iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Harbor Freight Predator install?

Started by KirkD, January 12, 2016, 09:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Been trying to find how to set the valves on the predator 22 and can't find anything. It has about 30 hours on it and there tapping pretty good. I change the oil but it didn't help much. Anyone have any idea.
EZ

KirkD

Intake should be .005 to .007", exhaust .007 to .009" They should be set on a cold engine at top dead center on a compression stroke.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

EZ

Is there some marks on the flywheel for tdc.

KirkD

I have not set mine yet but it is not to hard on most engines if you take the valve cover off and the spark plug out. You want to turn it over by hand until you see the intake valve go down and back up the next time the piston comes up should be top dead center on a compression stroke. Repeat for the other side.

EZ

KirkD

So getting ready to setup a lube system and notice that there is a tube fitting on the drive side blade guide bearing assembly but nothing on the other side. Is this where I want it to go? For some reason I had it in my head it should be applying lube to the blade before in enters the log?

Magicman

QuoteI had it in my head it should be applying lube to the blade before in enters the log?
That is where I would want it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

Kirk,
Perhaps the previous owner swapped things around but on my mill the lube is on the entry side.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Darrel

I think that I read somewhere that the early Wood-Mizers had the lube on the drive side, could it be that your mill originally had the lube tubing where you now find it?  I think that I'd be switching it around, there has to be a good reason that saw's now come with the lube system attached to other side.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

KirkD

Getting really close to being able to make some first cuts. Got logs and checked all the alignment this spring.
I have a question on the blade tension gauge and my original Woodmizer manual does not talk about what pressure on the gauge it should be set at. The gauge is old like the mill but it looks like 10,000 is at 12 o'clock and then you get into yellow or orange and then red. I doubt I want it in red but where should I start and how do I know where it should run?

And is that set in the cut or sitting?

paul case

I set mine as tight as I can get it without using a cheater.  That gets it to 3 O'clock. The different colors are for different bands I think. I run 1.25x.042x7/8.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

KirkD

Really wow if I went to 3'clock on this gauge I would be past the red. Yellow starts about 1:30 and red ends about 2:30

paul case

I like to run mine real tight. Never gave any trouble.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Darrel

My gauge is old and can't be read, but I have found if I run it between 2 and 2:30 it runs best.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

Out of curiosity, what year was your mill built Kirkd
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

KirkD

Quote from: Crossroads on July 26, 2017, 05:18:25 PM
Out of curiosity, what year was your mill built Kirkd
It is a LT40HD-G24 1989

KirkD

Crossroads, Where in Oregon are you at?

Chuck White

Quote from: KirkD on July 25, 2017, 10:41:30 PM
Really wow if I went to 3'clock on this gauge I would be past the red. Yellow starts about 1:30 and red ends about 2:30

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I don't agree with maxing out the tension on the band wheels and blade!  :snowball:

I have said it before and I'll say it again,  IMHO, maxing out the tension will accelerate belt wear and will also accelerate wear on the band wheel bearings!

When I put the blade on my mill, I always run the tension up to the top of the orange indicator on the gage and after it turns for a few minutes, the needle on the gage will usually be on the line between the yellow and the orange!

I have no trouble making straight cuts as long as I keep a sharp blade on the mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

I tend to run mine at close to maxed out. I used to just run it midway in the orange but seem to have better results running it higher than that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

petefrom bearswamp

I ran some .055 blades at max a few years ago at the suggestion of Dave Scott at WM
After about 20 hrs or so of sawing I heard a bang and the blade came off.
The v belt on the drive wheel was crushed down to the metal.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I run my blade tension at 6:00 as per the WM technician.  No problems whatsoever, but mine is a '98 model, not an '89.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

Yellow, orange, red all gone, I replaced my gauge last year, no more colors, just white!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

petefrom bearswamp

6 oclock on my gauge is way past the orange.
Are U back home Lynn?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Yup Pete, past mine too.

Yup again.  I am home and will be sawing tomorrow.

KirkD

Sounds like it is all over the board and maybe different gauges in different years mounted differently. I am going to start with Chuck I agree with you so will start there. Lets move on to a new question.

Thank You Sponsors!