iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The biggest Black Walnut in the county.

Started by 123maxbars, January 30, 2016, 05:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I got a call from a local farmer that told me he had the biggest Walnut tree in the country on his farm. After walking through a few hay fields I finally found it. I know this probably is not a record breaker, but the area I live in this is the largest one that I have seen/heard about.  The DBH was around 48in and I was able to measure the width of the crotch area, it came out to 60 inches.  I made the deal this evening with the land owner and me are going to harvest it this spring.  Looks like I will be calling my friend with his Lucas mill to come assist in sawing it into large 8/4 and 12/4 slabs.

http://youtu.be/mhQpUDlQrYA
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Kbeitz

If that cabin was mine i would be fixing it back up...
Nice tree...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

I enjoyed that video, gonna watch more later!
Boy, back in my day..

brianb88

That is a purdy big Walnut tree. Look forward to seeing more about this.
Measure twice, cut once

samandothers

Thank you for the video.  That will will a fun thing to watch as the harvest story unfolds.

outpost22

Great job. Really liked your story and presentation. 
Who's acoustic guitar work is in your background music?
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

rasman57

Enjoyed your adventure so far.  Gonna keep watching your progress.  Thanks for sharing!

redbeard

Keep your stories and videos coming there great.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

drobertson

yea, that wind noise was just too much to handle :D :D :D :D just kidding, pretty calm video, I still like Tenn,  always have and the folks there aint' too bad either, sure make some good breakfast sausage,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

123maxbars

Quote from: outpost22 on January 30, 2016, 10:58:14 AM
Great job. Really liked your story and presentation. 
Who's acoustic guitar work is in your background music?

That was a nice song I found by an unknown artist. youtube will provide you with free songs for your videos once you are a partner.
I am also a musician and hope to put my own music in future videos.
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: drobertson on January 30, 2016, 12:22:28 PM
yea, that wind noise was just too much to handle :D :D :D :D just kidding, pretty calm video, I still like Tenn,  always have and the folks there aint' too bad either, sure make some good breakfast sausage,,

Agreed, and that sausage sure makes some fine gravy too!
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

kderby

Nice video!  You said it is by the creek?  Do you recover the root wad for the wood grain in that part of the tree?  I just learned that they are digging up old redwood stumps in CA.  They are milling slabs from the stumps for tables.  Beautiful!

Kderby

123maxbars

Quote from: kderby on January 30, 2016, 12:35:24 PM
Nice video!  You said it is by the creek?  Do you recover the root wad for the wood grain in that part of the tree?  I just learned that they are digging up old redwood stumps in CA.  They are milling slabs from the stumps for tables.  Beautiful!

Kderby

that is something to think about! I will have to check on that.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!