iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Telescopic boom loader.

Started by customsawyer, December 22, 2015, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

We use telehandlers all the time at work. They are the best forklift around a mill that I've used. Payloaders are great for brute strength, but are really lacking when doing delicate handling of finished product.

This one is a 10054, I think it's a JLG.

This one is a Mustang 1155 that is owned by the company I work for.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Quote from: customsawyer on December 24, 2015, 08:01:35 AM
Here is one of the forks and how they float. They are in the up position now as I have the loader sitting on the ground.

With the forks moving up and down like this and also swinging when you go to dump something I can see it getting aggravating.

To keep the forks from rotating up, maybe weld some steel blocks on the top of the bushings that are there now, as drawn in crudely on your pic.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

It looks like some one hacked the frame so the forks can be lifted 90° to let them pass into the middle of the frame so the forks can be close together.  This block would prevent that.  I have the same problem with my SkyTrac.  I'm thinking that I will make a block to stick in the oval slots above the bar.  Put a big washer on each side and a pin through it so it stays in place.  As far as tipping forks, I wrapped a chain around mine.  Put it in the wrong place one time, amazing how quickly you can sever a 3/8" chain!  Now I have a few shorter chains ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dave Shepard

That's a factory notch. If you didn't have a support there, you would certainly bend the shaft. The tele we used on that raising was just like that. A pain, but not too big a deal unless you need to narrow up to lift a pallet.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 24, 2015, 03:55:01 PM
That's a factory notch. If you didn't have a support there, you would certainly bend the shaft. The tele we used on that raising was just like that. A pain, but not too big a deal unless you need to narrow up to lift a pallet.

Hmm, the notch looks a little rough like someone torch-cut the front off.  On my SkyTrak, I have oval holes on each side AND the two middle bars as well.  AND they still managed to bend the bar!!!  One side rides a little higher than the other.  But then, I managed to bend the ends on both my 5' forks popping "rocks" out of the ground.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Banjo picker

That's one nice machine... :)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

scully

Those floating forks are like that for good reason ,make them solid and you will have big problems .
I bleed orange  .

Dave Shepard

I don't think it will be an issue for log handling.

customsawyer

I could see where they would be handy working on a roof 50' in the air but with logs and lumber I prefer mine mounted solid. I had a back-hoe with forks that hung on the bucket and they swiveled from the bottom like these. I hated it for handling logs and slabs as you always get one towards the back of the forks that you can't get off, as the forks don't dump they just swing. I am going to mount them solid I just have to figure out how. I need to make sure that what ever I do can be undone, in case I ever decided to sell in the future.   
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

It seems to me that the possible floating shown to me would/could cause issues with loads sliding,, I've never ran anything with this configuration, so I really don't know, but for logs and picking up and setting down, loading and the such, can't see the benefit. This said, as others have said, block the oval to stop the float, and I would start with a top side stop with a stout short block.  If it does not work, try another approach.  Or find out why they do it this way. It would be interesting to know the reasons.  All I know is long logs slip enough as is without the forks tilting sideways.  Hillsides are bad enough without help from the forks.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

Dave I don't have much problem with hillsides. ;D

Quote from: jmouton on December 24, 2015, 10:37:15 AM
thats nice

jim
Jim I'm not sure how you meant this statement. If you are trying to say I have a nice machine or "That's nice" as in our other conversations. Maybe a little of both.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jmiller

