The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: My Grandpa diet  (Read 9476 times)

Offline rooster 58

• Senior Member x2
  • GRIZ, the sawmill mgr.
    • Share Post
Re: My Grandpa diet
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »
No, actually my skin doesn't  feel "stretched tight" as Kathy says. But it is not loose.

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2015, 05:13:37 PM »
I ran across this collection of photos on another forum today.  Great pictures taken from 1939 to 1949.  Entertaining to look at in themselves but note not a single overweight person in the pictures even though many of the pictures display an abundance of food. 

http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2015, 05:33:16 PM »
Thank you Bibby.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »

You mentioned ketchup having corn sugar,   

Hunts generally doesn't have corn syrup. But we found in Marden's stores in Maine a Hunts bottle size with corn syrup. So I suspect it depends on what part of the country that bottle of Hunts was made. If you go to the regular Shop and Save or Haniford's it's without the corn syrup. Same with soft drinks, up here corn syrup. In some states none. A lot of home cooking and candies was made with corn syrup even in my grandma's day. Grandma liked butter, she made her own and sold some.
Move'n on.

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
I was poking around looking at sugar consumption over history. There are a number of places to look up the figures. Here is one that breaks it down pretty simple  - and it's shocking.   The average person a 100 years ago consumed 4 pounds of sugar a year. Today, the average person consumes 1/4 to 1/2 pounds per DAY!  Or 150-170 pounds per year.

http://bamboocorefitness.com/not-so-sweet-the-average-american-consumes-150-170-pounds-of-sugar-each-year/
Sawing since '94

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »
As some of you are aware, Mary and I have taken up Cowboy Action Shooting.   June of last year we attended a national match in New Mexico.  While there we bought some real, period correct cowboy duds.   I had to suck it up a bit to button up my pants.  We wore them again last fall.  I put them on this morning as we were going to a regional match.  I was pleasantly surprised I didn't have to suck up to button the top of the pants.  In fact,  I could slip both hands in the top and still have a loose fit.
    8)
Sawing since '94

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
I made two diet mistakes today.  The first was skipping my protein breakfast and eating a BIG bowl of cereal.  I felt somewhat full but my hunger wasn't satisfied.   About 9:00 I was starving and starting to feel bad.  I found a little something to eat until lunch.   

Then, somehow double filled chocolate cookies made it into the house. (Mary is evil.  The more I make progress on my diet,  the more junk she brings to me.) I ate one.  From the first bite, it tasted awful.  The filling was just whipped sugar.   I know it sounds strange but once you get over consuming large amounts of sugar,   you can't stand something really sweet.
Sawing since '94

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »
I understand.  I doubt that I could eat more than one bite from a candy bar.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2015, 04:39:32 AM »
How's everyone doing on their diet plan?

I have to admit I've put a few pounds back on. We're getting more serious about retirement and have been doing very little sawmill work.  We are traveling a lot more that means eating out more. 

Thanksgiving.

Daughter-in-law fixed enough for 20 people on Thanksgiving.  Then another big meal the next evening because nobody wants to eat leftovers. She sent about 10 pounds (exaggeration) of pumpkin cheesecake home with us.

Then Mary fixed dinner on following Sunday for son Gabe and girls plus new grandson-in-law.  Eat leftovers all week. But that didn't stop Mary from baking something every day.

I'm trying my best to keep on my Grandpa diet and get some exercise every day.  Although I've put on a few pounds,  my blood sugar has remained remarkably good.  My blood pressure has suffered a little but staying "good".

Now comes Christmas.   Uhaa!
Sawing since '94

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2015, 07:49:03 AM »
Traveling in a car and eating out get to me real quick, I usually clean my plate and start suffering for it about 10 miles down the road.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2015, 01:10:03 AM »
About 5 years ago my wife was having some issues with her heart so I drove the 160 + miles and took her to a cardiologist.  The man walks into the room with her lab results in his hand and the first words out of his mouth were, "stop eating so much pasta."  The next words out of his mouth were, "Don't look at me like that.  Everybody with triglycerides this high eats way too much pasta." 

Long story short, we took him seriously and cut  the pasta to once or twice a month and then it was whole wheat. We started eating a diet very much like Bibbyman 's grandpa diet.  To date, my wife is 50 pounds lighter and I'm 40 pounds lighter. 

