The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Assembly of a Swiss Timber Frame  (Read 947 times)

Offline D L Bahler

• Hopp Schwyz!
    • Share Post
    • Traditional Swiss Carpentry
Assembly of a Swiss Timber Frame
« on: March 30, 2016, 11:14:38 PM »

Here is a video I made detailing the assembly process of one style of Swiss timber framing. This is a platform framing method found in the southern part of the Canton of Bern at the edge of the Alps, and is my all time favorite style of building.

This is a sketchup model complete with detailed joinery (aside from a few missing mortise pockets for windows on the upper level) and I tried to more or less show the order one would use in assembling a frame like this.

This model does not exhibit the regional architectural style, just the framing method. The model was created as an exercise in blending American styles into the Swiss building form.

I thought you all might enjoy seeing a detailed illustration of how framing like this works. You will note it really has very little in common with the more familiar North American styles of framing, and is descended from an entirely different building tradition that probably has been unrelated for five thousand years or so.

Offline ChrisGermany

• Share Post
Re: Assembly of a Swiss Timber Frame
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:51:50 PM »
Love, love, LOVE reading and researching building methods from this area. Wish I could get loose to make a visit and inspect the buildings in person. Thanks for the video!
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter