iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Flooding on the Yakima river had us hold off that log.  Not sure when I will get back.

With luck and a happy mill (feed problem again) I will be back milling next week.  

Should be busy for the next few if all goes well then it's fire season and I don't mill much then.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Still at it!  Milled up some black locust despite some hickups!

KenMac

Just an observation here, but where did you find any logs there? Looks like endless open land to me. ??? ???
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

OlJarhead

He found them in nearby towns ;)

OlJarhead

On the road again...

After replacing the rear control board due to a feed issue (video in the near future) I finally got my truck back from the shop and hit the road for a ten day sawdust roadshow.

OlJarhead

Yeehaw!  Old Jarheads Sawdust Roadshowis done for this month!  700+ miles and 8000+ board feet done.

Glad ti be home!

These pics were the last location up in the North Idaho mountains and it was just awesome with a fantastic customer!  Funny thing, we worked in the same industry with the same poeple and had a grand time!

Crossroads

Looks good my friend, I just got back from the McCall area. Finished what was scheduled for 4 days in 3 days. Was at this same site in October for 4 1/2 days and will probably be going back next year. Even got to go scouting for elk 2 evenings where I'll be hunting this fall 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OlJarhead

Awesome!  I had no energy to do much but have a drink and go to bed early ;)

I have. o plans to mill for the next 6 weeks so maybe I can make that trek for a burger with ya!

Crossroads

That would be great, I've been moving a lot of dirt getting ready for the new milling shed. Hopefully after tomorrow I'll be able to layout where the building will be. I'm booked through august during the week, but Saturday is usually a good day or Sunday afternoon. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Peter Drouin

Get well soon. And the best of luck. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

Thanks Peter, though other than back problems I always try to take the hottest and coldest part if the year off ;)  Just too beat up to keep at it all year ;)

Kevin I will try to sneak off that way in a week or two uess you will be milling closer to my way then maybe I could come out and visit on a job if you wouldn't mind it.  Could be fun to video it!

Erik

Crossroads

I don't have anything scheduled out your way. I've been breaking ground getting ready for my sawmill building. I had a cancellation for Wednesday, so I hope to finish pushing dirt and lay out the building. 

OlJarhead

Jeep through another dreaded PO6DD code and went into limp mode last night.  I cleared the code but am wondering if I might want to take a much closer look at the issue.  It's likely a wiring issue (the code is for the high pressure circuit on the oil pump being stuck off) or the sensor as usually I can clear it and it will operate just fine for 2 or 3 thousand miles....then usually comes back.  First time it was suggested it might just be the oil filter, changed it out with fresh oil and code was gone for maybe 5k miles...then came back...cleared, changed oil etc...3k miles later, codes back etc.

Anyway, the point!  I planned on heading your way soon but need to sort out this darn code first I think rather than get stranded somewhere in limp mode ;)  But I'll make it that way soon!

terrifictimbersllc

OJH what vehicle is doing this-you write Jeep in your post (?).
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

I read it as "Jeep threw another code..."
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OlJarhead

yes, threw...strange it came out as through.

My Jeep Wrangler Rubicon ;)

OlJarhead

Inosculation?  I learned a new word!  I've seen this a couple times and each time I'm just amazed at it:
Mystery of an Unusual Maple on the Wood Mizer LT40 - YouTube

What amazes me the most is that the tree in the middle is cut off flat (2nd time I've see this) and it's about 3 or 4 inches across...and fully absorbed!.

On a side note, we stopped by Wood Mizer Oregon back in June and my wife was admiring the jacket the gal up front was wearing.  I asked about it to see if I could get one because I hadn't looked on the website in a while....got home and saw them on the site and was thinking of getting one for the wife since she really liked it....then a box arrived unexpectedly from Wood Mizer....I thought "Hmmm I didn't order any more parts!"....yup, Wood Mizer Oregon, you are the best!  My wife is so happy!  She's over the moon!  THANKS!  You made her day!

Crossroads

That's cool! Rob typically makes sure I leave with a new hat when I stop in, but I have been known to drop off smoked cheese. 

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

Nice vid. 

BTW, this is the first time I noticed your extra pair of side supports are not connected to the main pair. I saw you raise them by hand. Mine are connected by a pair of rods so they all raise and lower automatically when I toggle the lever. Is that an option for yours? Looks to me like that might save you a few steps now and then plus I have the knowledge/confidence if my blade clears the first one it will clear the rest.

I love the extra side supports. They are sure handy when sawing short (<8') logs. I am surprised WM does not make them a standard feature on all their mills and has not come up with a similar arrangement for their mills with the vertical side supports like the LT50 and such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

I've been asked that before and it was an option when I bought the mill in '16 but I was cheap ;) (trying to keep the cost of the mill down)....I've been told they aren't hard to install and I need to see if I can order a set of the arms!

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 26, 2022, 09:02:46 AMI am surprised WM does not make them a standard feature on all their mills
The 4 powered side supports are standard on the LT40 SuperHydraulic.t

The kit is about $475 plus tax & shipping.  I considered adding it to mine last month but I do not saw enough short stuff to justify the cost.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, and since you are slowing down anyway... :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Crossroads

I had them all 4 powered when I bought mine in 2017 and I'm glad I did. Worth every penny in my opinion. 

Magicman

I was sorta doing mostly clean up and sawing the shorts on the Cypress job yesterday afternoon and I quickly grew weary of constantly moving the manual side supports up and down.

MMmmmm......
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!