iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Jonsered help please?

Started by Grizzly, September 15, 2015, 08:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real1shepherd

Never had a chain brake on a saw and bought 2100's from Bailey's into the 80's.

I just bought a 621 to replace my 80 for my fencing business. I've got so many extra 80/90parts now, it just seemed like the right way to go. My first 'little' saw...hooray!

Nice score nite, on the 621....looks like you got everything with it the PO did! Yeah the plastic spark cover was the first thing to disappear....some snapped in place, some had a single screw. Then the hand guard plastic would snap or crack. We just took all that off and saved ourselves the aggravation. My first 80 didn't have any of that and I didn't think or care to ask for it. Collecting chainsaws was just a gleam in someone's eye back then...lol

Kevin

beenthere

Real1
QuoteNever had a chain brake on a saw

Sorry, just gotta ask... Never had a chain brake on a saw, or never had a chain break on a saw ?? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawTroll

Quote from: Grizzly on September 15, 2015, 08:17:24 PM

Small saw serial #

So any questions you have or any info you can give me would be appreciated. I will google too see what I can find but often this forum produces better results.

Lyle

The serial number on that 621 suggests it was made in the late 1970s, but some details suggest that some parts have been replaced by parts from older saws and/or other models (the rear and front handles).
Information collector.

Spike60

Yeah, when dealing with older saws we should never assume that everything on the saw was there from the factory. Many saws aquire parts from similar models over the years when they need to be repaired.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Quote from: beenthere on September 19, 2015, 02:25:46 AM
Real1
QuoteNever had a chain brake on a saw

Sorry, just gotta ask... Never had a chain brake on a saw, or never had a chain break on a saw ??

Never had a chain brake on a saw. Mostly professional applications. That dates me I guess....although you still had the choice back then on professional saws.

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Spike60 on September 19, 2015, 05:17:47 PM
Yeah, when dealing with older saws we should never assume that everything on the saw was there from the factory. Many saws aquire parts from similar models over the years when they need to be repaired.

Absolutely....probably more in chainsaws than a lot of other things. Without a bill of sale, you'll never know and even then, not necessarily. Like the aforementioned 621 could have come without a chain brake, then the clutch cover cracked and the replacement had a chain brake etc. We were also discussing on another site about the silver insert on the older J'reds' clutch covers. In the promo ads you see both solid red and sometimes with the silver inserts. I think the only thing we agreed on was that if you got a factory replacement clutch cover for a silver top, it was most likely all red.

And you can't always count on J'reds promotional literature to be accurate as to what was sold in NA at the time. Once in a great while, they even had the wrong saw in a pic! Trying to sell the 920 with a pic of a 910 in the background working etc.

Kevin

nitehawk55

A lot of things get changed on saws like 038's and 028's , you never know which model they are if the plastics been changed , you have to measure to be sure .

Changed my avatar to show the clutch side of the 621 but not very clear . Saw has seen light use and as you can see it doesn't have the silver insert nor has it ever had one .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

Real1shepherd

I think in the early model production runs of the silver tops, they had the silver insert on the clutch cover. I have 80's that have both;silver and solid red. But as was stated, they weren't one owner saws and anything could have happened with regard to replacing parts. Although it's more unlikely that a silver insert clutch cover was put on a saw that was originally all red. More likely the inverse. This might have been a yr thing too...after the buy-out, maybe Electrolux Group AB put the kibosh on silver insert clutch covers after '78/'79 say.....I dunno. J'red definitely had a bean counter thing going on in the early 80's, perhaps they omitted the extra step of the silver inserts forever.

Kevin

HolmenTree

Silver inserts on the sprocket cover was on the earliest Jonsereds in 1972, still silver in 76.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Real1shepherd

You can't always go by J'red promo lit....sometimes the saws that actually arrived in NA that model yr had minor revisions. But agreed, the early ones I've seen all had the silver inserts. The buy-out happened around '77/'78 and things are cloudy during that time period and after, to say the least.

Kevin

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 20, 2015, 12:13:27 PM
Silver inserts on the sprocket cover was on the earliest Jonsereds in 1972, still silver in 76.

It started well before that - but I don't know exactly when they changed to solid red.
Information collector.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: SawTroll on September 20, 2015, 01:07:10 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on September 20, 2015, 12:13:27 PM

It started well before that - but I don't know exactly when they changed to solid red.

