iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry mower for rent or service to hire?

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, April 28, 2015, 10:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I rented the one from landry and let me tell you it won't take long at all to clear what's in your pictures.  I mulched way more thicker stuff even small trees. It made very short work of it. I averaged about a acre an hour. Northern tree does do that type of work as well. I'm good friends with Phil cambo the owner.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Dave Shepard

The last I heard, you could watch a video at the rental store and you were good for two weeks for a HE machine. I'd tell them you are ag, and exempt.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rbhunter

I thought I saw a deer in the middle of the first pic. But my eyes are not real good so I thought I was seeing things.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Piston

Quote from: Holmes on April 28, 2015, 09:35:45 PM
I believe FF member @Piston has a neighbor that has the fecon unit in  Upton? Ma.

Dana's right, I have had my neighbor do some work for me on my land when converting a section of trees and brush to what is now the nicest section of lawn on my lot.  It's amazing how well these machines work.  If you could rent one I think that would be the most "fun" way to go, but if your looking for the best outcome I think hiring would give the best finish.  I'm sure RedProspector would agree that a mulching machine would make quick work of the 6 acres you have from the looks of the two pics you posted.  I had many "trees" mulched as well as giant piles of pine branches and tops, and even some of the branches were the size of trees.  I think it took him a couple hours to completely mulch 3 big piles of brush/tops, as well as a half acre of brush and debris.

If you'd like his contact info then either PM me or post here and I'll PM you his contact info.  As far as price, I don't know exactly what he would charge for your job, but based on the rental price you posted I think his prices are extremely competitive. (assuming the rental is for an 8hr day?)

He uses an ASV 100 with Fecon mulcher, and also has a grapple as well as a 16" tree shear.  He is a one man show and always seems to have work by the looks of it, I think he charges too little quite honestly but it works for him and pays his bills so I guess it's a win win.  I know he has done work for the state before as well so I assume he is familiar with the grants process.   

Good luck with the project and keep us posted with how it turns out, regardless of what method you choose  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

redprospector

It's hard to say from a picture, and depends on the operator. But with a 100 hp. class machine like that ASV and a Fecon head, he should be able to walk through 6 acres of what was pictured pretty quick. I'm sure that the stuff you guy's have mulches different than what we have here, but it shouldn't take long at all.
There is a big learning curve for operating a mulcher. I'm sure you could do it, but like Piston said, I think the best outcome would be to hire it done. These machines were originally called "masticators". To masticate means to chew. I've learned that some people "chew" better than others (just food for thought).  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

DeerMeadowFarm

I sent you a PM Piston; thanks for the lead.

I have a call into my NRCS rep. I got a letter in the mail last week about some long eared bat being listed as endangered recently. This listing may impact my thinning measure but shouldn't impact the timing of my invasive species erradication. Regardless, my contact has to come out to the land with a rep from the wildlife department to go over the plan with them and get the go-ahead.

I'm getting anxious to get this project under way!

pwheel

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on April 28, 2015, 10:48:32 AM
... The job size is rather small, just under 6 acres to be mowed and treated, but the area is somewhat wet. We both agree that a tracked unit, skid-steer type machine with a forestry mower would be perfect...

I work with a guy in Upton who runs an ASV RC100 w/mulcher head (I take care of the trees; he does the rest). Might be what you're looking for. Takes a fair amount of skill and experience to run one of these, though; I wouldn't advise running one yourself. Might be the same guy Piston knows.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

Piston

Quote from: pwheel on May 19, 2015, 10:02:03 AM
Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on April 28, 2015, 10:48:32 AM
... The job size is rather small, just under 6 acres to be mowed and treated, but the area is somewhat wet. We both agree that a tracked unit, skid-steer type machine with a forestry mower would be perfect...

I work with a guy in Upton who runs an ASV RC100 w/mulcher head (I take care of the trees; he does the rest). Might be what you're looking for. Takes a fair amount of skill and experience to run one of these, though; I wouldn't advise running one yourself. Might be the same guy Piston knows.

I'm sure it is, Ed is the only guy in town I know of with a machine like that!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

DeerMeadowFarm

I gave him a call and he'll set something up in the next few days to come and take a look at it. Thanks guys!  8)

DeerMeadowFarm

Well, this has taken longer than it probably should have, but the guy is going to start brush mowing this Sunday. I am excited! Pictures to follow....

pine

Looking forward to your pictures.  Out here all operations have been shutdown due to fire dangers.

DeerMeadowFarm

We were on hold here for a while due to the long eared bat, but that cutting ban is lifted now.

enigmaT120

Quote from: pine on August 26, 2015, 11:53:06 AM
Looking forward to your pictures.  Out here all operations have been shutdown due to fire dangers.

Any hopes for this weekend?

