iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pics of my one-man operation

Started by Verticaltrx, December 06, 2015, 10:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verticaltrx

Quote from: Rigg on December 27, 2015, 09:54:25 AM
That looks great!  Wish I had one like that.  Question though. 

Will the boards shrink much and if so do you come back with battens?

The boards will shrink upwards of a 1/2" per 12" of width if memory serves. So the gaps will open up to 1/4"-1/2" wide but that is ok. On a shed like this a little air flow is good, it keeps the roof from sweating.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

lshobie

Very nice building!  Your main vertical posts look like PT, how far in the ground are they and did you pour cement around them or are they just in the ground?  Did you have plans for this building or just build it?

Cheers.
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Verticaltrx

Quote from: lshobie on December 27, 2015, 11:11:38 PM
Very nice building!  Your main vertical posts look like PT, how far in the ground are they and did you pour cement around them or are they just in the ground?  Did you have plans for this building or just build it?

Cheers.

The posts are treated 6x6's. I drill 18" diameter holes to about 42" deep and pour 4-5" of concrete in the bottom of each hole for the posts to sit on. I then backfill/tamp the posts in with either dirt or gravel depending on the situation. The building is braced very well so the posts do not need to provide any lateral support, only load bearing. I don't have any plans, just a design I came up with that I scale up or down depending on the use. I've built them as small as 5'x8' on skids up to this one which is 14'x32'. Larger than that I generally go to a gable roof and use trusses. I hope to be building a 24'x48' shed here on my farm this winter using all milled lumber and homemade trusses. If I have the time and the weather cooperates.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Verticaltrx

I purchased the LT15GO trailer package and decided to take the mill to the trees for a change.  It's nice to have plenty of room around the mill to work and being able to carry the logs straight to the mill. Today's milling, random width barn siding:

Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Bruno of NH

I like my mill on the trailer it's more comfortable to saw wood on.
Nice wack of boards
You do nice work
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Josh3760

Trailer package looks pretty slick. I like the old case 1845c. I love mine! not sure what I would do without mine and the grapple.
Josh

Verticaltrx

Thanks for the replies,

The working height is definitely much improved with the trailer package. So far I'm really liking having it mobile, I'll set it up in a larger flat area at home once I'm done milling here, then back it in the shed when I'm done. Maybe someday I'll get around to building a dedicated sawmill shed, but for now this works.

When I purchased the skid steer I didn't have a mill, but it has turned out to be invaluable both around the mill and in the woods. As long as it doesn't get too muddy I can motor around through the trees and carry out saw logs without them ever having to skid across the ground. Here I've been dropping trees along the edge of the field, cutting the tops off and carrying the whole tree over to the mill. Then I cut it into saw logs right in front of the mill, works pretty good as long as the trees aren't too heavy. An 18" DBH x 40' trunk is about the limit it seems. Any bigger than that and there's a lot of two-wheel teetering going on.  :D

Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Thank You Sponsors!