iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Logs for wwsjr (Willie)

Started by Magicman, October 22, 2015, 10:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Quote from: customsawyer on October 24, 2015, 06:19:28 PM
There is no way I can do it in the middle of the week. It is only 8000bf or so and should not take that long. I am thinking maybe 2 days with 2 mills less if there is 3 mills. One weekend or the other will work for me. On my scheduled I could leave here on a Thursday afternoon and be there by Friday morning. We saw on Friday and Saturday and be done. I could then be back to give my employees a full week. I wish I could be there for a whole week but have responsibilities to my employees and their families.

This would work for me as well.  I can't afford to spend a whole week, but I doubt we'd need it with enough willing labor.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

We knew and understood when this was proposed that there would be a conflict with some schedules.  We will try to knock this out during the week, but if we need reinforcements, it's good to know that they will be there.

Of course we do not know what the weather situation will be.  We might not be able to start until the middle of the week, so time will tell as we draw nearer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Is an edger available?  Or is anybody close enough to bring one?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Willie has a Wood-Mizer/Cat two blade edger on site.  Here is Willie feeding the Edger when we sawed for Austin Black.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

mm  what will be there far as log handling equipment ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

A tractor with FEL forks.  All of the lumber will be stickered and strapped for transporting.

Willie plans to have someone stage about a dozen logs at his sawmill before we get there. 

Magicman

wwsjr

I have access to two or three tractors with forks and maybe a Bobcat with tracks and forks for material handling.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

sandsawmill14

willie sounds like you've got it covered smiley_thumbsup looking forward to meeting yall  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

RALFF

Willie it sounds like you have enough mills coming but if you need some help with moving logs with the tractor or offbearing and stacking I will come and do as much as a 70yo fat man can do. I'm in Fayette County Alabama so it would only be about a 2 hr trip for me.

Magicman

We will watch the weather and adjust the starting date of Nov. 9th if need be.  Starting early in the week will give us an opportunity to complete this project and we will still have the available sawing reinforcements for Friday and Saturday if necessary.  This gives us a cushion to assure that all of Willie's customer's logs get sawn.

Anyone that has that date open and wants to come, drop me a PM and I will supply you with Willie's GPS address and my cell#.

Magicman

My LT40SH has the old Setworks.  Even though I will take it, I plan to run Willie's LT40SH which is equipped with Accuset2.  I had Marty Parsons to send me an Accuset2 PDF file so that I could do some studying.  :P Hopefully I will not crash and burn.  :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've never used it either Magic. You will do fine.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

I'm sure Willie will be a fine coach.   ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Although unsolicited, several FF members have sent contributions which will mostly be used for our refreshments, etc while sawing next week.

The weather forecast shows a chance of rain, but more chance of not, so we will be full speed ahead.   :)

If you see that you can come, even for one day, send me a PM and I will give you Willie's GPS address.

sealark37

Where else could a guy with sawdust in his pockets find friends like this?   You boys be careful.  Regards, Clark

Magicman

I had a long talk with Willie this afternoon.  Everything is in place for us to have a successful week sawing the logs.  We will have some setup and log arranging time Monday, but I know that we will sort things out and get-r-done. 

It is not too late if anyone else wants to be a part of this.

Magicman

As a courtesy, Wood-Mizer sent me a box of 7/39 X .55 Turbo Blades to use and evaluate.  I thank them for wanting to be a part of this Goodwill Project.

I have traveled many times, but loading and getting ready is always challenging, but fun.  I am 260 miles from Willie, and we have two FF members that will be traveling over 500 miles to be a part of this worthy labor of love. 

Kbeitz

So many good people in this world... Wishing I was part of the trip....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandhills

Me too, everyone have a safe trip.  I know it will be enjoyable and I'd love to be there, amazing how far "neighbors" can reach out when the need calls for it.

Magicman

Our Forestry Forum Family is giving, loving, and strong.   8)

ely

I am very proud to call folks here family.

slider

Lynn pm me your cell number I may try to work things out for monday through Wednesday.Working all weekend but i will contact you before sunday. 
al glenn

Magicman

Banjo picker

Lynn, it looks like I can come down and help on Friday if you are not done before that.  I have been to Willies before, but I couldn't find it again with out help.  Send me the directions so I can use my Garmin to get there if needed.  PM me you cell also if you don't mind.  Banjo..... Tim Scruggs
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!