iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill gas

Started by Bruno of NH, July 09, 2015, 10:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk42

1-2 TREE  thanks

I also use pure gas in all small engines. And I use SEAFOAM at times to clean the carbs. 

Thanks . Bennie   

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

4x4American

What do yawl think of that Star-Tron?  Before non-eth was available around here I used to always run that star-tron and I didn't have any issues.  Now that non-ethanol is available, it's all I use in my small engines.

and also, how about that K-100?
Boy, back in my day..

elk42

4x4American

I have never used it so if it works for you use it. Pure gas is easy to get so I buy only what I need for a week or so, keeps it fresh.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

twin_lakes

Quote from: 4x4American on July 11, 2015, 10:12:20 PM
What do yawl think of that Star-Tron?  Before non-eth was available around here I used to always run that star-tron and I didn't have any issues.  Now that non-ethanol is available, it's all I use in my small engines.

and also, how about that K-100?

I have used it with good success in my saws and UTV.  I also like and use sea foam as well.  Both are especially helpful in the colds of winter here in Michigan.
Woodland HM126, Stihl 270, Ford 641 Workmaster

Ljohnsaw

Well, the nearest ethanol free gas is 100+ miles from me in S.F. or Redding (California).  I thought I read somewhere that the high octane gas was ethanol free.  Any truth to that?

My only other option is aviation fuel and those are a bit of a drive as well.  Can anyone buy it at a air field or do you need some sort of clearance?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DMcCoy

What we have locally is called 'Clear Premium' - non ethanol premium.
I have never run AV gas but many antique engine people swear by it.

Small engines do run better on clear premium.  About $4.25 a gallon locally.

I too, avoid plastic gas cans.  Latest engine manual mentions to avoid gas from metal cans, and to not run E-15, but E-10 is OK.   Maybe they just want to sell engines and gas cans.

4x4American

What about plastic diesel/kero cans?  I have a handful of metal cans, including a jerry can but getting gas out without a mess is largely impossible
Boy, back in my day..

waho

Quote from: DMcCoy on July 12, 2015, 08:53:56 AM
What we have locally is called 'Clear Premium' - non ethanol premium.
I have never run AV gas but many antique engine people swear by it.

Small engines do run better on clear premium.  About $4.25 a gallon locally.

I too, avoid plastic gas cans. Latest engine manual mentions to avoid gas from metal cans, and to not run E-15, but E-10 is OK.   Maybe they just want to sell engines and gas cans.
They recommend plastic cans?

Ljohnsaw

I haven't shopped lately, but thanks to CARB (California Air Resources Board), all cans offered for sale must be the spill-proof spouts.  All I see in the stores is plastic with the stupid spouts.  Takes forever to dispense fuel through them.  You can find metal cans at garage sales (Jerry cans) but they are generally in bad shape-rusted up.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Andre

I got 2 of these from a guy who was giving up racing.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/80211/10002/-1
May not be legal but the local sheriff asked were he could get some so as to not have to mess with the ones he could get in the stores.

For the "Wallmart" cans I add a vent hole a plug it with a roofing nail.
For a better looking solution you can get some plastic vent caps.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80217/10002/-1
See ya
  Andre' B.

AnthonyW

Quote from: 4x4American on July 12, 2015, 08:56:33 AM
What about plastic diesel/kero cans?  I have a handful of metal cans, including a jerry can but getting gas out without a mess is largely impossible

Most of the time, I use a jiggler siphon rather than pouring. Flows at a rate I can control and with no funnel I can see into the tank. So CARB be darned, I take the spout off any way.  :D
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

4x4American

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 12, 2015, 01:33:45 PM
I haven't shopped lately, but thanks to CARB (California Air Resources Board), all cans offered for sale must be the spill-proof spouts.  All I see in the stores is plastic with the stupid spouts.  Takes forever to dispense fuel through them.  You can find metal cans at garage sales (Jerry cans) but they are generally in bad shape-rusted up.

You can get the Eagle ones at your local Grainger's.  OR mail order them.  I have 3 of these and love them. 

I do not consider these jerry cans
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8838685142815832852?q=eagle+gas+cans&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=679&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.97653015,d.cWw&ion=1&tch=1&ech=1&psi=AySjVYHcL4Hu-QGr2rPwDA.1436754949356.5&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX1jRipMSha9ASjGUY3teATJLMt1YFK0hbnpZQ-IZeKHC9BpDpww6bYp1odgfyIoD8Hw-oo15O_9nsWKpEI8TAkKfB6oFgK1xnasPx7OH_HIG1wEyARIZAFPVH72rYdm4DoR1cIxASPNrSaRi2w7vmA&ved=0CAwQpis&ei=CSSjVdmoGsXn-AGAsKrIBg

Quote from: AnthonyW on July 12, 2015, 10:34:59 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on July 12, 2015, 08:56:33 AM

Most of the time, I use a jiggler siphon rather than pouring. Flows at a rate I can control and with no funnel I can see into the tank. So CARB be darned, I take the spout off any way.  :D

:D  these CARB people just don't get it.  Now with their junk spill proof cans most people take the spout off and spill more than ever!!  At my regular job, every so often on small jobs we use 5 gal cans to fuel up equipment instead of bringing the fuel truck, and with the spill proof nozzles we always just take em off and aim for in and around the hole.  Not only are we spilling more, we are also wasting valuable fuel.  Oh well, this must be what they wanted!  They also, IMO, need to make gas can threads a standard size.

The best spill proof plastic cans I've used are these:
https://www.pricefalls.com/product/no-spill-1405-2-12-gallon-poly-gas-can-carb-compliant/20405766?source=GoogleShopping&medium=cpc&term=PLA-SC&content=61865531738product_type_l1&campaign=TexasValue&adpos=3o1&creative=59282505151&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwoIitBRDTgeiZq93F2LQBEiQAMfXL0S7cFQVGYysaWcmTlzEKnFSah1rl-rE3T3-QxB7lFy8aAj9o8P8HAQ

They work great in a 2.5 gal and under size.  I have a 5 gal version of this for diesel, and it pours way too slow.  SO I drilled a hole in the back of the tank, and I put a self tapping screw with the washer in it to plug it for transport. 

Ever since they took away that back vent on gas cans, many folks will drill a hole in the back.  Put without a good way to plug it, it just leaks.  So if they just never took em away in the first place there wouldn't be any problems! 

I have a friend who fuels up his powersaw with that small hole in the back of the tank.  More precise I guess.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Vents are readily available:  Vents
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

I had no idea you could buy them!
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

4x4
Would you set those long url's up as a link so they don't run our screens off to the other room?  Appreciate that...
Thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Hey just saw this.  I fiddle farted around with it for a few min.  Couldn't figure out how to get it to not be annoyingly long!  I clicked the insert hyperlink button, and pasted it in there, but it didn't seem to do anything.
Boy, back in my day..

acrosteve

I always run premium gas for my small engines.  My thinking is that ethanol has a rather low octane rating.  Which would not be something that they would want to mix in with a higher octane fuel.

My logic may be flawed, however.

Timberking B-20

bandmiller2

If you live in a goody goody liberal state you will have problems finding alkie free gas. Its worth paying the freight for the expensive canned gas if your an occasional user in two cycle engines. For mills, lawn equipment, tractors and snow blowers use the crap fuel but with blue (marine) stable. Have a shutoff under each fuel tank and run the carb dry when your done using it. Seems the damage is done in the carb not sitting in the tank. My 50's vintage Deeres don't seem to care ether way on the gas. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John S

MM,
Thanks for another great LINK!  Just orderd 10 vents!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

barbender

4x4, I decided to try one of those cans you linked to. I like it, so I went and got another ;) They work really well for fueling saws, it's easy to meter the fuel out. Most of the time, with other cans, I think only about 1/2 makes it in the saw tank ::)
Too many irons in the fire

deadfall

Is this the link to that can?  Or was it this one?
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

beenthere

Personally, I really like the No-Spill cans..   first link.

Thanks deadfall, for using the "link" feature to those long url's 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

barbender- glad to hear it!  I hear ya there before I had one of them I would get the sawgas in and around the tank, mainly around. :D

deadfall-how you do dat link thing ???
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

4x4
To see the "code" for the link, click on the "quote" of his post.
There you will see the use of the square brackets, where the url fits, and where the 'name' of the link fits.
The = sign and the / along with the [] have important places and position.
south central Wisconsin

deadfall

It's weird that there is a button for FTP links but not for URLs.  I didn't know how to do it, so it was trial and error until I got the combo that worked.  This is not my first rodeo errrr... forum.  It seems there are no two alike.  Some forums want the URL in quotation marks, but this one didn't. 

So, here's how:  (Note: Just for explanation here, when you see these: < >, think these: [ ].)

<URL=(paste the URL here)>linking text here</URL>

So:

< = [     

> = ]

I anyone knows an easier way, please show us.

It was nice that I learned how to do ° with a button instead of writing the word, degree.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Thank You Sponsors!