The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: I'm nervous! Send help  (Read 4821 times)

Offline alanh

• Share Post
Re: I'm nervous! Send help
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2016, 09:41:57 AM »
Im not an experienced miller but I`ve had the experience of cutting up some 3' X 16' pine on my non hydraulic mill, they only needed the butts trimmed and without our 580 Case backhoe with a 4 way loader bucket AND a 5000 lb forklift it would`ve been IMO, impossible.

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:38 AM »
There's nothing wrong with telling your customer that you made a mistake and after thinking a lot about it, you don't think you can handle those bigger logs.  Either he'll choose smaller trees or pay to have the big ones handled.  That being said, this job CAN be done by you.  It'll take massive amounts of time, energy, fuel, chains, etc.  Anything can be done if you throw enough time and money at it.  If you decide to do this job, I think getting paid by the hour would be better than by the board foot.  Most of your time will be in processing the massive logs in order to get them on your mill!  A nice sit down chat with your customer over a cup of coffee would be a nice way to start, perhaps.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »
    Den-Den made a good point I meant to mention also. Turning quarters or halves is also going to be much harder than turning a round log. I seriously doubt any lone man is going to turn them by himself even with the supersized Logrite cant or peavey hook.

Even handling the 2X10X18 boards are going to be a chore. Do you or the customer have a long trailer or big flatbed truck to haul them on? I've had customers order lumber they could not transport with the equipment they had. May not be your responsibility for the transport but you are going to have to move the boards and need to help advise the customer on such issues as part of your responsibility as the sawyer and functional area expert.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »
Anybody local with a 10" capacity Swing blade mill that you could contract the sawing part too?

That will handle a job like that, probably without moving the logs from where they fall. You could subcontract the actual sawing, and add your charges for the felling / prep work and working as an off-bearer.

Still going to be hard work, but at least you then have the right machine for the job.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2016, 06:22:03 PM »
I kinda missed the 3, 4, and 5 foot part, and didn't realize it was a manual mill...I would try and find him a guy with a swing blade mill like Ianab reccommended. Or a mobile dimension.  That sounds like wayy too much effort for nuttin special..
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 07:01:33 PM »
It is a big job. Tell him you will do it by the hour. Like $175.00, $200.00. Get some of your buddies and pay them $15.00 an hour. 2 or 3 of them. Have them bring there saws. Buy new saw chains for there saws. Have them wear the safety stuff too, If they don't have it get it for them. You can take the price of the stuff out of there pay.
Tell him he is responable for the equipment to move the logs.
Get $1,500 or more to start.

I bet the trees have gone buy and are junk on the in side [the butt log]
And at the end of every week get payed, So when you go home you are even with him.
If he don't like your turms, tell him Have a nice day and go do something else. :D
Keep in mind, you want to make the customer happy but your the BOSS and you don't work for free.   
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline daltonk58

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2016, 07:25:21 PM »
Hey guys sorry I'm just not replying. It was a long day at work.... I read every one's opinions and thoughts, took them seriously and have my mind made up. I think it's too much for me to take on at this point. Lack of equipment/knowledge/ etc. It's frustrating on myself because I love a good challenge and rarely say no to much anything. But I don't want to screw anything up for him as far as lumber goes and more importantly I don't want a bad reputation. Thanks for all the input it really was a lot of help.
Hey everybody! New to the forum and sawing as well. Willing to learn a much as possible. I recently bought a norwood MX 34. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2016, 07:52:21 PM »
   Hard decision but I think your reputation will be rewarded accordingly. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
dalton that is a wise decision you could probably handle 36" logs in shorter lengths but you can destroy a good sawmill with logs that size and you cant make any money on them either i have sawn a bunch of them up to 44-48" but i rolled a 12' pin oak off in the woods a while back that was over 60" in the biggest spot where the limbs grew around it at about 7' up from but it was still about 50" at the little end. told the boss i wasnt going to spend a day and a half sawing pallet stock out of something like that :o ;D there should be some pics in my gallery :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline jtflynn

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 08:04:08 PM »
Dalton.....you made a good choice smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2016, 08:06:59 PM »
You never lose money on a job you don't take.
Boy, back in my day..

Offline lshobie

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2016, 09:14:34 PM »

My crawler loader barely picked up this 14 footer - 18 inches at the butt - red oak.  it lifted the log and the hydraulics would settle to the ground without lever input.  your mill will collapse under the weight of bigger ones and youll never get it straight again.   I bought an alaskan mill to mill these up.

Have fun!
Clark 664C, Woodmizer LT40, Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »
I swear off really big logs every time I try to saw them  :).  My 56 HP tractor limits the size of log that I can pick up and move.  If i can't pick it up with the tractor, I will not mill it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Swamp Fox

• Share Post
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2016, 10:27:13 AM »
I think you made the right choice. That feeling that was making you nervous is your instincts telling you don't do it. I wish I had listened to mine more.

Offline outpost22

• Southern Oregon Cascade Mountains
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
I admire you for taking the voice of experience (guys here) and listening to it.  That puts you one step ahead of me when I was 26. I lost 10K on a job due to inexperience and took years to recover from it.  That lesson later saved me probably 100K in the future as I never repeated it.  Just be glad YOU saved the 10K before a hard lesson was learned  :embarassed:
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 12:00:02 AM »
I've turned down jobs that I thought were beyond my capability -- but I always told the customer exactly why. In a couple of cases the customers came up with alternatives that worked for both of us. The rest respected my decision.

I also once took on a job that was a little past the capabilities of my manual mill. Before I agreed to do the job I told the customer I wasn't sure my mill could handle it, but the only way to find out was to give it a try. He liked my attitude. As it turned out, I got the job done -- took a week to do but it felt like I'd done a month's worth of work. That led to a 5-year working relationship, plus a new hydraulic mill ;D.

It really helps to do the job on paper first -- what steps are you going to take, what equipment will you need, how will you ensure your (and your mill's) safety? How long will it take? What could go wrong?
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Nervous?

Started by hackberry jake on Sawmills and Milling

46 Replies
Last post October 25, 2012, 09:45:31 PM
by Okrafarmer
xx
A very nervous Gringo

Started by jim king on General Board

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 03:09:24 PM
by rebocardo
xx
Up-coming hickory - I'm nervous (SOLD)

Started by WV Sawmiller on Sawmills and Milling

29 Replies
Last post July 26, 2015, 01:38:57 PM
by Larry
xx
Nervous about starting, upgraded again, Matt at TK is taking care of business!

Started by Ronnie on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 02:16:00 PM
by Ronnie