iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

Quote from: East ky logging on December 15, 2015, 08:53:26 PM
Man that's some pretty lumber and I'm tickled to death that everything is working out for you
thanks! Yeah we have been blessed this first few months. Word is spreading about the mill and calls coming in. I need a few more 2500 BF orders! Was a lot of work but payday was well worth it. Still learning the milling curve. Figuring out my mill has been fun. Sometimes frustrating lol. I had it dive once today in a pretty straight cant, and my diagnosis was to tighten the blade ever so much, like a 1/2" turn if that much and it went back to doing right. I did have a board or two that was slightly thicker on a end or what not, my guess was maybe that was stress?!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

beenthere

Wallee
Taking your pics with the volume button down doesn't work with your iphone?  They show up sideways, just FYI.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

How do you keep your truck from falling off that cliff. ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Wallee

Quote from: beenthere on December 17, 2015, 01:36:30 AM
Wallee
Taking your pics with the volume button down doesn't work with your iphone?  They show up sideways, just FYI.
Huh? They appear in the correct orientation to me on my phone.
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 17, 2015, 10:00:47 AM
How do you keep your truck from falling off that cliff. ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
What cliff? Lol
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Magicman

QuoteHuh? They appear in the correct orientation to me on my phone.
Look at your above Reply #224 from your PC and then you will know.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

They are straight from my phone too
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2015, 07:46:05 PM
QuoteHuh? They appear in the correct orientation to me on my phone.
Look at your above Reply #224 from your PC and then you will know.   ;D
I noticed some are wrong from pc to phone? Why

beenthere

Wallee
Here is a clue, and a fix when taking pics. 

http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

Tis why I asked the question in post 226   ;)

You can fix them by going to your gallery (might need to be in a PC) and clicking the pic, then clicking on the "Crop and rotate" button underneath it. Rotate them and click "save". They will be correct but you may have to re-paste them in your modified post.
south central Wisconsin

Darrel

It wasn't too long ago that they were wondering how the logs stayed on my mill, it was the same exact thing. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Wallee

Well the father in law to the 2500bf order just called in a 4000bf order! Time to fire up the ole lt15 after Christmas!! Really excited about staying busy, lt15 is trying to pay itself off early!

Magicman

Yup, you will be cruising the For Sale board.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on December 23, 2015, 07:15:40 PM
Yup, you will be cruising the For Sale board.   ;D
Ha ha I am dying for a upgrade now! I would love some hydraulics. Question I have is, would an lt35hd be a big enough upgrade? How much faster is the lt35 vs. the lt15 on cut speed? Theses are pretty important questions to me because the lt15 is not a problem in the sense of hydraulics.... I have 2 good helpers who are always with me when sawing. The slowest portion for me is mill head speed, once I have a cant to spec, it would definitely be nicer to be able to push the mill head faster thus increasing my production. Now hydraulics would be very nice because I would be able to probably saw faster without having to stop other and coordinate them with the cant hooks and what not. plus the hyd clamp would be awesome!

WDH

Set it up with the power feed.  That will increase your cutting speed. 

I believe that the LT35 has a smaller throat diameter than the LT40.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I understand the logs that you get and will potentially get.  The LT35 has to be a good sawmill, personally I would skip over it.  I would set my sights on the LT40 SuperHydraulic.

tmarch

With my manual mill the time that the blade is actually in the wood cutting is short compared to the stopped time loading, turning and positioning the logs or cants. 
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Wallee

Quote from: WDH on December 24, 2015, 08:01:45 AM
Set it up with the power feed.  That will increase your cutting speed. 

I believe that the LT35 has a smaller throat diameter than the LT40.
I have the power feed option. Its nice, would have the lt15 without it. However it would be better if woodmizer would have went with a chain rather than a rope. It tends to need adjustment from time to time. Less lately after most of the stretch has came out of the rope. Still I think it would have been better if they would have used the set up like the simpleset works and chain system used on the lt35 manual. Now lets talk hp, how much more cutting speed is offer by say going with the upgraded engine options with wm mills. Like for example would anything have been gained in cutting speed by going with the 16.8 diesel engine over the 19hp gas on the lt15?

