iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fans on wood?

Started by xlogger, September 30, 2015, 06:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

We have been having several days of rain and high humidity with several more in front of us coming. I put some air dry walnut (in the low 20's) under a shed with my fans blowing trying to get them down somewhat before they go into the solar kiln next. Don't seem to be doing anything now for a week, will the fans help under this condition?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If the relative humidity is 90% RH, you can dry the wood surface to about 20% MC, but no drier...fans or no fans.  At 80% RH, 16% MC.  So, we generally consider fans in air drying effective when the RH is under about 87% RH for wet wood and under 80% RH for drier wood.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

I am running a fan on maple and yellow poplar right now.  Was cut 2-3 weeks ago and stickered.  I run the fan 24/7 to keep the air moving through the layers to minimize sticker stain and gray stain.  Walnut is pretty bullet proof when it comes to staining. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

malignity

I throw fans and a dehumidifier on my less than ideal firewood in the winter and it works. Some people don't believe me, and the evidence is clear according to my moisture meter and the checking that occurs. It absolutely makes a difference, especially if you aim the fans at the ends.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The AVERAGE humidity outside in most of the USA is 65% RH, summer fall, winter or spring.  The high humidity, rainy days must be offset by drier days in order to get the 65% RH (12% EMC) AVERAGE.

Wood dries because of the humidity, temperature and air flow...all three together.  So, even when the temperature is low, the wood can dry if the RH and air flow are good...just not as fast as in the summertime.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!