Maybe drill a hole there above the slide and bolt a plate.   easy to remove
Jason Miller

johnnyllama

I have owned telehandlers and rented many too, mainly for construction work. The main reason for the floatinig forks is these are "all terrain" lifts, meant to be used on uneven ground. If you need to slide into a lumber pile or pallet on a slope, even with a side leveling machine, sometimes this feature makes the difference on getting those forks into the load.
I always used a combination of short chains made to hold the forks tight to the lower carriage and large wedge blocks that slipped into the side slots with a pin to keep them in place. Minutes to remove if you needed to which we often did depending on what we were doing. My machine also had a bucket for dirt and snow (perfect for back dragging stone for final grade), and a 16' straight boom attachment for truss setting. The boom gives you alot more flexibility than just hooking onto the forks.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

jmouton

just giving you a hard time thats all,,,   havent talked in a while ,,, ill have to call you one day when  i slow down a bit ,,,  i just got a ton of pine really long  and ill have to tallk to you about cutting them ,you know,,

long log on a short mill,,,                                             jim

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

fishpharmer

Congrats Jake, handy machines.  Had one custom milling customer with two of those type of machines at my disposal.  Super handy, moved logs with one and stacked lumber with the other.  @bibbyman has or had a couple of tele-handlers maybe he has a solution for the float. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

paul case

Hey Jake,
Bibbyman had the same trouble with his forks being loose on the heel. If I had any idea where to look I would but I don't.

nice machine though. Real Nice.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

mason44

When you tilt the carriage all the way forward/down the bar will slide up in the notches on carriage so you can push the forks together inside of the carriage mounts. Its very handy when you need to pick up narrow pallets

mason44

And the float helps keep you from digging into the ground, if the tips if your forks won't touch the ground you have something mis-matched

Bibbyman

Quote from: paul case on December 27, 2015, 04:45:47 PM
Hey Jake,
Bibbyman had the same trouble with his forks being loose on the heel. If I had any idea where to look I would but I don't.

nice machine though. Real Nice.

PC

That's a long time back.

Yes, swinging forks are useless for handling logs. 

I took the forks to a metal fabricator and asked him to add bars behind the forks to clevis pin them in place.  He talked me into welding a big chunk of metal on front like some here suggested.  I didn't think it would work and it didn't.   Took them home and mounted them and set the points on the ground and lifted the machine front off the ground.   The bars bent.  Loaded up the forks and took them back and went back to plan A.   

Bars 1" thick by 4" wide bent.  Weld is where they were.

The clevis pin can be pulled and forks moved to some other locations - but not anywhere.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Satamax

In europe, we have thoses type of forks too. I always thought they were like that, so they could be put backwards over the apron (is that the right word for you? ) when going on the road. It's forbiden to ride your telehandler on the road with the forks pointing forward over here. I like Bibbyman's solution.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

4x4American

I like Bibby's solution by far.  Leave it to Ole Bibby to have the best idear IMO on the forks
Boy, back in my day..

customsawyer

I have much thinking to do on this one. Bibby I am worried about welding at the 90° bend of the forks seems to be one of the worst places to weld. Yet it looks like it has worked fine for Bibby.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kbeitz

Would you need to weld ? You could have a bracket made that would slip over
the forks just like that with out welding. It's hard to see in that picture if
it's welded on.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

customsawyer

Anything that you slip onto the forks is going to effect the way the back of them contact a pack of lumber.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: customsawyer on December 31, 2015, 04:09:53 AM
I have much thinking to do on this one. Bibby I am worried about welding at the 90° bend of the forks seems to be one of the worst places to weld. Yet it looks like it has worked fine for Bibby.

This  machine weighs in at some 14,000. Rated at 6500 lift.  Forks are 2x5x42?   I've put the machine to hard use and maybe some abuse and the forks have held up fine.   But it's a gamble.  Maybe you can weld the clevis plates on somewhere besides the corner? 

I actually wanted and instructed the welder to put the plates on higher.  The fork hanging system has about 2" of float.  I wanted the forks at the lowest float point and that's what I went over with the welder.  But he welded them on where the forks are at the highest point.

I wanted the forks at the lowest point so there would be more clearance between bottom of fork and fork frame.  As it is, you pick up a pallet of lumber with blocking that falls between the forks and sticks out past the bundle,   the fork frame hits and pushes the blocking.  I cursed this welder a number of times.

This welder had all the right equipment and had the skill to do a good job but he screwed every project I took to him.  He went out of business and took a job welding at a factory.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!