I had a guy scheduled to come out 9/2 to mow some brambles so I can plant seedlings, and he re-scheduled yesterday due to fire danger.  But I'm near the front of the line when they lift the restrictions.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

SwampDonkey

Are brambles tall canes like raspberries and salmonberry? That's some work keeping them back so trees can get going. Up here 8 foot raspberries usually win. Hope you have success, it's quite a chore.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pine

Quote from: enigmaT120 on August 27, 2015, 12:14:14 PM

Any hopes for this weekend?

I had a guy scheduled to come out 9/2 to mow some brambles so I can plant seedlings, and he re-scheduled yesterday due to fire danger.  But I'm near the front of the line when they lift the restrictions.

Actually there is very little hope for the near future. 
Even when it gets out of IFPL 4 and goes to 3 or less there will still be the pump truck or trailer requirement in effect.  While I have one, it is a pain to move it to site (and requires an extra trip on both ends.)  Then have to shut down operations at 1 PM and do fire watch for the next hour.  Really limits how much work can be done in such a short day (1 PM termination of all ops).  Of course it has to improve or get good enough to get an IFPL 3 or less level.  Right now no ops allowed at any time of day with the level 4.

pine

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 27, 2015, 04:08:59 PM
Are brambles tall canes like raspberries and salmonberry? That's some work keeping them back so trees can get going. Up here 8 foot raspberries usually win. Hope you have success, it's quite a chore.  ;)

Himalayan blackberry, salmon berry, vine maple thickets that a deer can't even get through, yes stuff like that.  As far as keeping seedlings going it is a vegetation control fight for the first three years post planting, or the competing vegetation chokes out any seedling growth.  Mechanical as well as herbicide control have to be used.  The seeds of the Himalayan blackberry can lie dormant a very long time, it is said in the literature on the subject that if you can keep it from going to seed there is a 5 year period in which new growth will be found from the existing seed bed. 
It is well classified by the gov't as an invasive species.

enigmaT120

All of what Pine said.  Also, as soon as it's opened up the Scotch Broom will be trying to get established there, too. 

I'm kind of hoping some of the vine maple around here will give the deer something to eat besides my baby western red cedars. 

I got nearly an inch of rain over the weekend.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

DeerMeadowFarm

OK here are the pics as promised. Ed started mowing Saturday and we are very happy with the results so far!
Just starting:

These were taken Sunday morning (we were haying all day Saturday and didn't get to check out his work until the next day)

Finish of the mulching:

Good enough that my wife and daughter were walking around it in flip flops....  ::)

In this area, you can see how high the brush was where he punched a path through:

The beast! This is my new "what would I buy if I won the lottery" dream toy!

He opened up a couple of apple trees that we didn't even know we had. We found some really cool rocks as well; pic's of those to follow. He is mowing there today and I am taking Thursday afternoon and Friday off to work with him. I'll be sure to post more pics.

Piston

Looks awesome!  It's amazing how much progress you can make in a day with that thing! 
-Matt

DeerMeadowFarm

Day 2's progress. Probably as much as he did the first day plus or minus a little but I think he started later too. We are talking about possibly using an excavator as well. The problem he is having is twofold:
1. Some of the trees are too big for him to get around. In some instances, this is OK for me. I hope to save as many apple and Maple trees as I can that we find. I will be working Thursday afternoon, all day Friday (vacation day) and except for going to a local fair one day with my 89 year old dad, I'll probably be working in the area most of the long weekend cutting the trees that are hindering him that we don't plan to keep.
2. There are a lot of rocks in there. I've been going in with my tractor with a stone bucket on after he leaves and have pulled a bunch out which will help, but some are too big to lift (although I can "flip" them out of the way) and there are a few that are just going to have to stay and become "rock features"; anything short of dynamite won't move them!
I am hoping to open things up for him enough to mow everything that needs mowing and put off the excavator work towards the end of the project so we can see what money we have left.
Anyway, here are the pics I took last night before my rock removal:

Opened up an old silted-in farm pond. I'd love to be able to dig this out at some point. When we bought the property 15 years ago it still held a little water in the spring but it's been pretty dried up now for years:

More areas:

One of the big flat rocks my wife said "Oooh, can you bring that up to the house for my garden?"

And here's that rock with the semi-sphere carved out of it. Any ideas what this could be?

pine

Did he bid the job or is he working on an hourly basis/daily basis?
Curious to know what he is charging for that area and the work he is doing?

DeerMeadowFarm

Raider Bill

Any ideas how you are going to kill those cattails? They have invaded my pond.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

SwampDonkey

#2 a dinosaur's foot print and #3 his jaw bone. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

The only good place for a rock is at the bottom of a bog.   ;D  I have spent many hours just working around rocks. If I had money enough,I would rid my mowing land of rocks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!