The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: sticky solenoid  (Read 1545 times)

Offline nektreeworks

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
sticky solenoid
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
hello all. When I got to my forestry class this morning the teacher was out and had left a paper full of instructions for a job he wanted me to do. the job at hand was to figure out a problem that we have with our LT-40 woodmizer. It has a sticky solenoid that only seems to work when we give the hydraulic control box a firm kick :D. I was wondering if any of you could give me some help considering I can't seem to find much online.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: sticky solenoid
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »
Sticky to me means that it stays operated, but your kick indicates that it does not operate without a kick.  If it is the actual solenoid, replace it, but chances are that it is the microswitch which may need adjusting.  Of course that will also fail and need replacing.

You need to do some simple troubleshooting with a voltmeter to determine which it is.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:41:52 AM »
sound like a bad ground to me. the kick is needed to make the ground contact.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »
Well that is a good possibility.  The ground is just as important as the hot.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 02:27:36 PM »
I gave my buddy with a WM a dead blow hammer.  Told him it works much better than his foot. :D :D

Sorry...couldn't help myself. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline UpInATree

• Share Post
    • TreeSawyer.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
Does the problem with your hydraulics happen on every control or only on one or two of them?  If so, you can slightly move one lever and get the "sticky" one to operate.  If this works, you need to adjust (or replace if bad) the microswitches as was mentioned above.  Simple to do with an allen key.  If you open the hydraulics box, you can see how the levers move the microswitches.  Usually just a very small adjustment.
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

Offline JB Griffin

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:41:04 PM »
I'm leanin towards bad motor brushes, mine got to where it wouldn't work unless you beat on the motor. my motor was to far gone for brushes had to buy a new one $350. :'(
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota, 160 Prentice, Frick 2 saw gang edger, Wright W-37 ABG, Suffolk dual tooth setter, Cat claw single tooth setter,'96 F-250 7.3 PSD 4x4, CS-590 Echo, MF 20c, M681 Memo.

Over 2.5 million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator and counting.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:14:12 PM »
I'm going to say it sounds like a witch hunt,, which would be better found calling the techs,  I like trouble shooting as much as the next guy, this sounds all too familiar to someone that wants answers without any effort on his part,  I suppose I have an attitude on this one.  If its a real issue, than why wait for a pile of possibles than get it fixed?  Trees are trees and mechanical/electrical is just that.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »
Which is why I said;
You need to do some simple troubleshooting with a voltmeter to determine which it is.

Offline nektreeworks

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:17:48 AM »
I'm going to say it sounds like a witch hunt,, which would be better found calling the techs,  I like trouble shooting as much as the next guy, this sounds all too familiar to someone that wants answers without any effort on his part,  I suppose I have an attitude on this one.  If its a real issue, than why wait for a pile of possibles than get it fixed?  Trees are trees and mechanical/electrical is just that.
The issue with going to look at it and see what is up is that we did not have our teacher in the classroom. We instead had a sub and we are not allowed ( for liability reasons) to run equipment or leave the classroom if the teacher is not there. Being that the sawmill is about 3/4 of a mile away it was out of the question to go look at it. Today the teacher is back in and I'll let you know what the outcome is!

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 08:24:26 AM »
Are you allowed to make a call? Call and talk to member Sparks at Wood-Mizer.  Ask for Rick Lauman He is the electrical guru for wood-mizer
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sticky winch

Started by loggerman1959 on Forestry and Logging

11 Replies
Last post August 01, 2018, 11:24:58 AM
by coxy
xx
Use of sticky posts

Started by bee_pipes on General Board

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2006, 04:55:20 PM
by WeeksvilleWoodWorx