The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: D&L swing blade saw mill  (Read 5372 times)

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: D&L swing blade saw mill
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 04:32:47 PM »
I don't own a D&L, but I have spoken with Lindsay Flett a time or two, and I am very familiar with a LewiSaw, which through sale of patent is the "father" of the D&L swing mills.

Lindsay is a nice enough guy, very switched on and he is prepared to think outside the box. Every time I go look at their website I walk away thinking that this man has run a sawmill or two... Little stuff that doesn't seem important till about 60 hours into an 80 hour week kinda features abound in his designs. Truth is in this business is that there's guys who manufacture sawmills, and guys who saw. Lindsay is a guy who's done both, and more importantly i got the impression he listens, and instead of telling you why you the sawmiller are wrong he goes away and tries to solve the problem. That ain't the norm in the small sawmill market, believe me.

Haven't seen one of his mills in the flesh but as I said I'm very familiar with the LewiSaw, which degenerated into an EcoSaw, and which is the basic design his mills are built on. They'll do a job for ya if you know how to use them. Not so easy to use as a Lucas but they can do a few things a Lucas can't. Far more versatile in terms of sawing pattern but the learning curve is a lot steeper too.

I've heard mutterings about build strength of the d&L here on the forum a few years back... Dunno if it was reasonable or unreasonable complaints. And I heard mutterings about baileys being hard to get parts out of when they had the lucas dealership - again I don't know if it was reasonable or unreasonable complaint.

Just sayin'
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Grandedog

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • Left Coast Supplies
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »
Howdy,
Not trying to hijack the thread but, the Lucas Mill was getting some mention so I thought it would be ok to chime in.
What terrifictimbersllc said about the exchange rate is true. I dug back through the archives and the Lucas Mill prices are as low as they've been in 10 years. Then when you consider the improvements and few extra goodies that the old ones didn't come with, you might even have to go back further to find a lower price.
With all of the attention live edge slabbing is getting right now, and the exchange rate we've sold more dedicated slabbers in the last year than the previous distibutor did historically.
What we've done with our pricing is to cap our margin, and we're letting the exchange rate drive the price. We're basically running 2 week quotes. If the rate climbs during that period we'll hold the price. If it lowers, we'll re-quote at the lower rate. This method is hard to keep up with on our website, so for now, call us for a current quote.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Offline HSV

• Full Member x2
  • If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?
    • Share Post
    • Peterson Portable Sawmills Website
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
Dang, I liked the peterson mill too. So, how does that work out for you as far as parts and support. No dealers on left coast. I got pricing from Peterson, a little scary and the delivery time was way out there.
Hud-Sons in NY maintain a basic parts inventory from Peterson.  Lucas and Peterson owners will tell you that the mills are quite basic compared to hydraulic band mills for example. So far I've only needed a few small parts in 4 years and the postage hasn't been much of a factor.  I think the only real problems would come if I damaged the mill frame or rails in a major way, that would be expensive but I'm making money with it so I don't worry much about it.   So far there's only one customer I let near it with a fork lift.   

p.s. I suspect now's a good time to get one with the exchange rate being what it is, highest in a long time.
p.s.s. Support is not really an issue, can get them on the phone at their toll free number.  Talk to your salesman or Kerris or Chris Browne the owners directly.  But have to remember they're about 15 hr ahead, so can't get them till the end of my day.  So I count on  figuring things out myself in the field.

terrifictimbersllc is right, now is definitely a good time to buy ;) Rather than take over your D&L thread, I just added some information and a brand new video upload to the Peterson FF Sponsor's Board if you want to check that out, usetalog? Might help answer some of your queries. Good luck with your research!

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82004.0.html

Offline usetalog

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
Been away for awhile, lots of debate and conversation, weighing the advantages over one brand vs. the other brand of saw. Made the trip north to see a D&L run, learned a few things about set up, even with a few set up issues the saw made good boards, dimensions where off less than a 1/16 on one end. I made a call to the manufacturer and talked to the owner and explained what I saw, he told me the cause and how to adjust to correct the issues. Mr. Flett is very friendly and helpful. So, the bottom line for us, parts availability, local support on the engine, and the conversations with Mr. Flett.  We went with the D&L, its on its way. I would also like to say that Baileys was also on the ball here also. Now we wait, clearing landings, servicing tractors and getting ready to make boards.

Offline Nomad

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Bill's Mill Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »
     Congrats on your choice!  Looking forward to some pics... :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Offline usetalog

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
Thanks, looking forward to its arrival. I will post some pics when were up and running.

Offline Seaman

• Still learning as hard as I can go.
    • Share Post
    • Uniquewoodcuts.com
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
Good deal ! Can't wait to see pics ! Glad it worked out for ya.

FRank

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Offline scor440

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 09:06:02 PM »
How about the Warrior mill?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Best Twin Blade or Swing Blade Tie mill layout?

Started by CaseyK on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post February 19, 2015, 11:25:31 PM
by Seaman
xx
If you own a swing blade mill, what do you miss about the bandsaw mill?

Started by jimbarry on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 11:24:33 PM
by WIwoodworker
xx
Swing blade mill

Started by waynes on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post March 17, 2018, 06:47:50 PM
by TKehl
xx
Want to buy a swing blade mill