 07:04:31 PM
Thanks for the comments, I have checked out the Lucas and have seen it run in person. The one concern on the Lucas, almost every video I've watched the operator at some point will go to one end to set the height adjuster then pushes down on the rail. Is this common or something need to be lubed. Everybody swears about how accurate the Lucas mill is, maybe I'm over thinking what I see. As far as pricing they all are a little north or south of 20k.

A Lucas is as accurate as the operator makes it be, which is a combination of how you adjust it, how you maintain the mill overall, and how well you sharpen your blades. I never do the knee thing - I drop the "near" end using the take it too far and bring it back method, take the carriage with me to the other end, go past the upright and onto the extension, turn around and do the same, and I'm cutting on the way back from there. I never get more then a step from the carriage at any point when sawing.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

thecfarm

usetalog,welcome to the forum.
Whatever you buy,we would like some sawing pictures.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Seaman

Ustalog,
I too would encourage you to take a hard look at Lucas. I have been running mine for five years, and love it. The slabber attachment leads to a whole new market for sales. LCS are great folks, you will not find better customer service.

Welcome to FF and good luck whichever way you decide to go !

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

dgdrls

Quote from: usetalog on March 08, 2015, 07:04:31 PM

Welcome to the FF.
Lucas builds a dandy mill and they are highly portable. 
Accurate as it gets.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,81943.0.html?PHPSESSID=a7ac1683c255bbf128a0bfff90be2e04

Best
DGDrls

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum!

Another vote for Lucas. The mill is as accurate as the operator and as others have said highly portable. Good luck!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

usetalog

Geez, I was really hoping to hear from someone that owns a D&L mill, I'm thinkin that nobody ownes one or that don't want to admit that they do. (No insults intended, laugh a little) It sound like the Lucas is the machine of favor around here. The time for me to make a choice is real soon as the trees will not wait much longer. I'm starting to lean the way of the Lucas due to all the positive comments from all you folks out there. Keep em comming, and I let you all know what shows up.

terrifictimbersllc

Not just Lucas owners  but some Peterson ones too, I have one. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

usetalog

Dang, I liked the peterson mill too. So, how does that work out for you as far as parts and support. No dealers on left coast. I got pricing from Peterson, a little scary and the delivery time was way out there.

Ianab

There aren't a lot of common wear parts.  Rollers, drive belts, blades and normal engine parts which are Kohler or Briggs, easy enough to get parts for. Means you can just keep spares of 99% of the bits you are going to need.

The mills are sold all around the South Pacific. If they can support them in Papua New Guinea or the Solomon Islands, they can get parts to you in US. As opposed to an Island in the middle of nowhere that doesn't even have a small engine shop...

They cost a bit more because they use more stainless steel and alloy in the construction. Again so they can be used in the remote tropical jungle without rusting away as soon as the paint gets scratched. Delivery? Yeah, that's an issue. Takes the container ship a while to get there... Parts can go air freight, mill rails? Not so easy.

But Lucas and Peterson are the established leaders in Swing mills. They have been making them for a long time, and have all the bugs worked out. Just the little things like the ergonomics of setting them up and moving them by yourself.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: usetalog on March 10, 2015, 02:38:25 PM
Dang, I liked the peterson mill too. So, how does that work out for you as far as parts and support. No dealers on left coast. I got pricing from Peterson, a little scary and the delivery time was way out there.
Hud-Sons in NY maintain a basic parts inventory from Peterson.  Lucas and Peterson owners will tell you that the mills are quite basic compared to hydraulic band mills for example. So far I've only needed a few small parts in 4 years and the postage hasn't been much of a factor.  I think the only real problems would come if I damaged the mill frame or rails in a major way, that would be expensive but I'm making money with it so I don't worry much about it.   So far there's only one customer I let near it with a fork lift.   

p.s. I suspect now's a good time to get one with the exchange rate being what it is, highest in a long time.
p.s.s. Support is not really an issue, can get them on the phone at their toll free number.  Talk to your salesman or Kerris or Chris Browne the owners directly.  But have to remember they're about 15 hr ahead, so can't get them till the end of my day.  So I count on  figuring things out myself in the field.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

longtime lurker

I don't own a D&L, but I have spoken with Lindsay Flett a time or two, and I am very familiar with a LewiSaw, which through sale of patent is the "father" of the D&L swing mills.

