The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Woodland mills clutch upgrade ??? bigger engine, but what clutch?  (Read 6911 times)

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: Woodland mills clutch upgrade ??? bigger engine, but what clutch?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 08:48:43 AM »
Check the drive belt tension on regular basis.  It's easy (for me) to overlook.  New belts will stretch initially and then settle in and run for a while.  The original belt stretched pretty fast and I didn't notice until in started slipping.  Slipping makes the belt fail a lot quicker.  By the time it starts slipping, you've already been running too loose for a while.  These clutches hold up pretty well and I would think it's the last thing to cause slippage.   The drive belt will build up sawdust which also causes slippage and vibration. 

On an unrelated subject, the throttle cable will stretch and gradually reduce max rpm's.  It's easy to miss (initially for me anyway).  Losing rpm's with a 9.5 hp mill is not useful.  Grab the throttle lever on the engine when you have the handle fully depressed and see you can make the engine speed up.  If so, the throttle cable needs to be adjusted. 
HM126

Offline mattyo5

• Newish here!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 10:54:34 AM »
Nice post....thanks
Woodland Mills HM126 Sawmill - modded
Husqvarna 385xp rebuilt and ported
Husqvarna 372xp rebuilt and ported
2x Husqvarna 350 ...rebuilt and ported
Hitachi CS33etdb top handle saw

Offline SpyderGreen

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 11:57:15 PM »
My experience with the HM 126 so far...

The stock clutch is horrible. I burnt through the one that came with the mill cutting some pine. Wore the clutch pads out, went metal to metal and the clutch was slipping. I realized this only when at full throttle, I could barely run the blade through the log.

Contacted Woodland Mills and customer service was great. Figure it was the clutch and they sent a replacement one since it was still under warranty.

Problem solved? Nope.

The same outcome. Clutch wore down to metal in less time than the first. Figure it was inferior clutch assembly that Woodland Mills contracted.

On my quest to fine a better clutch, I came across the Hilliard Extreme Duty Clutch...for go-carts of all things. There were some fancier clutch, but for the price and application, the Hilliard clutches were the perfect fit.

Get the one with the bearings and not the bushings. I got mine from northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, by no means I am endorsing them...it was the only place I could get a hold of one. Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200415729_200415729

And no...
I did change the belts, all of them.
Adjust the tension, and the RPMs of the motor. I got a tach for the engine and idle it back to like 900 RPMs, but the stock clutch kept on ringing like a bell, sign that the clutch was engaging and causing premature wear.

So far so good. I've only saw a few 6x6s and 2x6s for a barn build, but I'm not having the same clutch engaging issue. Instead of traditional springs, Hilliard clutches use different style springs and seem to have better results. Spec PDF
http://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/233517.pdf

And if you are going to change the clutch...be prepared to do some work. Definitely get a set of bearing pullers. The best way to get access to the clutch is to take the engine completely off. If you leave it on, you have to pretty much disassemble the head unit to gain access to the pulley. Trust me, take off the four mounting bolts and take the engine off the mill.

When you go back to putting the engine back on, I would leave that stupid clutch guard off...that's the reason why you have to take the engine out in the first place.

Other than that, the mill is still cutting good.
Woodland Mills HM-126
MX5100, KX121-3, Old Dump Truck

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 08:01:18 AM »
Green

About how many board foot you sawed when the clutch went out? With my 126, I done went thru around 30 blades which I get about 500 bf per blade, sometimes more. Mostly oak. My clutch is still good.

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 08:05:23 AM »
SpiderGreen

Thank you for that info after 3 years mine locked up Sunday the blade keep's turning when I idle down  I can still cut with it just keep finger's away

Called Lori yesterday new one is on the way at no charge
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline SpyderGreen

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
Not sure of how many board feet I cut, but I when through like 50 or so white pine logs 16" average diameter. Cut enough to build a small shed and some boards to make raise beds for the garden.

Note: The last picture is after I took the saw head apart. Again, if you are going to change the clutch, take the engine off. I did get to tinker with the mill when I was putting it back together.  ;D

Woodland Mills HM-126
MX5100, KX121-3, Old Dump Truck

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »
I seen clutches on northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company that aren't overpriced

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Will Clutch Fit New Bigger Motor?

Started by skocienski on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 07:00:27 PM
by dgdrls
xx
Woodland HM126 replace Centrifugal Clutch

Started by Pete McLaughlin on Woodland Mills

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2019, 01:22:10 PM
by Pete McLaughlin
xx
clutch systems on diesel mills. What RPM's?

Started by ozarkgem on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post April 17, 2016, 05:19:22 AM
by ozarkgem
xx
Clutch for engine on homebuilt bandmill.

Started by Andre on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post November 21, 2002, 04:39:11 AM
by Andre