iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yes they would and I was astounded by the increased productivity that an edger provides.  Remember that there is an edger listed in the For Sale board.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on December 25, 2015, 04:26:28 PM
Yes they would and I was astounded by the increased productivity that an edger provides.  Remember that there is an edger listed in the For Sale board.   ;D
Going to check that out!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

customsawyer

An edger will increase production but if you are cutting very much hardwood it will also increase yield.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Wallee

Quote from: customsawyer on December 26, 2015, 07:49:04 AM
An edger will increase production but if you are cutting very much hardwood it will also increase yield.
In what way? Being able to salvage more per log?
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Dave Shepard

When you edge on the mill, it is much harder to get the board on the mill at just the right angle, and if you are edging a bunch of boards together, you kind of just get what you get. With an edger, you can send the board through so you get the maximum width that the board will allow, and you set the edger for best yield. Softwoods I cut in even inch widths, as it is very often used without further processing, like siding or sheathing. Hardwoods, you take the maximum width you can get without getting too much wane. All those extra 1/4 or 1/2 inches add up when scaling. I like to stock pile all of my edger boards, then fire up the edger at the end of the sawing session. If you have a tail man, you can edge a lot of lumber in 20 minutes.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

I've never seen an edger work in person.  Can one cut out perfectly straight framing lumber, say a 16 foot 2x6 out of a 16 foot 2" flitch?  Seems to me there would have to be a long fence inside the edger to do this?  :P :P :P
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

If it's feeding correctly, it will cut very straight lumber. On my WM ED26, there is an infeed fence to start one edged lumber. Once the feed rolls grab it, it will feed straight. If you are using both blades, then you just eyeball it so it goes through where you want it. The bigger issues is, will the board stay straight when it dries.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Wallee

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 26, 2015, 12:04:40 PM
When you edge on the mill, it is much harder to get the board on the mill at just the right angle, and if you are edging a bunch of boards together, you kind of just get what you get. With an edger, you can send the board through so you get the maximum width that the board will allow, and you set the edger for best yield. Softwoods I cut in even inch widths, as it is very often used without further processing, like siding or sheathing. Hardwoods, you take the maximum width you can get without getting too much wane. All those extra 1/4 or 1/2 inches add up when scaling. I like to stock pile all of my edger boards, then fire up the edger at the end of the sawing session. If you have a tail man, you can edge a lot of lumber in 20 minutes.
After thought about it, we had a saw horse built just off the side of our old edger of my grandfathers and he would have the offbearers stacking them there till we finished the logs up. Then we did just as you said and he would come select the sizes and shoot the board down through the edger and we would separate the board from the two flitches. I think I could do the same with a woodmizer single blade edger and pay cash for the edger and increase productivity substantially. Instead of stopping and stacking the boards on the mill I could wait and fire up the edger and take care of that at the end and keep the logs rolling on the mill. One other thing I am highly considering is ordering the trailer package for my lt15.

Wallee

Broke my first blade today. Even kinked it up... Lol what causes this?

df
Here is a pile of ties I cut today. Hope to deliver 35 to the yard by Tuesday! I averaged 30 min per tie today. Way faster than when I started it took me over a hour lol. Figuring things out!

beenthere

QuoteFiguring things out!

Hate to bug you about it, but take pics on your iphone with vol. button "down"..  ;D
I think that solves the problem of sideways pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Quote from: Wallee on December 26, 2015, 11:39:47 PMBroke my first blade today. Even kinked it up... Lol what causes this?
Inertia as in momentum.  It made you jump didn't it.   :D

Blades traveling that fast have to go somewhere.

Here is one that made it past the fingers and exited the sawdust chute.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ya DanG right it will make you jump.  smiley_blue_bounce
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Wallee

Quote from: beenthere on December 27, 2015, 12:46:48 AM
QuoteFiguring things out!

Hate to bug you about it, but take pics on your iphone with vol. button "down"..  ;D
I think that solves the problem of sideways pics.
Orientation is correct from my phone but again it's different on the comp. apparently I need To take them upside down. But then wouldn't it be upside down in the phone?

beenthere

Wallee
QuoteOrientation is correct from my phone but again it's different on the comp. apparently I need To take them upside down. But then wouldn't it be upside down in the phone?

