Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Your machinery.............me likey.  :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Rougespear

Kbeitz, did you ever find a DPDT drum switch?  I am looking and all I seem to be finding are drum switches that are maintained... I am looking for a spring return (safer I think).  Any success?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Rougespear on March 06, 2016, 10:31:14 AM
Kbeitz, did you ever find a DPDT drum switch?  I am looking and all I seem to be finding are drum switches that are maintained... I am looking for a spring return (safer I think).  Any success?

What I ended up useing was the reversing drum switch, But I still needed to run the wires from that
to two relays for F/R. I know they make what your looling for but none was for sale on E-bay when
I was looking.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Today I heard the death click click click of the blade.
I got the mill stopped before the blade broke.
A little sliver soder and I was back to work.
I just dint think the blade was done working yet.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I had some real nice wide white pine boards that I wanted to save every inch that I could.
So I hooked up my board holder and went to sawing. Poor mans edger.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

That's a good idea for edging single boards.  I've said it once and I'll say it again - I wish I had your mind.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on March 06, 2016, 05:54:28 PM
That's a good idea for edging single boards.  I've said it once and I'll say it again - I wish I had your mind.

In about 20 more years it could be up for sale....
I probably wont be needing it anymore.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

That'll be a good buy for someone.  Not me, though.  In 20 years I expect to be pretty much crippled.  I'm around halfway there now.  Degenerative spine disease.  It's a bad feeling having a mind that says "let's go!" and a body that says "let's not!  I'll make you hurt enough where you can't go anywhere!"  >:(

I enjoy reading and seeing your projects.

Kbeitz

Cut up some Red Oak logs today...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bkaimwood

bk

valley ranch

I'd like a chance at in 20.

Ox

That red oak is amazing stuff.  I remember cutting tree tops the loggers left in the woods.  Looked rotten after 10 years or so, but it was just the sapwood that was rotted.  The heartwood was just as good as new.  Looks real nice, Kbeitz.  Your mill makes nice lumber.

Kbeitz

Thanks... I'm real happy with it so far. Today I was cutting what I was told was cherry. After making my
first cuts I'm not sure it is cherry. I will post some pictures and maybe learn a thing or two.
I have been very lightly touching up or sharping my blades with my dremel after about every 6 logs.
I just touch the tooth for a sec. Since I started this I have not had a wave cut in anything.
I don't need to remove my blade from the saw to do this and it only take about 10 min to do.
I've made more sawdust in the last month than I've made in my lifetime. Still learning...
Whats the normal for how many logs between sharpings ? I know it depends on size and kind but
just approximately.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

I don't know normal but have read blade needs sharpened at two hours of cutting in several places.
Cheers
gww

Ox

I don't think there is a normal.  There's just so many variables it's impossible to give a number.  I saw until I notice some extra resistance to my push.  Then I'll push a little harder for awhile until I notice some slight waves.  Then I'll pull the blade.  This can be anywhere from 2 to 8 logs or so.  Some logs are just dirtier than others and it really affects how long the blade stays sharp.  I'm too lazy to take the time to clean each log and I have sharpening equipment, so I feel fortunate to be able to do it this way.  If I was sawing for customers, I'd pull blades earlier but since it's just for me, it doesn't matter!  I'm not too picky - it's rough cut after all.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on March 10, 2016, 06:54:21 PM
I don't think there is a normal.  There's just so many variables it's impossible to give a number.  I saw until I notice some extra resistance to my push.  Then I'll push a little harder for awhile until I notice some slight waves.  Then I'll pull the blade.  This can be anywhere from 2 to 8 logs or so.  Some logs are just dirtier than others and it really affects how long the blade stays sharp.  I'm too lazy to take the time to clean each log and I have sharpening equipment, so I feel fortunate to be able to do it this way.  If I was sawing for customers, I'd pull blades earlier but since it's just for me, it doesn't matter!  I'm not too picky - it's rough cut after all.

Wow... Every two logs.... Thats seems like a lot...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

QuoteWow... Every two logs.... Thats seems like a lot...
I don't believe I have ever got six logs cut with out having to touch up the blades I am using.  My logs are small also.  My mill probly has issues that yours doesn't and I was using a nine horse motor but I dream of getting six logs inbetween having to sharpen.  I do touch them up on the mill as you do.
gww

Ox

When I only got two logs it was when sawing long-seasoned black locust and they were muddy.  If it was dark I'm sure I would have seen a spark or ten.  But, because it happened that one time I have to mention it because the truth is warranted, no matter how small.  :)

Good to hear from you again, gww.

gww

ox
Thanks,  I still watch what you post most times though lots of times I only have energy to look at the threads I have posted on already.  I just don't always type something cause typing is hard and I don't always want everybody to know how little I know. :laugh:  Hope you are well.
gww

Kbeitz

Anyone have a blade crack from the back ?

Time to get the silver solder out... First clean it with a dremel...

Then flux it...

Then solder it...

Then grind off any high spots...

Flip the blade over and do the other side...

Flux again...

Solder again...

Grind again...

Back on the mill...

So far I got another 4 hours run time on the repaired blade. I timed it and it took me 3o min to
take the blade off and solder it and remount it back on the saw.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Is it a special solder you use, or a brazing rod of some sort?  I'm intrigued and might have to give this a try.  I have several busted blades with good tooth life left in them.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on March 16, 2016, 07:38:15 PM
Is it a special solder you use, or a brazing rod of some sort?  I'm intrigued and might have to give this a try.  I have several busted blades with good tooth life left in them.

It's silver solder made just for bandsaw blades... I use Mapp gas for the heat.
Sure-Splice  Repairs band saw blades. Silver solder alloy selected specially for
band saw blade splicing application has 30,000 psi tensile strength

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Thanks for taking the time to show all your pictures and answering questions.  :P

gww

K
From ox
QuoteThanks for taking the time to show all your pictures and answering questions. 

From me
DITTO
gww

Kbeitz

Glad I can help.
Us small timers need all the help we can get...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!