iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Best Wood for Kindling?

Started by ReggieT, August 03, 2015, 02:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Just wanted to find out...I use the scraps off my splittings and so forth for starter.
Yet, I found out I may have been turning down some red cedar & pine bottoms that are better for kindling.

What is you guys experience as the best & simplest wood to harvest for top notch kindling?

Thanks

LeeB

I like pine and cedar because they light easily and burn hot. Cedar also smells nice. Having said that, I do the same thing you do and split kindling from whatever firewood I happen to be splitting.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

I agree. Pine is good for getting a fire started, especially if it's got a bit of pitch in it.

Get a good hot fire blazing with some larger chunks of pine, and then load up with the denser hardwood for the longer burn time.

Cedar will work too. The lighter woods like that seem to catch easier than denser hard wood.

Being less dense they don't burn for as long, but for getting a hot fire going quickly it's hard to beat them.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I like cedar,but anything dry will work good. I had some red oak that I thought I was going to make some shingles out of. It was drying for 5-6 years in pieces about 6 square. That went for kindling. Worked wonderfully.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

You can't beat what us southern boys call fat lighter pine. Usually stumps and roots that are really full of pitch. Slightly less flamable than gasoline, burns hot and fast. It's rough on any kind of saw...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

The best, IMO, is what is readily available, is dry, and easy to light.... and that for me is the white ash debris (splinters, etc.) left over from splitting firewood. Accumulate it in some plastic barrels and grab a handful for fireplace, wood burner, bon fire, brush fire, etc. when needed. Light it with a match or torch no problem at all.

But I don't otherwise make additional effort to "gather" kindling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

North River Energy

White Birch seems to go off with enthusiasm.  Other than that, processor splinters or whatever gets cleared from around the field.

WDH

Reggie, in your neck of the woods, in Alabama, it is fat litered pine, hands down. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Here in Mississippi we simply call em pine knots....It can be just the inner skeleton of a slow growth pine in addition to the root.  I keep a few by the back fence...one of those bigger ones can light many fires....We some times use the expression "tough as a pine knot"  to describe a really tough person.  Banjo

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ivan49

I like the big cedar powerpoles. They are not treated above the ground and are easy to split. The ones I am using now was put into the ground in 1940 and the dia of the pole above the ground is about a inch smaller from the blowing sand

redprospector

Our version of "fat Pine" is usually a byproduct of forest fires. The fire sets the pitch, and it's almost a waxy feel to it. Light it with a match and the black smoke just rolls off of it.  :D We call it New Mexico Rocket Fuel.
I don't look for it much anymore since I found a 25" rocket fuel log 30' long. Should be enough to last me, my kids, and my grandkids for the rest of our lives.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Tim

Quote from: Ivan49 on August 04, 2015, 10:47:17 PM
I like the big cedar powerpoles. They are not treated above the ground and are easy to split. The ones I am using now was put into the ground in 1940 and the dia of the pole above the ground is about a inch smaller from the blowing sand

Might want to be careful with those. They are treated through and through here. Part of the treatment tends to evaporate over time. We bag 10,000 to 12,000 bags of kindling here per year. It started out as a means to clean up the yard and were in the right place at the right time and met the right fellow. We're now buying slabs in from other mills in the area.

We were cutting material to split into kindling. I loaded what I thought was hemlock, looking at it with the cut face down into the jig. I came across more of it after that one was buried in the jig, noticing the creosote treatment. When that one in the jig got cut up you certainly could smell that it wasn't hemlock.

Eastern White Cedar Shingles

petefrom bearswamp

western red cedar from the untreated portion of utility poles, Eastern white pine, Hemlock in that order.
Here in the US the cedar is only what is called incised and butt dipped for treatment at the base.
I recall in my younger days, I think it was Herters advertising "Georgia fat wood" in bundles for kindling.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

I got plenty of "Georgia Fat Wood". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Whenever I find an old rotten pine tree I kick the knots out of it. You can light them with a match.  :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

NH-Murph

A "Plow and Hearth" catalog showed up the other day... They'll sell you a fancy cardboard box full of kindling for your first born :o

red

No kindling needed just use a Road Safety Flare
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Tim

Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

gspren

For my OWB I use a few of the bigger splitter scraps and a diesel soaked corn cob. I use a plastic coffee can and stand the cobs on end, broken to just below the lid, pour about 2 inches of diesel and it wicks up. I don't need to relight very often but I also use these in the fire ring. One can full lasts a year.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

ReggieT

Quote from: NH-Murph on August 06, 2015, 06:18:21 AM
A "Plow and Hearth" catalog showed up the other day... They'll sell you a fancy cardboard box full of kindling for your first born :o
Yep...looked @ some of their prices and their mighty proud of everything they sell...too proud!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :o :o

ReggieT

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on August 06, 2015, 06:12:24 AM
Whenever I find an old rotten pine tree I kick the knots out of it. You can light them with a match.  :)
Are those the same kinda knots you see in hardwood tree's yet they don't rot in the pines? ???
Not being a wise guy...I'd like to accumulate a mess of them if I could.

Thanks
Reggie btw...just read up on ze pine knots...."learn something new everyday...Dam it man! lol :P

Weekend_Sawyer

Yes that's right, when a pine tree rots the knots don't.
and they really smell good when they are burning.

Jon

ReggieT

Wow Jon!

Brother this is really something...I really appreciate this.
between your advice and the YouTube video's of dudes gathering them by the ton...has got me headed to the woods with a couple of contractor bags or 5 gallon buckets to fill with pine knots! 8)
BTW...am I correct to assume that the roots of dead pines are pretty decent also? ???

Thanks Again,
Reggie

WDH

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep you can feel them they will be heavy. Sometimes theres No Tree Left Just Knots.

Banjo picker

The quick growth stuff the paper companies around here have been planting for the last few 50 or so years wont ever make much of a pine knot.  It just rots.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ReggieT

Quote from: Banjo picker on August 08, 2015, 11:32:55 PM
The quick growth stuff the paper companies around here have been planting for the last few 50 or so years wont ever make much of a pine knot.  It just rots.  Banjo
DON'T SAY THAT!!! say_what smiley_furious3

WDH

Look for old stumps.  Bust away the rotten outside, and the fat liter will be in the middle and down into the ground. 

ReggieT

Quote from: WDH on August 09, 2015, 07:24:29 AM
Look for old stumps.  Bust away the rotten outside, and the fat liter will be in the middle and down into the ground.
Will do! 8)

TonyK.

Old dry cedar cut between the branches about 10" long.

Dixiebonsai

In my part of the country,Tennessee, I find that pine,cedar, sassafras, and sycamore start fires pretty good.Sassafras and dried sycamore burn like they have gasoline injected into them. I try to avoid cutting up a lot of this wood, I prefer shag bark and pignut hickory, white oak and red oak for my woodpiles.

Magicman

Fresh sawn, even heartwood, has too much moisture.  I only use the "good stuff" which is fat pine from old stumps. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

We sell and burn jack pine and birch, nothing like a wad of birch bark to get it going, I throw all the lose bark and splinters into a tote bag lasts us for several years.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Mountaineer

For us in WV, poplar is hard to beat.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Thank You Sponsors!