The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: looking to hear some splitting tips on splitting 30"dia. plus rounds with my tw5  (Read 4134 times)

Offline AnthonyW

• Wannabe hobby sawyer
    • Share Post
And this is exactly why I want (a) to build a firewood processor, though the current design is only 24" diameter and (b) want to buy an excavator with a thumb. There is just too much wrestling involved with making firewood.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Offline Just Me

• Share Post
I'd like to have one of those screw type cone's that I could put on my skid steers post hole auger. Thinking that if I could bust up in what ever max log legnth that it would split, into quarters or just halves, then buck & split a (1/4) log that's a much more reasonable size than 30".

Very cool idea! I used one of those once and they work really well.

Laura, I need a skid steer!

Larry

Offline Just Me

• Share Post
My trailered splitter has a crane. I do my bucking on slightly sloped ground. Roll rounds on edge next to splitter, use crane and tongs to pick them up. Does 30" diameter easy as pie. 5.5" bore cylinder and a very tall wedge. Split off a reasonable size piece and leave the rest hanging on the tongs (swing it out of the way while working down the piece you first split off). I prefer doing 20-30" rounds over tops wood because I don't bend over this way picking little pieces off the ground which saves time in addition to the ergonomic aspect. Less bark and typically straighter wood. I keep busy running the valve instead of turning bending lifting etc. Tops under 8" diameter I don't split anymore those go in my boiler. Logs get made into firewood that I sell. Produces better looking splits and again less bark. Customers like this. All personal preference I guess. Gotta have the right equipment for sure. Hard to see in this pic but it has an outfeed tray and log tray on the other side that are good places to set a chunk or splits instead of them falling to the ground.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

I looked at all the trays on the market as add ons and did not like any of them so I built one as you describe. I made mine out of 1/4" aluminum diamond plate. It slopes up from the splitting surface for 6"on about a 7-10 degree angle, then I bent the piece to drop off the other way at about the same angle for about 16". It is long enough to cover the motor on my Dirty Hands splitter, and out far enough that I can park the bucket of the tractor under the downward sloping part. Gives me enough room to split a big one in half and store the half on the table till I finish the other, and then just slid it back into the splitter. Pieces can be slid off into the bucket.

Eliminates a lot of lifting, and here is the best part. It makes it so easy to handle the wood that my wife likes to split now!

Win-Win!

Larry

Offline bigblue12v

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
My trailered splitter has a crane. I do my bucking on slightly sloped ground. Roll rounds on edge next to splitter, use crane and tongs to pick them up. Does 30" diameter easy as pie. 5.5" bore cylinder and a very tall wedge. Split off a reasonable size piece and leave the rest hanging on the tongs (swing it out of the way while working down the piece you first split off). I prefer doing 20-30" rounds over tops wood because I don't bend over this way picking little pieces off the ground which saves time in addition to the ergonomic aspect. Less bark and typically straighter wood. I keep busy running the valve instead of turning bending lifting etc. Tops under 8" diameter I don't split anymore those go in my boiler. Logs get made into firewood that I sell. Produces better looking splits and again less bark. Customers like this. All personal preference I guess. Gotta have the right equipment for sure. Hard to see in this pic but it has an outfeed tray and log tray on the other side that are good places to set a chunk or splits instead of them falling to the ground.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

I looked at all the trays on the market as add ons and did not like any of them so I built one as you describe. I made mine out of 1/4" aluminum diamond plate. It slopes up from the splitting surface for 6"on about a 7-10 degree angle, then I bent the piece to drop off the other way at about the same angle for about 16". It is long enough to cover the motor on my Dirty Hands splitter, and out far enough that I can park the bucket of the tractor under the downward sloping part. Gives me enough room to split a big one in half and store the half on the table till I finish the other, and then just slid it back into the splitter. Pieces can be slid off into the bucket.

Eliminates a lot of lifting, and here is the best part. It makes it so easy to handle the wood that my wife likes to split now!

Win-Win!

Larry

You're doing something right then! Lol
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
center rounds in splitting chamber

Started by h2ofwlr on Firewood and Wood Heating

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2018, 09:09:51 AM
by mike_belben
xx
Walnut check cracking/splitting prevention ?! Tips ?

Started by RunningRoot on Forestry and Logging

23 Replies
Last post June 01, 2018, 10:52:50 AM
by John Mc
xx
Splitting Maul and Splitting Axes

Started by 333_okh on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post January 22, 2007, 04:02:25 PM
by 333_okh
xx
4" vs 4.5" Hydraulic Splitting Cylinder