From what I can tell around '77/'78 and maybe even before that if you bought a replacement clutch cover from a J'red dealer. We may never know...I heard a lot of original records were lost in a fire at J'red and/or just lost during the buy-out.

Kevin

SawTroll

Around that time would be my guess as well - but it may have differed between models.
Information collector.

nitehawk55

Since you 621 experts are on here one thing that struck me when I got mine was the bumper spike and bolts were in a bag unused . When you bought these saws did you have to install it yourself ?
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

HolmenTree

Quote from: nitehawk55 on September 20, 2015, 05:10:05 PM
Since you 621 experts are on here one thing that struck me when I got mine was the bumper spike and bolts were in a bag unused . When you bought these saws did you have to install it yourself ?
Yes good memories,  back 40 years ago it was like Christmas morning opening your Jonsereds 621 box. What I remember the saws came outfitted with a smooth contour bumper pad for pulp cutting.  The optimal  bumper spike dog was included.

Here's a pic of my 1979 70E , take a look at it's sprocket cover. ;D

HolmenTree

Here's one from 1971. I'll keep looking for older ones. ;D

snowshoveler

Have you ever noticed that Husqvarna sort of absorbed a lot of its technology and ideas.
Partner, Pioneer and Jonsereds must have had some pretty good engineers back in the day.
You can see the influence on saws to this day.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Real1shepherd

Quote from: snowshoveler on September 21, 2015, 07:42:53 PM
Have you ever noticed that Husqvarna sort of absorbed a lot of its technology and ideas.
Partner, Pioneer and Jonsereds must have had some pretty good engineers back in the day.
You can see the influence on saws to this day.
Regards Chris

More like Electrolux Group AB absorbed, J'red, Partner, Husky and I think Pioneer as well. Just corporate numbnuts trying to keep separate but equal saws like J'red and Husky alive for marketing. It's not like the healthy competition of lore when the companies were competing against each other.

The older J'reds are amazing saws.....just nothing like an old silver top that refuses to die, even after all these yrs. I've been inside my original 80 two times in the last 35+ yrs to adjust the points. Yeah, some *DanG good engineering durability there back in the day. J'red was getting kinda funky right before the buy-out though. The handle design of the 910 was straight from Hades. You just have to see one, to believe it. What is interesting though, is that there were some prototype 910E's made that were 100 cc. And rumor has it that most of those prototypes are still going today over in Sweden.  Man, I'd love me one of those! Any further development was killed by Electrolux on that big, bad boy. They just repainted a Partner saw that was 100cc and called it Jonsered.

Kevin

snowshoveler

A buddy of mine gave me a Jonsereds 90 a couple years ago.
Runs and cuts like a weapon but needs a little love.
Its surprising how well its made and how smooth it is.
A little better muffler and a rewind pulley and it will be mint.
No hurry but its a keeper for me.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

nitehawk55

The 621 (and others) had a long run . To me it has the feel of a much modern saw .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

HolmenTree

They even have inboard clutches , but no easy access C-clip though , just a big nut :)

SawTroll

Quote from: nitehawk55 on September 23, 2015, 10:32:43 PM
The 621 (and others) had a long run . To me it has the feel of a much modern saw .

They were well ahead of the competition in 1970 and right after, but the saws were expensive to make, so they ran into severe problems at the end of that decade.
Information collector.

Spike60

Quote from: nitehawk55 on September 23, 2015, 10:32:43 PM

Agree 100%. I keep a 70E and a 49SP in the work rotation an frequently run them along side the newer saws. They really don't feel dated to me as most other saws from that era do. Like Niko said, well ahead of their time.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Quote from: snowshoveler on September 23, 2015, 08:05:03 PM
A buddy of mine gave me a Jonsereds 90 a couple years ago.
Runs and cuts like a weapon but needs a little love.
Its surprising how well its made and how smooth it is.
A little better muffler and a rewind pulley and it will be mint.
No hurry but its a keeper for me.
Regards Chris

Keep it and feed it the correct parts, it will never disappoint you. I have an eBay 'parts saw' 90 that turned out to be low hrs and the best running J'red I have. Well, my original 80(owned for 35+ yrs) approaches it on a good day, but that beast was always a bit touched....lol

Kevin

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 23, 2015, 11:07:41 PM
They even have inboard clutches , but no easy access C-clip though , just a big nut :)
That was their worst design feature, as I see it! Piston stop or impact wrench is needed, just to change a rim.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!