iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Then try to unshim your high spots!  If every bunk is low besides the end two, seems to me that the ends are too high.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

You can also use long shims and nail them in place.  Or glue.
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Quote from: Wallee on September 05, 2015, 12:07:03 AM
Going to do just that! But seems like shims would easily fall out when handling heavy logs?

I did not have a problem with that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

I have been a builder for over 30 years .
String lines and plumb bobs never lie !
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

beenthere

Strings are good for straight in the horizontal, but always droop in the vertical due to the weight of the string. May not be enough droop to matter in this case.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on September 05, 2015, 07:00:30 AM
Then try to unshim your high spots!  If every bunk is low besides the end two, seems to me that the ends are too high.
Think that would be easier to do than shimming it all over. Going to take my shovel to those two end bunks this evening and see what I can come up with! I think this is a simpler solution. We shall see!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Kbeitz

Doesent anyone use a water level any more...
A bucket of water and two hoses works wonders...
Or a lazer....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Wallee

Earlier this summer you posted a pic of your beginning foundation.  Is it still the same, and sitting on the 6x6 blocks?
What is the ground like under these blocks, and is it possibly changing from time to time as logs are loaded and sawn??

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Quote from: beenthere on September 05, 2015, 07:45:21 PM
Wallee

Earlier this summer you posted a pic of your beginning foundation.  Is it still the same, and sitting on the 6x6 blocks?
What is the ground like under these blocks, and is it possibly changing from time to time as logs are loaded and sawn??

Only thing different is, I added another level of 4x6's longways to get the mill up higher. Underneath is just dirt that has been under that shed for years. I suspect that its hard being it has been there so many years and been walked on so much when the last mill was set up there.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on September 08, 2015, 08:02:52 AM
So what have ya come up with?
Been logging a bit and haven't fired the mill up till about 2 days ago! So I took the advice and unwedged the ends and sawed a cant.... and I was within a 1/16 all the way! Way closer. Hopefully with a little last adjustment, I should be in the clear!

So since all I have is some logging pics, I will share!

Wallee

Still out here cutting some pine. Did mill some of the saw logs up for a barn project!

4x4American

Looking good!  How's she sawing?
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Just a reminder that if you get involved with any "plantation planted" Pine logs, expect much stress/tension and plan to turn them 180° after each board is removed.  Those fast growing with ½" growth rings are misery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on September 25, 2015, 07:05:35 AM
Looking good!  How's she sawing?
Honestly... I have cut a cant 1/16 out and felt like I was getting close only to cut another right after back to the 1/8 crap in the middle. But, I haven't sawed much due to being on a mostly pine/hardwood pulp track of timber. I will have a few loads of pallet cant logs to saw up here in a few days and I plan to see if I can dial it in. I still need to unwedge the upper end a bit. Weird thing to me is, is the frame really flexing a 1/8" and dropping. I mean it looks like it would be solid enough metal to hold itself up.

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on September 25, 2015, 08:48:51 AM
Just a reminder that if you get involved with any "plantation planted" Pine logs, expect much stress/tension and plan to turn them 180° after each board is removed.  Those fast growing with ½" growth rings are misery.
I will definitely heed your advice Magicman! Are you attending the woodmizer show in quitman, Ms. tomorrow?

Magicman

I wanted to, but the wife's blood pressure is whacko and I am staying close.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Sorry to hear that magician! Will keep her in my prayers. Hope all is well!

plowboyswr

Quote from: Wallee on September 25, 2015, 11:30:54 PM
Sorry to hear that magician! Will keep her in my prayers. Hope all is well!
X2
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

petefrom bearswamp

Prayers for Pat from Linda and Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Wallee

Got a custom ERC job this morning. Cut a few mantles and some 1" live edge stuff!

sandsawmill14

good looking cedar looks pretty sound  :) how milling working out for you so far?
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Wallee

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on September 28, 2015, 11:25:13 PM
good looking cedar looks pretty sound  :) how milling working out for you so far?

Absolutely love it! Would love to develop a relationship with some reliable loggers! Been cutting all my own and milling what I can. I got a HUGE barn build coming up here in the near future so the mill will come in handy! I did get a few leads on some good loggers who cut a lot of hardwood today while out horseshoeing so maybe I will get some tie logs in soon!!!!!

Wallee

Noticed when I was cutting that cedar the other day it was kinda cutting a bit wavy or rather not so smooth, if you look closely in the pics you can see what I am talking about. Usually I would say its probably a dull blade but surely that isnt the case because all that blade has cut is a single 15" dia, pine log.

Thank You Sponsors!