iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last board thickness

Started by ncsawyer, March 16, 2015, 08:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbeck

Quote from: 4x4American on March 18, 2015, 03:45:32 PM
Don't let Dan fool ya!  Look at his join date!

Good to see ya here Dan!

-Doug
Hey Doug. I knew I'd catch you on here somewhere... ;)
- 250k bd-ft club at Wood-Mizer, sawing portable
- My Fords 7.3 T-Diesels are part-time vegan
- LT40HDG28 w/debarker
- Poultry Hitman: chickens, turkeys, etc.

Gideon_70

Quote from: Danbeck on March 18, 2015, 02:13:11 PM
I think most of us have found that on one occasion in the distant past, even dropping as low as 6" can send sparks flyin'. We call this "baptizing" a sawmill.  ::)

LOL, I did that to mine with the starter blade... and now I have... texture.... on my log dog handle.

My mill will not cut lower than 2" on the last pass... and it's because the log dog is too large to clear the blade.  I plan to fix it one day, but for now, I just add a board under the log when I do my last flip, and the last one comes out 1"
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Dan, you have been mighty quite for the past two years.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redprospector

The first band mill I ever ran was a Wood-Mizer LT30. It was all manual, and had a 14 hp. engine. It would not cut closer than 2" to the bed.
That was about 1995, and it was a pretty old looking mill then. Not sure what year it actually was.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Ocklawahaboy

My 1986 lt40 stops 2" from the bunks.  By stacking some boards underneath, I can easily cut down to one inch though.

bandmiller2

At least with a bandmill you have limited liability, screw up and its just the cost of a twenty or so dollar band. A big headsaw within 1/2" of steel makes you as nervous as a plump rooster around Frank Purdue. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Danbeck on March 18, 2015, 03:30:53 PM
Hey, thanks for the welcome guys. I've learned a few things already. I'm just hanging inside today, waiting for sugaring weather to show up (small operation - I tap about 600). Maybe then I can throw the battery back in the mill, and get some things milled out at home before the customers start pushing.... 8)
I thought that I'd seen that truck in your background before! Welcome Dan!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Foxtrapper

Mine goes to 1 inch as well.  The first mill I owned only went down to 2 inches.  Never thought about putting a board under the cant..learn something every time I visit on here.. :D :D :D
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Thank You Sponsors!