The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: What is the best log splitter for small farm work?  (Read 23456 times)

Offline mf40diesel

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: What is the best log splitter for small farm work?
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
While it's not made in the States, my old man and I have been extremely happy with the Splitfire splitter that we have.  (Made in Canada) Ours is a 3pt hitch model, I can't recall the tonnage rating, but its a beast.  What I like about it, is that is splits in both directions, the knife/wedge, is attached to the ram and travels back and forth.  With one person running the lever and at least one other person feeding it with wood, you can really charge through a pile quickly.

Last I knew they had three variations,  3pt hich, so you need the tractor's hydraulics.... cheaper, and one less engine to maintain.  Then they offered two engine models, the cheaper Briggs and Stratton, and then the more expensive Honda.

Of course there are a few tonnage options too.  We have had ours for about 10 years and it is split many many cords of fire wood.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Offline Bay Beagle

• ~ FLATLANDER ~
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
If You have a tractor with hydraulic remote, I'd look @ those. I'm not a fan of gasoline engines - down time plays hell on the gas and carburetor ..... I use a KELLY 3 point, welded a platform tray to catch the split woods - running for 20+ years. Big stuff, I just let it down to ground level, and roll the log on.  Splitfire makes a 3 point, that splits on forward and return strokes.  Both splitters are priced under $1200 US.
If You have a loader w/hydraulics (either to the plate, or remotes) is another option for tractor use

Offline Hermio

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »
After renting a number of gasoline engine powered splitters, I decided I did not like the heat, noise and fumes. So, I went out and bought a 20 ton Ramsplitter, which is powered by a 3 Hp electric motor. It obviously cannot go into the woods, as it requires 220 volt power. But since a 3 Hp electric motor delivers 6 Hp intermittently, it has plenty of power. So far, it has been able to split anything the 25 ton rental splitters can split. It has a more acute wedge geometry to allow this. It is much cooler, quieter and lower maintenance than gas models. I am glad I got it.

Offline HiTech

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »
My first wood splitter was a "Go Devil", it worked good once you got the hang of it. lol Then I made one, still have and use and then bought a 3 pt. hitch one...seldom use. In the meantime I bought a "Monster Maul" and still use that to some extent.

Offline Woodhauler

• In Memoriam
  • Logging is in my blood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2015, 08:45:25 PM »
I have a Iron/Oak 30 ton fast cycle splitter with the 4 way wedge, very good splitter ! I split 22 inch wood , some so big I use my log loader to set it on!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Offline SawDust75

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »
I love my Swisher 28-Ton Vert/Horizontal splitter. Splits better than a gymnist!
Husqv 455 Rancher,Husqv 137
Gransfors Bruks Maul & Small Forest Axe
Regency Classic F2400 Medium Woodstove w/blower
Swisher 28-Ton Log Splitter
Kubota L5450 Loader
Suzuki King Quad 750 with homemade dump cart
Husqv 372XP will be in the arsenal Spring 2016!

Offline tlbrooks

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 07:15:49 PM »
the  3 point hitch splitter from tsc is a decent splitter for the money. I got mine for about 700 dollars on sale.i made the wedge about 6 inches taller and now it splits big stuff better.

Offline SineWave

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
I have not read the thread, and I have no basis for comparison, since I have only ever used one log splitter, in total, in my life, but the 22-ton log splitter I got at Tractor Supply ($900 with a 10% off coupon) has handily split everything I have thrown at it, including some pretty knotty white oak stumps. The reviews I read on the TSC website looked pretty good, and the consensus seems to be that you don't need anything bigger than 22 ton...

Offline ga jones

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2015, 10:07:18 PM »
Timberwolf
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Farm Work

Started by Magicman on General Board

22 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 05:08:39 PM
by paul case
xx
Captain at work at Empire Farm Days

Started by Brad_S. on General Board

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2005, 07:27:07 AM
by Captain