iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bear delivering calves.

Started by Magicman, June 21, 2015, 03:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmarch

Fall bear is too fat for me, but spring bear is much better.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I ain't eating no Bears......and thats all I gots to say.  >:(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

Quote from: tmarch on June 28, 2015, 04:49:43 PM
Fall bear is too fat for me, but spring bear is much better.

Bear fat was a major market on the frontier as it was the only critter to have any significant fat. The first long hunters that came into the Missouri valley hunted bear for their fat and shipped it down river.  Buy the time the bears were hunted out, the area was settled and hogs supplied the fat. This was a time before EVOO, Pam spray and Cisco.  It's said bear fat makes the best cakes.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

coxy

there must be something in the food where you guys are the fat on a bear around here will turn green in about 4-8hours and stink horrible the ones that eat them here say if you don't get it off right away that smell will come out when you cook the meat

Bibbyman

Quote from: coxy on June 29, 2015, 06:35:31 AM
there must be something in the food where you guys are the fat on a bear around here will turn green in about 4-8hours and stink horrible the ones that eat them here say if you don't get it off right away that smell will come out when you cook the meat

Maybe it has to be rendered down before it can be stored? 

I did some checking and it's available but expensive stuff.  Beside cooking with it, it's used in products such as leather conditioner and water proofing.  It's even sold for medicinal uses because of high vitamin concentration and other properties.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

coxy

never new it was used for those things   thanks

Wick

A farmer a few miles away has had the same happen except  buzzards were the culprit. They even starting eating the after birth from the mother and by the time he caught it had eaten half her backside away. The story was very disturbing, especially his details about treating the cow to save her.   :'(
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Magicman

Yes, I had forgotten that we always had problems with buzzards.

There are so many reasons that with my property 45 miles away, I have no livestock.  Only trees.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!