The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: OldJarheads Milling Thread...  (Read 115824 times)

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
Re: OldJarheads Milling Thread...
« Reply #1160 on: December 06, 2018, 02:35:33 PM »
Ya these are dull and work great other than the odd splitting on the Fir  I think Pine is so soft it just absorbs the twist but the Fir didn't like it.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1161 on: May 14, 2019, 04:58:20 PM »
Howdy All :)

It's been a while!  I've not been milling and recently had trouble holding a coffee cup (that is a major issue) ;D :D but went in and got a shot in the arm (Kenalog and Lidocaine I believe -- kinda the same thing as Cortisone but for tendons) and am told I will be able to use the arm for a couple months now ;)

So, I'm heading to Portland/Hillsoro to try to mill up some English Walnut (you probably saw my other posts) and am hopeful I will be able to roll the biggest logs to the front of the house where the mill will be without too much pain (good luck right?).  I intend to bring my chainsaws but I hate to cut out any crotch that I don't have to so I can mill it up and see what I can get out of it.

I have a fellow an hour or so away with a KILN that has agreed to let me get some of it dried up after I air dry a while and I'm hoping to actually have some wood to play with this fall/winter season.

Other than that I also hope to mill up a bunch of D logs for our cabin this spring so I can start on an addition.  However, admittedly, I haven't been falling trees or milling anything for a while other than a couple weeks ago when I fell two small pines and one that was 20" at chest height which resulted in much pain and left handed coffee drinking.

I've actually been working on my VA comp stuff over the last 18 months or so and I guess you could say it's gone well (LOL) but I'm not likely to mill as much as I want moving forward (two bad disc's in my neck, permanently separated SC joint in shoulder all related to an injury in the corps 30 years ago to start off anyway and which has finally come home to roost I guess).  But we will see!  The shot in the arm might have me back in action and I hope so!

But I'm being realistic and might be doing more camping and fishing than milling this year with hopes of making more sawdust in the future -- but I will at least mill this walnut up this weekend!

Wish me luck! (and see the other threads in case you live in the area and are a glutton for punishment -- i.e. are willing to help move logs or something and meet up too of course!)

Cheers
Erik

Offline CCCLLC

• Full Member x2
  • It's not to big, load it!
    • Share Post
    • Carolina Custom Cut
« Reply #1162 on: May 14, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »
Good to hear from you, missed your posts.Take care of yourself.

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1163 on: May 14, 2019, 07:20:32 PM »
Thanks and will do!  Trying to get healed up enough to at least get some personal milling done and have a potential customer for later in the spring or early summer (but you know how those are).

Who knows?  Might get some milling done yet ;)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1164 on: May 14, 2019, 08:47:24 PM »
If you were closer I would be all about coming to help. Just the knowledge I could learn would be worth the trip. plus I do love that area.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #1165 on: May 14, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
Erik, it is good to hear from you.  I hope that you will get some much needed relief from your maladies.  Find a strong young fellow to do the heavy lifting.  Fishing and camping aren't too bad to have as contingency plans to keep yourself active.
Kyle
Caveman

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1166 on: May 19, 2019, 03:44:55 PM »

heading home with a truck full of English Walnut and a sore back but all smiles :)

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #1167 on: May 19, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »
Is that gas can supposed to ride back there? Maybe to deter tailgaters?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline cbla

• Share Post
« Reply #1168 on: May 20, 2019, 11:11:13 AM »
those slabs couldn't have been light! nice work.

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #1169 on: May 20, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »
Iím glad it all worked out, Those are some good looking slabs.....
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1170 on: May 20, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
A pickup load of slabs with a sawmill in tow and parked in a parking lot. Looks like good advertising to me. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1171 on: May 20, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »

Some of the slabs from this weekend :)  Ended up with 33 slabs in total and some of them are 24" across and 78" long (2.25" thick)....my back is sore LOL but all of the wood was brought in (it was already starting to stain in the truck bed after just 48hrs!)

There are air gaps around them now but in the garage the air doesn't move much so I'll have to get a fan and maybe a dehumidifier in there until I can get them stacked and stickered (sooner the better I am thinking).

Still debating if I will do here on the north side of the house (less direct sun that way -- we're pretty deserty here) where there is good air movement most of the time, or take them to the cabin and leave them up there (like all the other wood I have).