Lindsay is a nice enough guy, very switched on and he is prepared to think outside the box. Every time I go look at their website I walk away thinking that this man has run a sawmill or two... Little stuff that doesn't seem important till about 60 hours into an 80 hour week kinda features abound in his designs. Truth is in this business is that there's guys who manufacture sawmills, and guys who saw. Lindsay is a guy who's done both, and more importantly i got the impression he listens, and instead of telling you why you the sawmiller are wrong he goes away and tries to solve the problem. That ain't the norm in the small sawmill market, believe me.

Haven't seen one of his mills in the flesh but as I said I'm very familiar with the LewiSaw, which degenerated into an EcoSaw, and which is the basic design his mills are built on. They'll do a job for ya if you know how to use them. Not so easy to use as a Lucas but they can do a few things a Lucas can't. Far more versatile in terms of sawing pattern but the learning curve is a lot steeper too.

I've heard mutterings about build strength of the d&L here on the forum a few years back... Dunno if it was reasonable or unreasonable complaints. And I heard mutterings about baileys being hard to get parts out of when they had the lucas dealership - again I don't know if it was reasonable or unreasonable complaint.

Just sayin'
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Grandedog

Howdy,
Not trying to hijack the thread but, the Lucas Mill was getting some mention so I thought it would be ok to chime in.
What terrifictimbersllc said about the exchange rate is true. I dug back through the archives and the Lucas Mill prices are as low as they've been in 10 years. Then when you consider the improvements and few extra goodies that the old ones didn't come with, you might even have to go back further to find a lower price.
With all of the attention live edge slabbing is getting right now, and the exchange rate we've sold more dedicated slabbers in the last year than the previous distibutor did historically.
What we've done with our pricing is to cap our margin, and we're letting the exchange rate drive the price. We're basically running 2 week quotes. If the rate climbs during that period we'll hold the price. If it lowers, we'll re-quote at the lower rate. This method is hard to keep up with on our website, so for now, call us for a current quote.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

HSV

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 10, 2015, 04:29:02 PM
Quote from: usetalog on March 10, 2015, 02:38:25 PM
Hud-Sons in NY maintain a basic parts inventory from Peterson.  Lucas and Peterson owners will tell you that the mills are quite basic compared to hydraulic band mills for example. So far I've only needed a few small parts in 4 years and the postage hasn't been much of a factor.  I think the only real problems would come if I damaged the mill frame or rails in a major way, that would be expensive but I'm making money with it so I don't worry much about it.   So far there's only one customer I let near it with a fork lift.   

p.s. I suspect now's a good time to get one with the exchange rate being what it is, highest in a long time.
p.s.s. Support is not really an issue, can get them on the phone at their toll free number.  Talk to your salesman or Kerris or Chris Browne the owners directly.  But have to remember they're about 15 hr ahead, so can't get them till the end of my day.  So I count on  figuring things out myself in the field.

terrifictimbersllc is right, now is definitely a good time to buy ;) Rather than take over your D&L thread, I just added some information and a brand new video upload to the Peterson FF Sponsor's Board if you want to check that out, usetalog? Might help answer some of your queries. Good luck with your research!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82004.0.html

usetalog

Been away for awhile, lots of debate and conversation, weighing the advantages over one brand vs. the other brand of saw. Made the trip north to see a D&L run, learned a few things about set up, even with a few set up issues the saw made good boards, dimensions where off less than a 1/16 on one end. I made a call to the manufacturer and talked to the owner and explained what I saw, he told me the cause and how to adjust to correct the issues. Mr. Flett is very friendly and helpful. So, the bottom line for us, parts availability, local support on the engine, and the conversations with Mr. Flett.  We went with the D&L, its on its way. I would also like to say that Baileys was also on the ball here also. Now we wait, clearing landings, servicing tractors and getting ready to make boards.

Nomad

Congrats on your choice!  Looking forward to some pics... :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!