Magicman

The way your sawing business is growing plus the potential for further growth, I would hate to see you have to upgrade a second time.  I regularly get calls from the Starkville area.  Matter of fact, I have one scheduled there for after the first of the year.

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2015, 11:37:38 AM
The way your sawing business is growing plus the potential for further growth, I would hate to see you have to upgrade a second time.  I regularly get calls from the Starkville area.  Matter of fact, I have one scheduled there for after the first of the year.
that is very true! I'm just scared to get in over my head in debt ya know?

plowboyswr

Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2015, 08:56:53 AM
I understand the logs that you get and will potentially get.  The LT35 has to be a good sawmill, personally I would skip over it.  I would set my sights on the LT40 SuperHydraulic.

lot of knowledge and wisdom there.  :)  if I remember correctly another member he advised to use their current mill to pay for the new one. If the jobs line up enough you will be able to upgrade in a short time.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

4x4American

There's a diesel 40super for sale in the for sale section up in spooner wisconsin, asking price is like $14k or something.  Seems like a good deal.
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: plowboyswr on December 24, 2015, 02:09:13 PM
Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2015, 08:56:53 AM

lot of knowledge and wisdom there.  :)  if I remember correctly another member he advised to use their current mill to pay for the new one. If the jobs line up enough you will be able to upgrade in a short time.
What are the perks of a 40 over a 35?

Magicman

LINK  Four more inches of log diameter, and a much larger engine option.  Of course you start tacking on the $$$ with the options, but bells and whistles do much more than make noise.  I would seriously shop for a used sawmill, but I realize that few are available.  They also hold their value quite well.  I would be very hesitant to sell mine for what I paid for it used 14 years ago.

There are two LT40 SuperHydraulic mills listed in the For Sale Board, and you could also look at Forum Sponsor "Sawmill Exchange".

Verticaltrx

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think you'd see much improvement in productivity with an LT35 w/ 16.8 diesel vs your current setup. FYI, the cutting head is basically the same on the LT15/LT28/LT35, only difference is the bed and the options. If you plan on staying stationary I think the LT15 is a fine mill for an operation like yours.

I'd look at the way your operation/layout is setup to increase productivity before spending more money on a larger mill, especially if you aren't paying cash for your upgrade. Now that
I have power feed on my mill and can easily average 250bf/hr, by myself, including stacking and stickering. With a good helper, good logs, and a few more improvements to my mill area layout I think I could do over 300bf/hr pretty easy. That's sawing a mix of framing lumber and 1" siding, generally between 10-16' long. Lest we forget that the LT15 is capable of huge production numbers (IIRC it was close to 900bf/hr with an edger at the latest sawmill shootout), but it does take an extremely efficient layout, operator, and helper(s).

Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Wallee

Quote from: Verticaltrx on December 25, 2015, 10:18:32 AM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think you'd see much improvement in productivity with an LT35 w/ 16.8 diesel vs your current setup. FYI, the cutting head is basically the same on the LT15/LT28/LT35, only difference is the bed and the options. If you plan on staying stationary I think the LT15 is a fine mill for an operation like yours.

I'd look at the way your operation/layout is setup to increase productivity before spending more money on a larger mill, especially if you aren't paying cash for your upgrade. Now that
I have power feed on my mill and can easily average 250bf/hr, by myself, including stacking and stickering. With a good helper, good logs, and a few more improvements to my mill area layout I think I could do over 300bf/hr pretty easy. That's sawing a mix of framing lumber and 1" siding, generally between 10-16' long. Lest we forget that the LT15 is capable of huge production numbers (IIRC it was close to 900bf/hr with an edger at the latest sawmill shootout), but it does take an extremely efficient layout, operator, and helper(s).
I think by paying cash and adding a edger I could up the production quite a bit. However the turning capabilities of the lt35hd and the roller toe boards for taking cants off the mill would be quite nice.

Thank You Sponsors!