Leaving junk food totally out of the picture and looking at the remainder, the unhealthy food is healthier for you than the healthy food. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2015, 05:06:45 AM »
Same scenario with butter vs margarine. The fad years ago was pushing margarine. These days it's back on butter and actually some dairies reporting shortages. I don't know where though ;D , the only time when butter (and it will be a brand name) is gone from the shelves is when it's on for $3.00 a lb versus $5.50 . When the $3 stuff is sold, there's still the $5.50 stuff on the shelf.  ;D 8) You can't put much faith or acceptance in talking heads on the radio. Sometimes just bla bla bla is news. :D
Move'n on.

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2016, 04:12:07 AM »
Same scenario with butter vs margarine. The fad years ago was pushing margarine. These days it's back on butter and actually some dairies reporting shortages. I don't know where though ;D , the only time when butter (and it will be a brand name) is gone from the shelves is when it's on for $3.00 a lb versus $5.50 . When the $3 stuff is sold, there's still the $5.50 stuff on the shelf.  ;D 8) You can't put much faith or acceptance in talking heads on the radio. Sometimes just bla bla bla is news. :D

Mary buys raw milk, farm eggs and in season produce from a local farmer.  He has to be well in his 70s but milks 6 cows by hand, his wife pretty much runs the egg business,  and he puts our a big truck patch every year, raises strawberries,  has fruit orchard,  makes maple syrup on and on. His sons talk like he eats about a pound of butter a day. They are likely exaggerating but I'm sure he eats more butter than recommend.

I'm still doing well on my grandpa diet despite Mary's efforts to wreck it.  On these nasty winter days, she'll get the urge to bake some dessert.    She got to where she was baking something every day. Far more than we needed or could use.  It's impossible to smell something baking and have it available and not indulge.  I finally had to tell her to stop.  She did for about a week. Now she's decided she can bake breads. Not  nearly as diet destructive as desserts.

Despite my efforts to keep my blood pressure down through diet and exercise,  I've had spikes in blood pressure.   I think I've found the cause.   Seems each time we eat at this one cajon catfish restaurant,  my blood pressure jumps to a serious level.  I'm thinking they must use MSG or something in their food.
Sawing since '94

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 04:35:32 AM »
Here are three diet items I do that maybe helps and I'm sure doesn't hurt.

1) I drink a lot of green tea.  Almost exclusively throughout the day.  I make it hot in the microwave and drink it hot about six months of the year.   As the weather heats up,  I have hot green tea with breakfast and then make another cup and let it set and cool.  Then I dump it in a glass with ice. I brew another cup and it's cool by the time I'm ready for another glass. Suppose to be a lot of health benefits to green tea.  I think they're on to something. 

I'm not particularly fond of green tea but I'm convenienced it's helped keep my blood pressure down and it's one DanG sight healthier than medications. 

2) Raw apple cider vinegar with mother.  I get up in the night and guzzle a big glass of water with about a table spoon of ACV.   Not real tastie but is said to be a general healt benefit.  1001 claims with some studies backing some of them up.  Old time cure for urinary problems.  It also is a natural insect repellent as it changes the chemical balance of your sweat. 

3)  Cinnamon is said to stimulate the liver to moderate blood sugar levels.   I sprinkle a little on my toast and for sure on my fried apples.   Test have been inconclusive that cinnamon actually works to lower blood sugar but my blood sugar has been holding in a lower range.   
Sawing since '94

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 04:42:23 AM »
I've heard of that acv being nothing but good, sure doesn't taste it though! lol

Boy, back in my day..

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
I've heard of that acv being nothing but good, sure doesn't taste it though! lol

Some claims are apparently true, but a lot is quackery to. And too much can be damaging to your stomach to.
Move'n on.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 04:24:15 PM »
You are supposed to rinse good after as the ACV eats away at the enamel on your teeth.
The First 60 some years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »
Yes that to.
Move'n on.

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
Yes, be careful with ACV and dilute it with lots of water.  I've been drinking it for years and haven't rinsed after drinking it.  I get dental checkups every 6 months and if I've lost any enamel,  they haven't mentioned it.

Vinegar is power stuff. I tried a rust removal trick using one part white vinegar to four parts water to remove rust from steel. I bought most of an old shotgun at flea market price. It was heavily crusted with rust. I use an ultrasonic cleaner to help.  As you see from video, it really dissolved the rust.
Sawing since '94

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2016, 07:00:41 AM »
I'll have to mention it to my little sister, she uses it as salad dressing!

I can't see the video, but I think it's just my phone being slow.  Will check it later from computer next time I get on.
Boy, back in my day..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
On a New Diet

Started by kantuckid on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

3 Replies
Last post November 21, 2020, 09:55:40 AM
by kantuckid
xx
Diet anyone??

Started by CCC4 on Forestry and Logging

36 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 07:24:53 PM
by tmarch
xx
diet drinks

Started by easymoney on General Board