iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you working on?

Started by Dave Shepard, September 08, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingparks

Quote from: MB on February 02, 2018, 02:33:04 PM
12x20 storage shed

That is quite a storage shed. Curious...how are you attaching the posts to the slab?

MB

QuoteThat is quite a storage shed. Curious...how are you attaching the posts to the slab?

The posts are sitting on treated 1x material, but not fastened to the slab.  The sill plate is fastened with J-bolts.

Dave Shepard

Chopping log floor joists for a barn. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Hewing plates for the same barn.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Dave,those floor joists look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Today I made some peg hole mirrors to have for my upcoming trip to Heartwood school.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Heartwood

Here's a photo of the cruck frame we raised on Friday; the first one we've done with curved cruck braces besides the already curved cruck blades and tie beams. We hope to do another next year at Heartwood.
Two of the cruck blades had their curve ripped with a chain saw jig (the others were hewn), and the offcuts were wide enough to get curved braces for the walls, too. It was nice to be able to use what would otherwise be waste.
This frame will be a porte cochère with the sills raised on 3' stone walls.

Brad_bb

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 08, 2017, 03:55:56 PM
Hewing rafters for a barn repair.

Dave, I see all your chop marks are in the same direction.  Can you explain what happened before this and what happens next?  I'm trying to understand the hewing on some old barn timbers where there are chop marks all in the same direction. Actually I think they are probably over-chop marks, meaning they went past the snap line before taking the broad axe to it.  Did you do a rough hewing first to remove most of the material, and then come back and chop (score) for a final hewing with the broad axe?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

I started helping my customer cut some joints in his timbers for his 20' wide by 57' long boat barn, yesterday.
He was there and I didn't get much chance to take any pictures.
I was working on post 3A doing layout and cutting mortises. He bought a new chain mortiser just to cut this frame. Was nice to use a brand new tool, again.
I used my tenon checker to size the bottom stub tenon and my "New AL" layout tool from Timber Frame Head Quarters, for the layout.
I will get more pictures next week when I'm back there.
Here is a shot of the frame drawing:

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Today, I was back onsite cutting joints in a 10"x10" x 15' post.
Here is my work area:

It's a nice shady area after lunchtime. Nice crane to move the timbers.
Here is a shot of a tool he gave me to roll them over:

It is some type of log jack that is suppose to lift logs up so you don't cut into the ground, but he took it apart and made it into a timber rolling tool. Works great and doesn't leave marks on the timbers. I guess he wasn't happy about me using my mill favorite on his timbers.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Today, I cut a stub tenon on the bottom of a post using a chain mortiser.

Before I did that I cut the top of the post with two reductions as the plate and the tie beam meet over the post. (Customer's design not mine).
So the post needed this:

First time I ever cut one like this.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Been cutting joints all week long.
This is the weapons the customer is providing for me to use:

What I like about using the older style Borneman layout template is that the slots are right for checking housings on timbers.
This 10x10 is being reduced at the joint to 9 1/2"  The Big AL template shows me that the surface is just right:

Today I was working on a 8x14x20' tie beam. I had to reduce the timber to 1/2" under so 13 1/2". Neither the old Big AL or the new TFHQ template goes that large.
So, I had to figure a way to get a 13 1/2" shoulder line that I could draw and knife.
I nested the framing square tongue onto the TFHQ template at 12" and got a nice 13 1/2" offset line.

Works for me.

Jim Rogers

flyingparks

Nice trick, Jim. I need to get one! For what application do you use the sawzall?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: flyingparks on August 03, 2018, 11:15:38 PM
Nice trick, Jim. I need to get one! For what application do you use the sawzall?
I don't he seems to think I need it but I'd rather use a hand saw.
Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

What am I working on? Firewood, mostly.  :D Anyone working on timbers?

flyingparks

Jim_Rogers

I just finished a barn design plan for a fellow in RI.
It's 36' x 48' and had a 12' lean-to on the north side.
The south side will have solar panels on the roof.

Jim Rogers

flyingparks

Looks very cool Jim. A lotta timber. Funny, I was recently driving and wondering how to incorporate a ship's prow into a timber frame.

rjwoelk

Great looking frames.
3 months and I start working on mine. 17x36 for the tractor firewood processor, with a office storage room.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Dave Shepard

Stair opening through floor mockup.

CJ

Well my build (14'X18' bunkie) is my very first and it has been a real learning experience. Started the timber work in mid February in my garage with the timbers that would fit, and the longer pieces had to wait for the warmer weather in the Spring so that I could work on them with the garage door open.
All in all, I am pretty satisfied with the results and had only one dutchman's patch to fix. Other than that, fit was perfect. Test fit in my driveway by myself because nobody around to lend a hand. 
I'm currently trying to enclose it before the inclement weather starts for the Fall and eventually into Winter. Lots of work when you're doing it all alone. Oh well...

thecfarm

Working alone is slow. Looking good!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scouter Joe

Hope you have good luck with the roof this week Chris . Weather looks like it should cooperate . scouter Joe

Dave Shepard

Schnitzelbank, give or take some legs.

Andries

That's a very heavy duty looking schnitzel bank, right down to the. . .  is that a horseshoe down at the footrest?
Clydesdale in the family,  Dave?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!