The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Keeping the faith or "When ya least expect it."  (Read 6385 times)

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Keeping the faith or "When ya least expect it.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2002, 06:56:03 AM »
   Was it Billy Holiday did that great version of 'God Bless the Child'? The line 'them that's got, shall get' popped into my head when you were talking about Belsaw moulder.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Keeping the faith or "When ya least expect it.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2002, 07:06:52 AM »

snip

I just got a contact through the site who wants to buy Hemlock to export to Japan,  ye Gods,  panic!  I got Hemlock,  but I'm trying to cut as many 1x12's as I can,  then Mr. 2x6 comes back wanting more!  

snip

OTOH- I mentioned how people up here just DON'T like hemlock- it's weird- and one of the bad stories was this pile of hemlock that showed up down on a landing along the Fore River in Portland a few years ago. I mean this pile was SO HUGE- many, many rail cars worth. Someone had supposedly gotten an order to sell/ship it overseas. It sat there for a long time with some tale of the deal falling through. I don't know 'the rest of the story', but it was a warning to me of trying to make certain the deal is solid and/or that there is a fallback plan.

There are lots of stories like that in- and out of- the woods. One of the people I know got into land purchase and trying to make it big with broccoli (these are very SMALL trees..) one year up in Aroostok County. The broccoli did great, but the market for the broccoli disappeared, and they went under.

I think one possible lesson is to start small like you describe and let the market- ie demand- 'pull you'. I know there are plenty of people who CAN predict correctly and get into the right place to make the big deals- but when things fail in such a way that successful production is followed by waste- those are the stories I hate to hear. Real goods and real food should not be wasted by the fluctuations of a commodities market.  :(  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter