iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More lessons - longer logs

Started by WV Sawmiller, March 18, 2015, 10:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2015, 10:01:43 PM
I'll have to admit that I have exceeded the loader limit many times.  I use the log clamp in conjunction with the loader and proceed slowly.

The "end tong" in buried into the log and chained to the clamp.

I raise the loaded and tighten the clamp together.  I am sure that the dual hydraulics in the SuperHydraulic helps.

Slick. What a great idea...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

WV Sawmiller

All,

Thx for the pointers. I never heard of or thought about keeping the arms up. My problem is I routinely forget to lower the arms till they get in the way. I had been told to keep them halfway down and I use them to stack flitches for edging and such. I will try to remember to keep them high for big logs in the future.

I still question that I can cut  a 21-1/2' log on my LT35 but am sure going to check that at the first opportunity.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

I had a medium size log roll off the loading arms once, even though the arms were half way up.  It went over and up and off.  :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pineywoods

My mill has hydraulics, but no loader. I usually park my tractor so the forks are right where the loader arms would normally be, so I can push flitches off on to the forks. Trying to roll a BIG log and lost it, the log rolled off onto the forks. Tractor boogie, fortunately nothing bent or broke, but the rear wheels came off the ground.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 25, 2015, 09:42:50 AM
All,

Thx for the pointers. I never heard of or thought about keeping the arms up. My problem is I routinely forget to lower the arms till they get in the way. I had been told to keep them halfway down and I use them to stack flitches for edging and such. I will try to remember to keep them high for big logs in the future.

I still question that I can cut  a 21-1/2' log on my LT35 but am sure going to check that at the first opportunity.

I know that the LT40 is supposed to cut 21', but you would have to remove both rubber bump stops to do it. Is the carriage shorter on an LT35?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

I hate it when that happens, Peter!  :o

Better to go all the way out rather than between the main rail and the tire!  :-\

Luckily, I've only had that happen a couple of times!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

@Dave Shepard,

I have no idea if there are special tricks to cut that long a log. I was just commenting based on Millwright's comments above.

@millwright,

Any special tricks or techniques to use to cut those extended lengths.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

shakebone

The 35 I have will cut 21 BUT it has to be perfect !  Best thing I like about 21' logs is I can cut them into two tens and wa-la no problemo !  ;D  and I learned the hard way on the big daddy's also  :-X
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

WV Sawmiller

@shakebone,

I agree about the 21' logs. As I mentioned I cut a 20'6" log and it walked just a hair when flipping the cants and I couldn't get my blade out at the very end. Had to raise the rollers and back it up a couple inches to finish. I just did not see the extra length on the mill mentioned by others in the text.

I see what you are saying about the 21' lumber but with my limited experience I'd much rather cut the 2 - 10's separately. Much easier handling of the boards and flitches and such. Plus I could likely just stretch a hair and not even have to walk around my left side tire on the mill.
Howard Green

Peter Drouin

On the WM mills there's a black painted line on the top of tube to show how far the blade will go. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

^ Thats smart, like a gunning line on a chainsaw eh
Boy, back in my day..

millwright

In my earlier post I meant to say 20-1/2 ft not 21-1/2.

WV Sawmiller

The lines Peter mentions are clearly painted and very accurate. If the log touches one of them you better expect problems. As long as you are inside them you are okay. With my 20'6" I just had a couple inches on either end to the mark.
Howard Green

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2015, 07:19:21 AM
@fishfighter, Yup, heavy.  Look to the left and click on the red toolbox to find the weight of logs, etc.  The Tool Box is also found above under Extras

Norwood also has a really nice app for your phone that calculates bf in a log (all 3 scales), bf in a board/beam, and weight of a log by many major species.  Unfortunately does not give you weight of finished lumber.  This in case you're somewhere where you can't access the Red Toolbox.  ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

DMcCoy

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Big logs are much different to handle, and they can move surprisingly fast.

SawyerBrown

Also need to make sure the stops are up!  Almost had one roll off the other side one time when I forgot ...  Can imagine a big log would be really, really hard to deal with if that happened.   :o
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

"It" can happen.   smiley_thumbsdown

:-\   smiley_dizzy  smiley_dunce
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

@Magicman - Thx for the post. It is reassuring to us novices when we see even respected pros occasionally experience brief periods of cerebral flatulence. I like Sawyerbrown's post from Will Rogers about good judgment coming from lots of bad judgment.

I guess the big lesson is we are all involved with many different things happening all at once and even a brief lack of attention to any one of them can result in embarrassment and lost time, if we are lucky, or damage or injury if we are not. I am sure WM and the other sponsors will eventually develop a mill that will provide warnings or shut down if forget to raise or lower the arms, won't let us cut into a clamp, etc. (Of course I am sure there are people reading who will immediately disable these functions for increased speed, cut operating cost or for ease of operation).
Howard Green

ncsawyer

Quote from: Magicman on March 26, 2015, 11:20:59 AM
"It" can happen.   smiley_thumbsdown

:-\   smiley_dizzy  smiley_dunce

The best thing about this situation is the shade tree you've got to work under.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

SawyerBrown

WV, great saying, but that credit goes to DMcCoy.

MM, so how did you get that out of there?  (And please don't say "magic"  :D)

WV Sawmiller

My apologies to DMcCoy and Sawyer for the misquote.

D - that's what happens when you get your post sandwiched between 2 of Sawyers.

Sawyer - I bet MagicMan has one of those 78" logrite tools and just rolled it right out. I only do things like that when my wife is watching. You'd think there would be a Statute of Limitations on a woman's memory but apparently not.
Howard Green

SawyerBrown

:D  :D

Oh yeah, wives never forget anything. My dad used to say something about "memory like an elephant", but don't use that one on your wife ... that's one she'll NEVER forget.  :D

Magicman

Quote from: SawyerBrown on March 26, 2015, 02:17:25 PMMM, so how did you get that out of there?  (And please don't say "magic"  :D)
OK, I won't.  My Dad always said "main force and awkwardness", so I will not say that either. 

A combination of a couple of chains and peaveys,  We slid a slab under the top end to keep it level so we only had to lift the butt end up level with the sawmill bed and roll it back on.

In my very early days of sawing, I had one much larger than that to roll off.  A ~24" twenty foot White Oak log.  Of course the engine was raised so the momentum almost turned the entire sawmill over.  That one took a very large tractor to lift it out and put it back on to the sawmill bed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!