The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Using Setworks to make a cut??  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
Re: Using Setworks to make a cut??
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2002, 05:04:51 AM »
A Wood-Mizer owner just south of me mounted what looked like a high water marker on the backend of his mill.  It was a 1x6 that sticking up some 24-30" above the bed that he had painted white and added marks and dimensions on it like a big ruler so it could be read from the operator end of the mill.  He could then sight down the blade to the appropriate height mark on his water depth gage and could then judge the opening cut or log level, etc.

I was thinking of something similar:  Maybe get a magnet like one used to pick up bolts lost in the dirt or grass and mount a section of plastic pipe or fiberglass rod to it.  The "staff" could be painted (or black electrical tape) alternately with black stripe say 2" wide.  You could stick the thing on the back end of the mill rail like a temporary antenna.  Probably marks every 2" would be close enough for government work and far enough apart you wouldn't get the wrong one. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2002, 07:24:02 AM »
   How much vibration do you get on that puppy? You might be better off to make a mount that has a temporary 'thru bolt' that holds it from jiggling or slipping. you could still take it off easy. Be a shame to have your reference mark slip. I've been burned by that on a lot of different applications. (Mike hired one guy to make him a cement floor in the garage. The guy used the ceiling as his reference for setting the grade stakes. funny about that low spot in the back..)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2002, 08:03:21 AM »
While I haven't developed this idea to the working model stage (and probably won't),  I'd think setting the magnet base on top of the main rail should solve any problem with it slipping down.  The magnet would have to be strong enough to keep it from sliding sideways enough so it didn't fall off from vibration or a casual bump.  That's why a fiberglass pole would be better than something that may permanently bend or brake.

Another alternative would be to develop a clamp that would slide up the guide rail and be held in place by some big thumbscrew.  

With either the clamp or magnetic base,  one could move the gage forward for short logs, if'n you'd want to. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline psychotic1

• Full Member x2
  • Earth First   We'll log the other planets later
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2002, 07:02:56 PM »
you could probably use an old defunct cb antennae.  Seems to me they used to make some of the shorter ones out of fiberglass (or at least an outside covering of it).  Then a little paint with a two inch brush and  Vi-ola.  Bob's your uncle.

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Offline JoeyLowe

• "In the German Tradition"
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2002, 07:14:34 PM »
 :D :D :D My thoughts exactly.  I have an old fiberglass whip antenna from my younger CB radio days.  I thought about putting an orange tennis ball on the tip of it so i could see the end of the mill whenever I was backing into my driveway.  Maybe I could stripe it as well and use it as high water marker.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Head cold. Make it stop...make it go away!! Man, I turn into a baby...

Started by maestro on Health and Safety

4 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 03:56:29 PM
by Riles
xx
Need Setworks.

Started by BBK on Wanted

0 Replies
Last post May 25, 2006, 05:54:30 AM
by BBK
xx
Setworks