iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remle

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 15, 2023, 06:39:15 PM
Quote from: beenthere on March 15, 2023, 06:34:19 PM
The spalted maple is likely going to be green, not dry when sawing the log.
Ahhh....not doing much maple etc I thought it was more like Blue Stain on pine (sits, bugs get at it, blue stain develops etc)...
I wouldn't say spalted maple is green, green IMHO means it was just recently harvested. IMHO splatting occurs after it has been laying around for a long time and the fiber structure has started to decay due to heavy moisture content or the tree died along time ago and has been standing dead. Maybe I am wrong and others can set me straight.

beenthere

"green" is usually meant to be anything over the fiber saturation point (fsp). So laying on the ground for spalting would likely mean the wood in the log is still over that fsp.

But personal opinions do vary.. no problem there.

Spalting is a discoloration in the wood caused by fungi leaving dark dotted or lined patterns that some like for "art" wood. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OlJarhead

Sounds a lot like blue stain though usually pine doesn't stain until it's down, however, if attacked successfully by pine borers it will happen.  In this case it's fungus that is on the boring beetles 'teeth' and once they get through the bark the fungus begins to weaken the trees defense making it easier for the beetle to get in. 
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

TimW

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 01, 2023, 09:36:59 PM
Hydraulics Issue - YouTube

ok, pushing with my fingers on the microswitch gives the sound I am talking about.

A little later I move one of the levers a bunch and it starts working so you can hear the difference. This, us the problem I'm having.
Sounds to me like the pump is cavitating and starting to die.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

OlJarhead

Thanks for all the replies.

I dropped off the motor to the shop Friday and am awaiting their word on replacing it.  Also instructed them to make sure I got the old one back so I could rebuild it (I'm wondering if it was the brushes after all but with so few hours (660) you would think it wouldn't be that worn from what others have said.

You can see me running it here in this video (and see a Super run at the same time as well as my mill back in July - I smashed them together).
(57) Sawmill Hydraulics Maintenance -- Nope, that's not the problem! - YouTube
What's interesting is that it was about 10% slower even when running 'normally' than it was in July so who knows?

OlJarhead

Apparently replacing the motor solved my hydraulics issue.  Now I need to open up the old one and look at the blushes

barbender

Awesome👍 It must be the brushes, but that is a premature failure. I do believe on my ol girl ('97) it calls for having the brushes inspected at 800 or 1000 hours.

If you can rebuild your old motor, it's a great item to have a spare on the shelf anyhow.
Too many irons in the fire

OlJarhead

Thanks and those are my thoughts (too early for the brushes but having a spare motor will be good).

It will be interesting to tear it all down and see ;) and I plan to go pick up the mill (and the pay the price for having someone else check and pull the motor and replace for me while I was at my day job)...and then I will start some testing :D

chet

Seems most times I have a DC motor problem, it turns out to be a brush just hanging up in it's holder. It's just a matter of cleaning it up, and it's good ta go again.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Magicman

Notice in the link that I provided in Reply #1896, two brushes were worn and two were still like new.  I only replaced the worn ones.  In the other motor that runs the exact same length of time, there was no wear on any of the 4 brushes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Yep, I had a time diagnosing a feed motor issue.  Turned out to be brushes at about 500 hrs. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

I've experienced the same thing with my Super, Magic. One motor died, the brushes were completely gone. I finally got around to pulling the other one apart, and the brushes looked like new🤷 I looked both ways and put it back together 😊

OlJarhead

I'm convinced that's the issue!  I pick up the mill today!

OlJarhead

OK!  Hopefully today will be the final day of fixing the hydraulics.  The inline valve for the side supports and log turner is cracked and I need to replace it today then I should be able to run some tests and do the spring maintenance so I can mill up a maple I quartered with he CSM last fall.

Meanwhile, this might interest you all since it's probably the same story for many of us here.  Heck, most of you probably already remember much of this story since it played out here on FF from 2010 through 2016 and beyond :D  Much of it in this very thread!  So, here it is:
Paying off a Sawmill in 13 Months?! Here's How I Did It! - YouTube

OlJarhead

Ugh -- my back didn't let me get the last repair done yet :(  Just need to replace that one inline vavle which hopefully won't take much and then I should be back to 100% and ready to go cut up some maple.

I also need to tear down the old motor which I hope to do soon.  Since I didn't take it off and it's in the new motor box, I am hoping the tech marked it when it came off....which I hear is important.

OlJarhead

OK!  If the rain holds off and I can get the valve replaced today, I'll be milling up some maple tomorrow!  Woot!  Here's hoping!  8)

Meanwhile, this one was fun!
IT'S TOO BIG FOR THE SAWMILL! MASSIVE MAPLE! - YouTube

Peter Drouin

Brushes are the first thing I look at when I have a motor problem.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

When the sprayer is out of the frame, it does kinda look like you are goin potty on the log!   :o :o :o  :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

lol that's what my wife kept say lol
.eanwhile I have more work to do!

barbender

That thing would not meet YH's log qualifications😁

OlJarhead

lol but it meets my customers 😉

Meanwhile after replacing the two-way valve and fixing that leak, I discovered the 2nd was also cracked!!!!!

OlJarhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snt2hNcNaz4
While I'm waiting on my new vavle...here's the last of the old homestead work :)

Now I really need to get the mill fixed!  Work is piling up so the new valve can't come soon enough!  I should be back to milling next weekend if it arrives before then.

Meanwhile I also ordered a new bar for the chainsaw (ruined the last one when the saw fell and was pinched when quartering up another big maple) as I'll need to do some saw work on the big sycamore logs I need to mill up.

Goo thing the next few jobs are all local :D

OlJarhead

Well, my new valve arrives Wednesday or at least FedEx says so...then I hope to get it installed Friday before we head off to get some work done at the cabin which should include falling some timber and getting it onto the sawmill :D  Sure hope I can finally get back to milling D Logs.

OlJarhead

OK!  With luck I'll get that valve replaced (it's in the worst spot!  The inside valve, guess I'm laying on the ground for this one!

Then I'm going to be doing some milling!  Woot!  8) and I have jobs piling up and I'm not even advertising!  Ugh. I hate working...that has to stop!

Meanwhile, here is the last of the video I did last year (and finally produced)...no sawmill, all CSM work but just to quarter up a big maple to get it ready for the saw -- which of course, had problems, then winter hit full force like nothing we'd had in 20 years and of course, I didn't fix the mill (over and over again) but finally I should be back to making sawdust with the mill this week!
Granberg Edging Mill & Husqvarna 572xp vs BIG Maple! - YouTube

OlJarhead

8) 8) 8) Drum Roll Please!!!

dancing-jack The MILL IS FIXED!!!  Finally got the last sequencing valve in and no more leaks! :D  YeeHa!  Off to the cabin and some milling this week so I'll be putting it to the test and of course filming it for y'all -- hopefully no more cussing!  ::) ;D

Thank You Sponsors!