iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

round table cut on my table saw

Started by yukon cornelius, November 29, 2015, 11:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I started a new project I have never done before, a 42 inch round dining table. I built a circle jig for my router I thought I would use but its a bit loose at the pivot not to mention I don't own a bit to do 2 inch thick top. I decided to use my table saw. I started with a 44 by 50 ish glue up. drilled a 1/8 inch hole very shallow in the bottom side of the table top. layed out the circle with a pencil and a board half the diameter, shaved it close with a skilsaw. then I drilled a hole on the workbench and screwed a screw from the bottom until sticking through 1/4 inch. I set the table top hole on the screw and scooted the saw close started sawing off the rough edged. one more move to the final dimensions and sawed the final cut. it came out really clean.

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Den-Den

That is a good way to make a clean circle; nice job.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

kettlekorn

I don't believe I would have ever thought of that method.  I constantly learn something new from you experts.  Great job.  Looks like a pretty good circle cut.
EZ Boardwalk Jr , Kubota L3800,  250 acre farm

lowpolyjoe

Nice.  I saw a similar approach on a video a while back - seems like a great method.  I used a router a while back to cut a circle in a laminated platform and it was a pain.  I cut from both sides since it was so thick and the result was a slightly misaligned cut that needed a lot of cleanup.   I'll definitely be keeping this in mind for future projects :)

sawguy21

Brilliant 8) Is your bench exactly the same height as the saw table?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

yukon cornelius

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 30, 2015, 12:03:17 PM

yes within fractions of an inch. it was purposefully built that way. I used a plywood top for just such occasions. it becomes the sacrifice rather than drilling a really nice workbench top. I don't mind drilling through it or screwing to it or other bad habits. I will add to this that you have to shave it down pretty close, more than a 1/4 inch and it didn't want to shave off even. I started back from the line and worked to the line. 3 revolutions and it was done though.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: yukon cornelius on November 30, 2015, 01:51:02 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on November 30, 2015, 12:03:17 PM

yes within fractions of an inch. it was purposefully built that way. I used a plywood top for just such occasions. it becomes the sacrifice rather than drilling a really nice workbench top. I don't mind drilling through it or screwing to it or other bad habits.

Those aren't bad habits, that's what a workbench is for! Nice work on the jig :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Delawhere Jack

Made thousands of plywood circles in my youth in a similar manner, but we used a bandsaw. We'd cut blanks 1 inch oversized in each dimension, then start the cut into the center of one edge. Had a pointed nail protruding through an auxiliary, clamped on wooden table. Start the cut, then smack the blank down onto the nail with your fist, and cut the circle. They were for a chemical company that used them to seal flanges on large pipes during maintenance.

yukon cornelius

table saw table and chairs is done

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hilltop366

Looks great!

You can make circles with a table saw without trimming it close by starting with the blade low and raising it a bit after each turn, I suspect it would take a while doing this with thick material like you have but perhaps a combination of both methods would work.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

yukon cornelius

Hilltop, my tablesaw is such a bear to rsise and lower. its always bound up. A ryobi design flaw and on the hope to replace soon list.

Poston, its cedar. Its always cedar here.

Thanks Jeff.

Now I need to make a steam chamber so I can live edge wrap one  8)

LeeB

You are very right about the ryobi having blade adjustment flaws. I constantly had troubles with mine. I got pretty good at taking it apart to clean the races. The trunion was another sore spot. I still have mine but sure am glad I bought something else.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

drobertson

pretty table, love the design, nice work larry,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

samandothers

Great Job Yukon love the set!

Liked the change to your avatar/ picture.   Great automation by Jeff!

Magicman

Yukon, you are becoming quite a craftsman.  I love your adventurous attitude.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kettlekorn

Very nice looking table and chairs.  Looks like it would be a great poker table.
EZ Boardwalk Jr , Kubota L3800,  250 acre farm

Thank You Sponsors!