Truth is, I'd like to get some of the big slabs dried in a kiln and am looking at that now but the guy prefer's air dried first and seems like he takes a LONG time to kiln dry walnut (like months) so maybe building my own mini kiln would be best.

I am wondering how these will do in the garage like this?  I've never done it this way before but I wanted to get them somewhere they weren't stacked on top of one another modling away!

Also, I was wondering if a typical garden fungicide would work on the mold that started already?

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1172 on: May 21, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »
One thing I was thinking was that I should cut those ends flat and perpendicular to the centers.  They would stand better for one, end seal well and later be better to work with I think

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #1173 on: May 21, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
That is what I do.  Well worth the time.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1174 on: May 21, 2019, 08:44:16 PM »
You mean cutting them and then adding the arbor seal?  or using fungicide?  Or both?

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #1175 on: May 21, 2019, 08:49:23 PM »
Cutting the ends square.  I anchorseal before sawing. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1176 on: May 21, 2019, 08:52:19 PM »
I think the mold will be ok after the surface is dry.  looks nice.  You could build a temporary solar kiln to get them started, figure how much space you need in terms of length, ht, and width.  stacking and stickering will help keep it flat but that thick will prob. do what ever it wants.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1177 on: May 24, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  We are running up to the property this weekend and I can pick up stickers there so we can do a full stack and sticker when we return.  For now I've been trimming ends and applying arborseal.  Incidentally, I also apply to my logs first (saves so much work really) but my sister didn't have any and my new batch arrived after we left to mill up the logs so I was left with trimming ends and sealing at home...tough go on 2 1/4" walnut slabs that are 18-23" across and 60 to 75" tall!  Those are heavy suckers!

Meanwhile, with them all standing upright (since I can't sticker them yet) I placed a fan in the garage and a dehumidifier.  That thing drew half a tank of water into itself in about 4hrs!  WOW!

I am hoping the air movement in the garage with the big fan and the DH will help the slabs dry while we wait to sticker, then I can sticker them in the garage for now and place the big box fan facing the stack to drive air through it and the DH in the room to get rid of the moisture.  It aint a kiln, nor it is a nice stack outside with wind to drive the water out but here where we live it's the best I can do for now so I'm hoping it works out while I make plans to either build a kiln or pay someone to dry the stuff.

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1178 on: May 24, 2019, 08:06:15 AM »
Wow!  In the first 4hrs the DH removed about a half gallon of water, then overnight it was filled and shut off.  46% humidity outside and there are cracks in the doors of the garage so it may not be because of the wood but it was warm yesterday (over 80F out) and the garage was warm and humid (I'm sure the wood had something to do with that) so I think it's drying.

No more mold and no major new checks that I can see but I still have some to trim and endseal.

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #1179 on: May 24, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
About half way through getting all the slabs trimmed and sealed.  Most of the big heavy stuff is done so the back half should be easier.

I placed a 20" box fan and set it on the high setting to push some air around the garage.  On this side (please ignore the mess!) it pushes away from the doors.

Next I placed the dehumidifier on the other side of the garage with it's exhaust facing the doors.  My hope is to move the air around the room somewhat, in a circular pattern.  Not sure if it is working or will help but it's the best I have at the moment.

This thing was FULL over night and will be again so I'm debating shutting it off for the weekend since I won't be here to empty it.  Otherwise I'll need to run a hose to the outside for it (might be a good option).

Thought you might like to see this one ;)_

And...

But this isn't a good sign! It is one of the longer slabs that it's the right width for a bench so my wife decided it should be one ;)  But I need to get it sealed asap before that check gets worse!

And then

I also need to get the bases of these slabs off the concrete.  My back has improved some so I'll get to it this afternoon (have to work my day job first).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee on Sawmills and Milling

599 Replies
Last post December 01, 2016, 08:32:58 AM
by paul case
xx
2011 Pig Roast Thread (now the RSVP Thread Please let us know if you might come)

Started by Jeff on General Board

242 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:47:47 AM
by Jeff
xx
Woodworker asking Milling Advice / MS441C Alaskan Milling vs 394xp

Started by Pavilion_Wood on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2019, 08:50:01 PM
by Altamaha
xx
Help milling spalted maple (first time milling)

Started by mikebifolco on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 09:54:49 PM
by mikebifolco