iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Country/Community Stores

Started by WV Sawmiller, January 31, 2016, 01:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seavee

We still have a store like that around here. People cash there checks ,run tabs, and buy crickets. Good stuff in a small town.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

jwilly3879

We only take checks from certain people and tabs are pretty much gone. It's a great way to lose any profit.

Gas is a good example, had a local person who bought regularly and then asked to charge it for a week until his finances got straightened out. One week turned in two and pretty soon he owed over $300. Cut him off and he never came back, he was paying cash in another town.

A $300 hit like that, while it might not seem like much, means the profit from the next 2000 gallons sold will go to that debt. Have that happen a few times and no one gets to run a tab.

Many people think a store like the wife's a great money makers but the margins are low on most items. Her store burned in 1999 but she chose to rebuild as a service to the community and it has been appreciated by many. It is a small town of about 700 people but there are quite a few who have never set foot in the store and some who only come to try a cash a check that needs to held until payday.

sandsawmill14

our last one was sold to the indians that have moved in around here. they will take over on or around march 15 is what current owner told me when i payed my gas bill :(  thats makes the 4th and last one in the area. 3 of which are within 4 miles of each other ::)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Keith Shirley

WVSawmiller,       Have you been to the Cool Springs store on Route 50, east of Grafton?
It's what you talking about, been around since 1929, they have everything from peanuts to wood stoves. Antique farm equipment, trout stream. I've been there several times on bike rides and camping trips.   

Photo removed by Admin, please use your Forum gallery and guidelines for photos used in posts.

Norwood HD36, Stihl 025, 291, 362. New Holland TN75 4WD with loader, Agco ST35 4WD, Poloras Ranger 700, 2 Honda 450 Foremen 4WD

WV Sawmiller

Keith,

Not yet. Have not spent a lot of time in that part of the state. We live in the southern part. My daughter may have been through there while she was at WVU. If I find myself near there I will look it up as it sounds like the kind of stores I remember and love. Thanks for posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!