The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Singing The Blue Pine Blues  (Read 10289 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Singing The Blue Pine Blues
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »
The amount of blue varies from 5% to 90%, depending on the tree.  For the bar top, I picked out the bluest of the blue, some of the 90% blue stuff.  On average, there is maybe 30 - 40% blue. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »
 The edge og my new kitchen table has " bleu stain " I chose those two boards just for there look.  :)

You can see in the pic the darker colour of the edge ...

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
Lady wanted a blue pine door, barn style, to go between a bedroom and a closet.  It will be a sliding door.  They are really popular now.  So, I made her a barn-style, blue pine door.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »
I gotta hand it to you on this one.....this is pretty cool.  :)
Of course I feel at home around barn doors any way.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 10:58:48 PM »
A lot of nice looking work with "junk" wood! I've read that blue stain fungus only affects sap wood, so it stops when it reaches hardwood and I have seen that to be true in my logs. I think young southern plantation pine is likely almost all sapwood, so the blue goes all the way through.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
Yes, all sapwood at the age of these trees, which is about 29 years of age. 

Online Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »
Nice work !
Barn doors are in !
Jim /Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2015, 07:07:05 PM »
Nice door. Is the main panel glued up or floating?  I built one like that years ago that I glued up and it would warp as the seasons changed because of all the different grain directions. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 07:57:42 PM »

This pic is part of the kids remodel project in the home they Bought in May. ALL the wood for this fire place and a wall in progress right now came from a large tree on their mobile home lot that I sawed up a couple of years ago. I think I posted a video link of the sawing of that tree.

I was quite surprised how much blueish grey we ended up with in this aspen.
It is finishing up real nice.

Will post a few more pic of completed project when they are available.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 08:14:34 PM »
Bandit,

That is a nice use of some wood with character.

The panel is glued and it floats in dado grooves inside the frame.  The groove is 1" deep, and the panel extends 3/4" inside the groove, leaving a free space of 1/4" on each side for seasonal movement of the panel. 

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 12:29:59 AM »
I like it. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 07:42:37 PM »
Not sure what weight it carries, but have heard from ole timer wood workers that the blue in pine and the associated (rot) is a myth, one customer loves it and buys all I have when I get it. It is most definitely a work of art in my view. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2019, 08:02:51 AM »
I sell all the blue pine that I can get, and right now, I am about out.  I have some older logs that have had the bark fall off.  I sawed some and there is some blue ranging from 50% in the outer shell boards to almost none in the center of the log.  So, I am helping nature out a bit to get more blue.  I have tried several approaches to make the logs bluer all the way from just sawing and leaving the lumber dead stacked for a while in the summer heat, from sawing cants and leaving the cants stacked outside under a tree for four of five months, but the best so far has been to let a dead pine stand on the stump for a good while.  I did try once to cover a stack of fresh sawn pine with a tarp, and it worked pretty good, but I don't think I left it under the tarp long enough.  

So, I am trying that approach again.  The boards already have some blue, so I know the fungus is there, so I stickered the boards off the sawmill onto a pallet.

I put the pallet in a part of the yard that will get full sun all day and tarped it.  I will let it cook in the heat and humidity for at least three weeks, maybe four this time and try out this recipe.  I believe that you get better results by stickering than dead stacking because stickering lets the hot humid air get between all the layers and give the boards maximum exposure under the tarp.  That is my hypothesis.

The time that I stacked the cants worked OK, but not nearly what I wanted.  These cants were sawn from fresh logs, so they had not been inoculated with the fungus by ambrosia beetles when first sawn.  After sawing and stacking, the ambrosia beetles did get in and leave those signature black lined holes, but the amount of blue was not what I wanted.  Here are the stacked cants.  I watered them once a day to keep them wet for about a week or so.  

They stayed stacked like this from mid-July to mid-October.Then I sawed them.  About 85% came out like this.

Not bad, but not what I wanted.  About 15% came out like this.

Now this is more of what I am looking for.  Here is a project where my blue pine was used as paneling in a Church Youth Center.  

This is the goal.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 06:56:05 PM »
I sawed 15-20 slash and llolbllollly logs Wednesday afternoon that gave up quite a bit of blue pine.  They had been sitting around a bit too long.  They have a great color but they also have some borers in them.  They are sticker stacked and I'll see what they do over the next few weeks.  If they don't turn out well, I got a good workout on the Accuset II which paid off yesterday and today when sawing dimensional lumber.

Coincidently, Jmoores uncle needs quite a bit of blue pine to do the inside of his cabin.  I hope what I sawed Wednesday turns out decent.  Most was sawn at 1"x8".

Caveman

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »
Im hopeful you guys crack the blue pine code, because my results have been as erratic as a one eyed drunken chicken.

The one thing I did find is that if I dont dessicate the big pine borer grubs enough in the kiln, the ants will come get the leftovers.   :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 09:22:44 PM »
Again with the chicken reference.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2019, 12:05:28 AM »
You fellas still haven't figured out, that the best way to get pine to turn blue, is to try not to!😁
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Woodpecker52

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2019, 12:14:20 AM »
fine line between blue stain and just plain ole bug infested!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2019, 11:38:51 AM »
Cooking in the Georgia heat.  smiley_sun popcorn_smiley

Barbender, I think that you may have the key to the whole issue.  I am trying too hard to mess it up ;D

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
I got it to work correctly once, maybe twice in a as many years.  Deep blue colors, no bugs to speak of, and 
I sold it before I knew it.  Tried it again, and again, and well, again, and never as good.  

I even went to the log yard and marked all the pine logs that were deep blue on the end.  I thought I had it made when they were loaded on my trailer and driven home.  How hard could this be?  When I cut them on the mill, the blue only went about a foot from the end.  So then I had wood I couldn't sell as blue pine and couldn't sell as clean pine.  So I just turned it into pallets.  What a dud.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Singing the blues

Started by JMG on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2019, 10:07:31 PM
by JMG
xx
blue stain on pine

Started by gtr on Ask The Forester

10 Replies
Last post April 15, 2006, 08:37:20 PM
by Pullinchips