The key is to take the pic with the volume button down. Within the iPhone system, your pic will be corrected for up/down/sideways. Once out of that system, the pic tag that makes the correction is lost.
Hope that helps you understand it better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Quote from: beenthere on December 27, 2015, 12:49:18 PM
Wallee
QuoteOrientation is correct from my phone but again it's different on the comp. apparently I need To take them upside down. But then wouldn't it be upside down in the phone?

The key is to take the pic with the volume button down. Within the iPhone system, your pic will be corrected for up/down/sideways. Once out of that system, the pic tag that makes the correction is lost.
Hope that helps you understand it better.
Volume is on the side so I should take sideways shots with the volume facing the ground?

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on December 27, 2015, 08:23:53 AM
Quote from: Wallee on December 26, 2015, 11:39:47 PMBroke my first blade today. Even kinked it up... Lol what causes this?
Inertia as in momentum.  It made you jump didn't it.   :D

Blades traveling that fast have to go somewhere.

Here is one that made it past the fingers and exited the sawdust chute.
Oh yeah I jumped!!! Lol

Magicman

QuoteVolume is on the side so I should take sideways shots with the volume facing the ground?
Yup, volume buttons down always. 

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on December 27, 2015, 01:33:42 PM
QuoteVolume is on the side so I should take sideways shots with the volume facing the ground?
Yup, volume buttons down always.
Note taken!  ;D

Wallee

ok..... Planning on upgrading or at least talked to woodmizer today and will be discussing possibilities here soon. Someone more knowledgeable than me on these mills fill me in. Lt35hd vs. lt40hd. What are the hard fact differences between the two? I watched the videos on both and seems like the both are really similar. One difference I seen was the 40 came with the g26 kohler vs the 35 had a g25 kohler. 40 has more options you can add like control station options such as walk along or stationary and the 35 doesn't offer that. The 40 is 9000$ more..... IS it worth that?

4x4American

40 has a bigger throat I believe.  Also, look at the mast on the 35 vs the 40.  The 35 has one upright in the center and the 40 has two uprights.  The number on the mill actually denotes how many women you can bring to your millyard with the mill on a yearly basis.  So that alone says the 40 is worth it.  lol
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on December 28, 2015, 10:41:14 PM
40 has a bigger throat I believe.  Also, look at the mast on the 35 vs the 40.  The 35 has one upright in the center and the 40 has two uprights.  The number on the mill actually denotes how many women you can bring to your millyard with the mill on a yearly basis.  So that alone says the 40 is worth it.  lol
that last part ahahahahah.

Verticaltrx

You've got  a good thing going right now, don't burden yourself with a mountain of debt.

Look at increasing profits instead of production.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

paul case

I started out with a manual mill. I was to the point to quit all together because of the turning factor and clamping. I even added a pineywoods turner and clamp to my mill to ease the burden some. I was able to find a older LT40 for a reasonable price and bought it. That helped. I have actually picked up another one and my son now runs one with me. We still only run about 3k ft a day with 2 mills but it is much easier on my body.

Don't get hasty here. It is a place where you could run a muck with too much debt and not enough income. I remember 2009.

BTW where do you sell ties at that will take 30? I have to saw a semi load or at least 20 in a bundle.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Wallee

Quote from: paul case on December 29, 2015, 09:55:59 AM
I started out with a manual mill. I was to the point to quit all together because of the turning factor and clamping. I even added a pineywoods turner and clamp to my mill to ease the burden some. I was able to find a older LT40 for a reasonable price and bought it. That helped. I have actually picked up another one and my son now runs one with me. We still only run about 3k ft a day with 2 mills but it is much easier on my body.

Don't get hasty here. It is a place where you could run a muck with too much debt and not enough income. I remember 2009.

BTW where do you sell ties at that will take 30? I have to saw a semi load or at least 20 in a bundle.

pc
North American tie, my grandfather sold to the buyer under another company years ago. He told me he would buy 6 or 600 to just drop them off! I have delivered as little as 5 and as many as one bundle so far. Got my check a week later each time.  8)

Wallee

31 ties loaded and headed out in the morning!

Thank You Sponsors!