The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: 20’ Open side container kiln  (Read 9038 times)

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
Re: 20’ Open side container kiln
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2018, 05:49:50 AM »
Looking at doing the same thing, only mine is a front load conex. How hot does it have to dry the wood?

Geeg, what type of fans did you use? Did you seal up the factory vent holes, or cut them out to put in your bigger vents? I had started on a wood frame structure to use as a solar kiln, but i didnt measure twice before cutting and my loading opening is a bit to narrow to get some of my slabs in, so i scratched that idea and bout 2 20’ containers, 1 as a kiln, the other as my work shop.

Some of yaw mentioned enclosing the container. To what extent are yaw reffering to, as enclosing it? A box around a box? Would a roof above it, walled in behind it and an awning off to 1 side be sufficient?

I set the containers up close to my power pole, then sepperated them 16’ apart, to give me some kind of a work space for metal fabbing projects. I am going to put a roof over both containers, about 10-12” from the container roof, with a 1” in 8’ drop for water shedding. I will evetually wall the back side in and add a 20’ awning off the kiln container side. Since that will require welding, i think it would be best to get the roof on, then measure for the awning and go ahead and weld the steel to the container before putting up insulation.
The kiln can get as high as about 150F so to dry the temp does not go above 120-125 and then when the load is complete, we bump it up to 140-150 to kill the bugs and for the equalization process.
The fans are factory fans, The factory vent holes were covered up by the insulation that was glued to the walls.
Good luck with your build.
Geeg
Airbus 380 Captain, living in the Middle East, counting down the days till retirement. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »
Get a big enough truss over the containers to give you the awning without having to do anymore framing. Then you do not need a column line or header if you want to have your mill under the awning.

The truss will have to be deigned for that kind of loading.

Online charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Get a big enough truss over the containers to give you the awning without having to do anymore framing. Then you do not need a column line or header if you want to have your mill under the awning.

The truss will have to be deigned for that kind of loading.
Already bought the 2 i beams, 4” sq tubing for legs between conex and i beams, 8” perlin and the R panel. I was thinking about putting the mill under it, but with it being 5’ from the house, and my log bed will extend into our driveway. Plus i wanna place to park my tck and the wife wants to be able get her jeep under cover. Eventually im gonna rebuild the porch and make a covered walkway from awning to porch so unload groceries in the rain, wont be an olympic swimming event. At most from my intended place for my mill, it’ll only be at most 75’ from mill to kiln. Saw half a tree, take it over to kiln on tractor, mill the other half, stack it on top of first half and roll the wood into the kiln. Its simple in my head, but in reality, doing it all by myself, will make a bit more challenging. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kiln cart and shipping container kiln.

Started by Mike_M on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2007, 08:57:21 PM
by Furby
xx
Shipping Container Kiln

Started by Water Dogs on Drying and Processing

13 Replies
Last post November 06, 2019, 11:22:47 AM
by K-Guy