The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Eastern Red Cedar  (Read 8427 times)

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
Re: Eastern Red Cedar
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2015, 07:25:24 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I haven't even had time to look at the pile yet. There will be more cedar harvested at this site, and I hope to have a better idea of how to advise the cutting crew.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline bkaimwood

• Life's too short to sweat the small stuff
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »
Around here, seems carpenter ants ruin posts at ground level first...I'm fortunate,  or unfortunate to be not old enough to testify...just saying what the locals say...
bk

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2015, 11:19:11 PM »
Termites will eat White Oak that is in contact with the ground here in Mississippi.  Not so with heart ERC.
True here also.  Here's my personal experience.  Several years ago, I had to redo the fences in our farm, about 3 1/4 miles worth, so we had a lot of posts to deal with.  The previous farmers had installed the fence many decades ago, using ERC logs for line posts every hundred feet, and metal T posts every 10 feet.  The old barb wire was rusted out, and many of the metal T posts had literally rusted in two at ground level, so had to be replaced.   I don't know how long it takes for that to happen, but it's got to be a long time.  Interestingly enough, many of the ERC line posts were still serviceable and would take fencing stables. 
We replaced the fence about a decade ago, using a mix of fresh sawn ERC posts and creosote poles.  The ERC posts I installed still look great and the original ones are still standing also. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2015, 06:54:04 AM »
Here in NC I used ERC for my fence posts and white oak for my boards a few years back and everything looks good now but for a few white oak boards with knots bowing and cracking. I have cedar posts in ground at my old place that we planted for fence posts over 50 yo now still there.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
In 1980  I built a good bit of fence.  We used ERC posts, some 1/4, some 1/2, some round.  Several years ago, one fence was not needed as I had sold all of the "moofers".   I pulled several posts and cross cut sections near the bottom, at ground level and a foot up the post and near the top.  Near the bottom still had some sapwood that was sound.  It appears this was in water logged soil at about 2 1/2' deep.  Very discolored, and good sound heartwood.  At ground level all sapwood was gone on all the posts. But the heartwood was bright and still sound.    At one foot up, most sapwood gone, heartwood sound.  Near top of post, some sapwood sound.  Mostly on split post where the bark was gone very early in the posts life.  Round posts that kept bark on showed a good bit of sapwood deterioration, but still some sound sapwood.  A few posts showed evidence of termites working the sapwood.
Where I grew up in north central Indiana, all the post were squared cedar and they were tapered.   I know some of those posts were functional after 80 to 90 years.  I suspect the posts came from old growth cedar that was densely red heartwood.
My experience says do not use posts from tops of cedar trees as these usually have wide sap ring.  Also do not use post that have a fair amount of white intermingled with the heartwood.  i have seen cedar where there were sapwood rings in the heartwood.  Sometimes those rings were rotten and in a few cases all the material was gone, leaving a "tree inside of a tree".
For fence posts we grade out and only sell those with minimum sapwood.  5/8" or less sapwood.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
my experience with cedar fence post are just what cedarman described but because of my age about 30 yrs is as far as i can be sure of age on.  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 09:29:12 PM »
Thanks for the post Cedarman.  I don't have any cedar on my place that is big enough to make even a decent log.  I have to scrounge mine from where ever I can find it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2015, 10:56:04 PM »
I go to this guys sawmill every so often, and he always has piles of pecker pole cedars and i ask him is it really worth the time to get what little you can out of them pecker poles?  he says it pays to get 3- 2x4s outta one small log to help fill an order than it is to saw a bigger log.  I thought he was crazy but hey if there's a buck in it I guess why not
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2015, 11:21:09 PM »
4x4x8'   $14.00.  Cost of 6" log x8' is $4.95    Takes us less than a minute on the scragg.  Can easily do 1 on a WM in about 4 or 5 minutes.  That is about 2 bucks a minute gross profit over cost of log.  All about margin.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2015, 10:15:57 AM »
By golly it makes sense on paper!
Boy, back in my day..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Western Cedar VS Eastern Cedar

Started by MULE_MAN on General Board

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2005, 08:51:37 AM
by MULE_MAN
xx
Eastern Red Cedar - down a while.

Started by Saki on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2005, 09:47:45 PM
by Cedarman