The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: I dug thorugh the electric line, phone, and water line  (Read 2175 times)

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
    • Share Post
Re: I dug thorugh the electric line, phone, and water line
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
do you guys not have diggers hotline? it cost you nothing to have everything marked plus if something gets hit that was'nt marked correctly they pay for repairs.
 earlier this week we had everything marked from the ditch up around the buildings,for the mill expansion. we take pictures with our phones ,that way if marks or flags get desturbed we still have the photos.
Yes we have digrite. As I said the only thing that was a problem was the phone and since it was going to an old trailer that was being torn down and he had a new and SEPERATE line going to the new house he wasn't worried about it. They couldn't have located the water anyway. It was also going to the dead trailer. I use Digrite any where else I dig, even for a post hole.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 10:36:03 PM »
MM,  I bet you do have some tales to tell working with the phone company.
Actually the "Magicman" nickname came from my troubleshooting days.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 10:41:20 PM »
It used to be Miss Dig here in Mich. but I think it's called something else now.  They will only find utility owned lines.  If you bury a line from the house to your garage and forget where it's at you're on your own  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:32 AM »
They will come on private property here, hit a gas line the operator is just as dead.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
Everything buried on my place that is active was put there by me, so I know where all of it is.  I need to draw a map showing all of it for the benefit of future occupants.  Before I replaced the water system about 15 years ago, it seemed like I hit a water line every time I dug a hole.  All of it was black plastic pipe and randomly placed.

When we put the new home across the road, I had to extend the water line over here.  The graded county road runs through the middle of our land, and a phone cable runs down the middle of it.  I got permission from the county and call the locators out to mark the cable.  He showed up early the next morning and spray painted the dirt road. I saw him as he was leaving and went out for a look.  The first thing I saw was the road grader coming!   :o :o  I grabbed a tape and took a measurement from the mailbox post just before he obliterated the markings.  8) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
when I put new lines on my place I take pictures of them with measurements from landmarks that won't be moved and print hard copies and make an album.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New phone line

Started by woodman on General Board

5 Replies
Last post September 01, 2002, 08:55:08 PM
by woodman
xx
sand in water line

Started by sbishop on General Board

10 Replies
Last post November 30, 2012, 08:58:05 PM
by sbishop