iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits Help

Started by fstedy, July 03, 2015, 12:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Tomato Gravy.  Is that spaghetti Sauce? ;D

Magicman

No, and personally I do not care for tomato gravy, but it is a delight to many.  Here is a recipe:  Tomato Gravy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 13, 2015, 07:22:17 AM
No, and personally I do not care for tomato gravy,

Thats because you don't like additives.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

Yum and sounds healthy,  The first ingredient was bacon drippings and then flour.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on July 12, 2015, 10:32:50 PMWe have our county Baptist Men's Night tomorrow night and I will be cooking Grits for ~200 men.  We will bake 600 biscuits and cook 65 lbs of sausage.  No telling how much sausage gravy and tomato gravy.
Everything went off as planned. 

I personally baked 648 biscuits.

And cooked ~4 gallons of Grits.

And of course the "cooks" had to sample the Grits.

While I was busy baking biscuits and cooking Grits, 65 lbs of sausage got butterflyed and cooked.

And much tomato, brown, white, and sausage gravy was made.  I imagine at lest 6 gallons.

About 180 hungry folks lined up.

And formed 4 lines as they filled their plates.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Biscuits and sausage sounds good to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nmericle53

Looks like them Baptist's like to eat. MM I can't imagine cooking that many grits. All sure looked good. Was that Pat's recipe for the biscuits?
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

WmFritz

Careful now... if da Boss sees those photo's, he's gonna hand you the keys da the kitchen.

You may have to replace the g**ts with Yooper Baked Beans though.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

WOW
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

Yep, just like every good mechanic has parts left over every good cook does quality control  :D.  That's one heck of a meal you guys put on!

Magicman

We had biscuits and sausage left over but no Grits or Gravy.  None.

Crow99

Had cheese grits with supper last night. Pretty good. This is my second helping. :)
Couldn't find the yellow grits here abouts so had to order them in.

sawguy21

You must have smuggled them in under Ray's radar. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

petefrom bearswamp

I cant help with the preparation, but like grits OK.
Some say that they make good mortar for bricks
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crow99

These are "Bob's Red Mill" yellow grits. None in the stores up here so I found the best deal with shipping, believe it or not, on the Wal Mart Web site.
The UPS truck comes up here from Massachusetts in the middle of the night when Ray is asleep... :)

Magicman

Bob's Red Mill Yellow Grits are our favorite.   food6

Crow99

Magicman, that's  exactly what I got. I seem to remember you discussing this a while back. Anyway the name stuck in my mind. And they are good.
My dear wife of 46 years is originally from Long Island  NY, and getting her "countrified" has been a long ongoing process, one thing at a time. She enjoyed the cheese grits so things are moving forward. The next time she tried cooking them up with milk instead of water and got them a bit thick, a bit like crumbly corn bread.. a pat of butter and a dash of salt and pepper though and they were good to go too.
An old friend of mine, a guy I used to work with 40 years ago, is coming up from South Carolina next month for a visit, and we're looking at sprucing up our menu a bit to appeal to his southern sensibilities. If you have a good recipe for "shrimp and grits".....

Magicman

Nope, no Shrimp-N-Grits recipes from me, but I don't see how you could go wrong by Googling it.

Crow99

I'll keep checking. I've got a couple from  Google  already but wanted to see if there was anything anybody had that was a favorite.  It does seem though that it can be pretty hard to really screw up grits.... so I remain optimistic.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Magicman on August 08, 2015, 03:32:57 PM

Bob's Red Mill Yellow Grits are our favorite.   food6

Calling them polenta must be how they are getting them into Maine. I'll have to report this to @thecfarm  :D

We've got RedMill polenta around here, too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Thank you comrad. It has been duly noted and the alert has been sent out to all channels and road blocks has been set up as well as check points at unknown location.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That Spanish word "polenta" was used because Old Bob knew that it would throw them Yankees off of the trail.  Thankfully UPS & FedEx are paid well to smuggle the "good stuff" (old saying) into the unsuspecting climes.   :D

Dave Shepard

Polenta gets treated the same as grits. Covered in something that has flavor so you don't realize you are eating a winter traction aid. Throw a few meatballs on top and call it food.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Or Hot Tamales.   food6

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on August 08, 2015, 05:22:34 PM
Thank you comrad. It has been duly noted and the alert has been sent out to all channels and road blocks has been set up as well as check points at unknown location.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!